The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not sure if we are necessarily grooming Gaudette for the same role. If anything, if Sutter is indeed moved, I'd expect Beagle to take on more of the load as Gaudette continues to get sheltered. Gaudette was excellent in college because he was the go-to offensive driver whereas he's being expected to play more defensively here. I'm not sure if he's being coached that way or if he's afraid to make some mistakes and has been playing it safe. I think if/when Gaudette does make it full time, I assume we may consider running 3 offensive lines and an energy/checking line as opposed to our current set up with two "defensive" lines. I think this switch will occur with our younger top 6 maturing to take on bigger minutes and understanding the rigors, so there is less need to shelter them from the tougher assignments.

Absolutely and that is the best case scenario for sure, Theo.  I just don't see that happening for this season, or at least until February.  I think Gaud would really benefit playing top line offensive mins in Utica; maybe join the team when Roussel gets back.  Roussel  Gaud  Virt would look like a great #3 offensive line.  If Sutter is looking half way decent; he would be great trade bait (I really think a team like the Oilers could use him).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

look-simba-everything-the-light-touches-is-vancouver-wow-but-281154.png

Was downtown last night at the Paul McCartney show...

Vancouver is now 100 % full of homeless crack heads.  I  really miss the Vancouver i  grew up in the 80's. and 90's ..  Basically Vancouver has become unliveable now .  So happy once i left and moved out to Whiterock  / Crescent beach areas....

Edited by kingofsurrey

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely and that is the best case scenario for sure, Theo.  I just don't see that happening for this season, or at least until February.  I think Gaud would really benefit playing top line offensive mins in Utica; maybe join the team when Roussel gets back.  Roussel  Gaud  Virt would look like a great #3 offensive line.  If Sutter is looking half way decent; he would be great trade bait (I really think a team like the Oilers could use him).

I don't expect Sutter to be traded this offseason. I, too, am hoping he strings together a decent season and expect Gaudette to get bigger minutes in Utica. This is the only way to up Sutter's value while still developing Gaudette. However if we are looking like a team fighting for a wild card/playoff spot, I'm curious if we decide to move on from Sutter if he is contributing towards that success.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't expect Sutter to be traded this offseason. I, too, am hoping he strings together a decent season and expect Gaudette to get bigger minutes in Utica. This is the only way to up Sutter's value while still developing Gaudette. However if we are looking like a team fighting for a wild card/playoff spot, I'm curious if we decide to move on from Sutter if he is contributing towards that success.

Yeah, it would likely be 'all hands on deck' and then he get's traded next draft or off season. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Way, way too many CDC posters don't understand that it takes more than players with good offensive skills to make a strong team.  A real team has strong players at every role, including good faceoff men, defensive players, and at least one or two willing pugilists.  A team that has only high-scoring finesse players is doomed to failure when the playoffs begin  -- we've just got way too many posters who don't understand that!

Offense isn't enough -- especially as long as the league officiates differently in the playoffs.  PP time is always down and that's where so many players get their offensive numbers.  I agree completely.  I think most of us know that.

2 things, though:

(1) For me, as a fan, I'm interested in seeing good hockey, which usually means scoring, or at least controlling the puck.  I didn't enjoy the days when New Jersey played the trap, nor the days when the Flyers attempted to beat teams into submission. 

(2) our team -- Canucks of 2018-2019 was a poor scoring TEAM.  Pettersson was amazing.  Horvat was Bergeron 2.0, in a way;  Fantastic.  And Boeser and Baertschi when they weren't injured were great.  Virtanen improved in points too (and defensively.)  Roussel was a fantastic pick up: points and character, and some jam like we haven't had in years.

We had a LOT of intangibles and character: I'd rank our team morale and work ethic with the best around.  

But, it was not enough.  Too many older/injury-prone players in the top 3 on D (Edler and Tanev); AND not enough scoring.

That's why offense should be emphasized and noted here when it happens.

I'm not alone in emphasizing offense/points.  Benning traded a first round pick for exactly the offensive depth we were lacking.  Myers and Benn increase our chances of not having to rely on Edler or Tanev as much as last year.  Myers gives us some points and Hughes is primarily drafted and on the team as fast as he is because of offense.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Hutton Wink said:

nuksforward.png.ce80ad3908ca2a6ec73cd50fnuksd.png.bac23841bf1019773536701246d126

And there's any question why the team did so poorly in November?  The wonder is how they won any games at all.

Absolutely NOTHING like the roster we'll have this year.  Night and day.

I just saw this post again.

Good god that is disturbing lol.

4 of those top 6 forwards should not be in the top 6 --> hell 3 of them should not be in the NHL!!

Only 3 of the bottom 6 forwards should be playing.

That D is ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!!  Thank God 4 of the 6 are gone from this team!!!

I can only shake my head at that line up lol.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Super pumped.

Some do not like Myers, but he's a great talent.  And this is a reasonable cap hit for a UFA.

Expect us to protect Myers, Hughes & Juolevi in expansion; ideally re-sign Alex Edler again.

