The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the 2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Clock Tower Prison

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

The only 'disappointment' for me is that the BPA did not line up with RHD, particularly at 10 and 40.  On the other hand, I did not expect Seider to be gone at 10, nor Podkolzin to be there, so it's impossible to be 'disappointed' with 10 - Podkolzin represents another principal need imo.   And at 40, again, I was thinking a Korczak or even Helleson might be nice if they were the bpa there, but Hoglander imo 'should' have gone in the mid 20s, so I consider him a steal at 40.

Miller - for me - is an ideal add - one that actually complements / enhances the conditions for two of your young core players - EP and Boeser - I consider that a reasonable cost on a well-crafted trade target - so we can agree to disagree on that.

But the reason I'm quoting your post as opposed to just responding to the thread in general - is the bolded part - where do you take this Benning feeling from (do you have a reference where he says that, or is it your perception?) - and what makes it so  super 'weird'?

Benning said it at the press conference when talking about the JT Miller trade at around the 4 minute mark. When I re-listened to the interview, I formed my opinion in context to the Miller trade. Not in the context of the question Benning was asked and the way he answered. My bad.

When I said it was super weird, I was thinking that having Rafferty and co. being the next crop of guys in the pipeline who could possibly make the jump to the NHL wasn't worth surrendering a first round pick in either 2020 or 2021. Especially when our would be #1 and #2 in Hughes and Joulevi still haven't played a full season in the NHL. 

When I consider the fact that Benning surrendered a pick from #15-31 and who's been drafted in those spots, I find it really strange. Dante Fabbro, K'Andre Miller, Rasmus Sandin. These are the types of players the Canucks need in their system.

I personally think the JT Miller trade should have happened at the end of this current season. After Hughes and Joulevi have gained some NHL experience.

Edited by Clock Tower Prison
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1