Our rebuild is progressing.  We should be a strong competitor for a wild card spot.  Dallas, St Louis, Calgary top 3? Colorado & Nashville the key competition in the Midwest for a wildcard. Chicago an outside shot? Minny in for a hard year...       The best division in hockey, bar none!

Vegas, Calgary, but San Jose, Edmonton or us for 3rd?    I don't think any Pacific team will wild card?

You know under regular odds as how strong teams are, i'd agree with roughly where we stand but if the others teams up from us sustain injuries to their fire power we could easily move up plus for once the gruelling schedule isn't as bad and if we manage to stay somewhat healthy for a change that will help and i like that JB is on focus for roster players to play a full 200 ft game to take the pressure off D and G, and get our goals against lowered so winning more of all those one goal losses last year will move us up as we get better at that.

Anyway, we're looking a lot better than that already and i really do think it boils down just to how many of those games by one goal we can win will be a tell tale sign of where we'll end up... the year before was the same.. way too many losses by 1 and i think if we can win half of those we're easily in.  imo anyway.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just saw this post again.

Good god that is disturbing lol.

4 of those top 6 forwards should not be in the top 6 --> hell 3 of them should not be in the NHL!!

Only 3 of the bottom 6 forwards should be playing.

That D is ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC!!  Thank God 4 of the 6 are gone from this team!!!

I can only shake my head at that line up lol.

On paper, and probably every where else, we have a LOT better team this year.  The D is really really striking.  Glad you put that up, thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

You know under regular odds as how strong teams are, i'd agree with roughly where we stand but if the others teams up from us sustain injuries to their fire power we could easily move up plus for once the gruelling schedule isn't as bad and if we manage to stay somewhat healthy for a change that will help and i like that JB is on focus for roster players to play a full 200 ft game to take the pressure off D and G, and get our goals against lowered so winning more of all those one goal losses last year will move us up as we get better at that.

Anyway, we're looking a lot better than that already and i really do think it boils down just to how many of those games by one goal we can win will be a tell tale sign of where we'll end up... the year before was the same.. way too many losses by 1 and i think if we can win half of those we're easily in.  imo anyway.. 

We lost at least 2 games last year because we didn't have a back up goalie, lol.  We had 3 wins escape us because we lacked shut down D (injuries.)  We missed getting points in a pile of games we lost by one goal because we couldn't seem to get a goal when we needed it.  

I figure this gives us at least 10 points at the absolute minimum.  Throw in the fact that Benn and Myers will deter abuse of Pettersson a bit; and add Hughes's contributions and I think we have a much better team chance of getting more than those 10 points.   Miller is a gift, we haven't had secondary scoring like that since.... Kesler on a good year?

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

On paper, and probably every where else, we have a LOT better team this year.  The D is really really striking.  Glad you put that up, thank you!

Did you notice that it noted pouliot had a higher rating then Tanman by .1 only but LMAO!!! As if! "Eye roll"

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, gameburn said:

We lost at least 2 games last year because we didn't have a back up goalie, lol.  We had 3 wins escape us because we lacked shut down D (injuries.)  We missed getting points in a pile of games we lost by one goal because we couldn't seem to get a goal when we needed it.  

I figure this gives us at least 10 points at the absolute minimum.  Throw in the fact that Benn and Myers will deter abuse of Pettersson a bit; and add Hughes's contributions and I think we have a much better team chance of getting more than those 10 points.   Miller is a gift, we haven't had secondary scoring like that since.... Kesler on a good year?

Wait... pauses for the Benning haters to say sh_it about it... 

Anyway getting Miller was wayyyy more important to this team than some people (Media especially) think...  

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Wait... pauses for the Benning haters to say sh_it about it... 

I'm not sure about some the free agent signings from previous years -- we've all had our doubts at times -- but I have to say, this year the team is much, much improved. Hughes for a full year together with the Miller trade, this changes a lot.  Myers and Benn allow us to not rely on Edler and Tanev so much. So, I'd say Benning addressed our biggest concerns: lack of depth on D, and secondary scoring beyond Boeser, Horvat, and EP40.  If Roussel and Stecher have as good years this year as they had last year?  The team is much stronger.

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I'm not sure about some the free agent signings from previous years -- we've all had our doubts at times -- but I have to say, this year the team is much, much improved. Hughes for a full year together with the Miller trade, this changes a lot.  Myers and Benn allow us to not rely on Edler and Tanev so much. So, I'd say Benning addressed our biggest concerns: lack of depth on D, and secondary scoring beyond Boeser, Horvat, and EP40.  If Roussel and Stecher have as good years this year as they had last year?  The team is much stronger.

That's not including core having another year experience with each that they learned from AND picking up Kielly for another back up, potential starter one day was another score addressing depth... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When you live in Surrey, it’s hard to look forward when you’re constantly looking over your shoulder. 

FYI - Preworkout burns like a mother coming out your nose. :lol:

49 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Vancouver is now 100 % full of homeless crack heads.  I  really miss the Vancouver i  grew up in the 80's. and 90's ..  Basically Vancouver has become unliveable now .  So happy once i left and moved out to Whiterock  / Crescent beach areas....

Does that make you the King of “South” Surrey? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

That is true for last season, which was his 5th year in the NHL.  In his 1st year, Bonino helped out with some defensive zone coverage and Bo was somewhat sheltered from the heavy loads. 

The 2nd year was a disaster for the kid; what with Sutter going down early and having to take the complete defensive coverage and it showed in his -30.  This could have stunted his development, but for the tremendous character, skills and man-size physique this young man had at only 20yrs old.

The following year Sutter was back(81games) and Bo has a breakout season (top pts in the lineup and a -7), as well as the following season (Sutter 61games) despite only playing in 64games Bo gets 44pts and a -1.

Last season, I would consider Bo an NHL veteran.  His leadership, influence on teammates and high level of skills have come together like a seasoned vet, who can withstand whatever comes at him and still come out golden.  Sutter goes down early and then Beagle goes down later on, but Bo does a good job of holding things together until Beagle returns; all the while having his best year to date (82gs-61pts -4) at 23yrs old.  The guy is a beast.

Still, one has to imagine what his season could be like if a healthy Sutter returns to the lineup and Bo doesn't have to tend to the team's defensive needs all the time.  Not knocking Gaud, but he really isn't ready for the heavy defensive duties yet, so I'd really like to see Sutter take the the 3C spot and free up Bo's line.

Besides, if Sutter is looking good later in the season, he gets a decent return in a trade and (hopefully) Gaudette is ready to take the challenge at 3C.

Guad is at the same place Bo was, he went into focus on a complete game mode and didn't score much in his first go at the big... came back continued but started to get back to his offensive self, hope he keeps it up and comes back this year with a vengeance.. there will be bottom six injuries so i'm glad he's in the process and depth that is nhl quality so we don't weaken with injuries and go on losing sprees.. Gaudette was a great signing with 2nd line sniping ability that helped him win the HBA so loving this!

But hopefully my dark horse, Big Mac does the same.. JV is almost there but some take longer than others on the consistancy side..  

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

That is true for last season, which was his 5th year in the NHL.  In his 1st year, Bonino helped out with some defensive zone coverage and Bo was somewhat sheltered from the heavy loads. 

The 2nd year was a disaster for the kid; what with Sutter going down early and having to take the complete defensive coverage and it showed in his -30.  This could have stunted his development, but for the tremendous character, skills and man-size physique this young man had at only 20yrs old.

The following year Sutter was back(81games) and Bo has a breakout season (top pts in the lineup and a -7), as well as the following season (Sutter 61games) despite only playing in 64games Bo gets 44pts and a -1.

Last season, I would consider Bo an NHL veteran.  His leadership, influence on teammates and high level of skills have come together like a seasoned vet, who can withstand whatever comes at him and still come out golden.  Sutter goes down early and then Beagle goes down later on, but Bo does a good job of holding things together until Beagle returns; all the while having his best year to date (82gs-61pts -4) at 23yrs old.  The guy is a beast.

Still, one has to imagine what his season could be like if a healthy Sutter returns to the lineup and Bo doesn't have to tend to the team's defensive needs all the time.  Not knocking Gaud, but he really isn't ready for the heavy defensive duties yet, so I'd really like to see Sutter take the the 3C spot and free up Bo's line.

Besides, if Sutter is looking good later in the season, he gets a decent return in a trade and (hopefully) Gaudette is ready to take the challenge at 3C.

Can you imagine Ferland Pearson and Bo? _uck!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Guad is at the same place Bo was, he went into focus on a complete game mode and didn't score much in his first go at the big... came back continued but started to get back to his offensive self, hope he keeps it up and comes back this year with a vengeance.. there will be bottom six injuries so i'm glad he's in the process and depth that is nhl quality so we don't weaken with injuries and go on losing sprees.. Gaudette was a great signing with 2nd line sniping ability that helped him win the HBA so loving this!

But hopefully my dark horse, Big Mac does the same.. 

You know that the team is improving when you have NHL (and almost NHL ready) players on the farm team.  Having that kind of depth is much needed and I hope it continues in the coming years.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

That’s crap! People from Whiterock would never call themselves The King Of Surrey. What has this got to do with hockey by the way?

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You know that the team is improving when you have NHL (and almost NHL ready) players on the farm team.  Having that kind of depth is much needed and I hope it continues in the coming years.

Thing is, there are only so many roster spots and depth spots and finally we're getting and more on the way if we do the development properly we can trade for picks (schnieds for Horvat) essentially was a huge win.

More of that please! 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Unfortunately, Surrey gets a bad rep based on the older parts like Whalley and Newton which are mixed industrial and residential.  I don't like that area much myself.  

South Surrey, west of the highway reminds me very much of the west side of Vancouver back when I first moved to Vancouver in the 80's.  Since many people who work in Vancouver can no longer afford to live there even on incomes well above 6-figures, they have moved to South Surrey and other areas.

Surrey has been slagged as long as I can remember and much of it is deserved imo but there certainly are parts that are quite nice.  Those who don't believe it just haven't been there. 

46 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

That’s crap! People from Whiterock would never call themselves The King Of Surrey. What has this got to do with hockey by the way?

I have my ideas as to the identity of the King of Surrey and if you gave it some thought, maybe you would figure it out too.  He is a well known businessman.

• Upvote 1