The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Honestly edler and tanev need a step back in ice time they’ve been workhorse for to long and I like adding size next to Hughes. I need see Myers have his best season yet playing with Hughes. Some of tanev’s best days is playing with Edler.  If it was me I’d at least start the season with Myers and Hughes

Only reason I'm skeptical is the negative reports/scouting on Myer's defensive responsibility.

Can't have two dmen pushing the play and getting lost in the ozone. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for looking at it, at the very least it will be refreshing. I'm just not sure it's the right approach to Hughes first season. He really likes to skate the puck deep into the ozone, need a dman who's happy to hang back.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Only reason I'm skeptical is the negative reports/scouting on Myer's defensive responsibility.

Can't have two dmen pushing the play and getting lost in the ozone. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for looking at it, at the very least it will be refreshing. I'm just not sure it's the right approach to Hughes first season. He really likes to skate the puck deep into the ozone, need a dman who's happy to hang back.

I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s unreliable in the D zone he get beat sometimes but who’s doesn’t. I’d much prefer seeing Hughes and Myers getting bulk of Ozone starts. Keep tanev minutes down or wrap him in bubble wrap. I don’t think sheltering Hughes with super 1 dimensional shutdown d man is a good for him. In theory it might work but I’d like to see a more offensive minded blue line at times

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s unreliable in the D zone he get beat sometimes but who’s doesn’t. I’d much prefer seeing Hughes and Myers getting bulk of Ozone starts. Keep tanev minutes down or wrap him in bubble wrap. I don’t think sheltering Hughes with super 1 dimensional shutdown d man is a good for him. In theory it might work but I’d like to see a more offensive minded blue line at times

Oh me too. That's why I said it'd be refreshing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Me too bro

I was being sarcastic..

Don't go giving KOS any ammo. He's gonna start ripping on our schools now.

Well damn... I did miss it. Honestly it's late and I can get a bit defensive over our little island here. Big Island actually.

• Cheers 1

For all the people complaining about Myers’ contract, Seattle will almost for sure go for defensemen who can play hard minutes right away, and Myers will be one of the better ones available so if you really think about it, this could only be a two year contract. 

Edited by Pears
correction

6 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Born and raised Island, it's the most beautiful place in the world and if you disagree then you must be doing it wrong

The island is incredible.  Born and raised there too.  Dont miss the ferries or the cost of living.  

Miss the mountains and parks.  

I live by a great bay in Nova Scotia, sandy beaches and warm water.  I gotta say one day I will spend my summers and falls in Nova Scotia and my winters and springs in BC.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

WHAT??!!  

I thought you said you lived in Surrey!!??  :ph34r:

Excited to see Myers shore up our D next season!!  :towel:

Ad hominem arguments. Criticize the content of the man’s arguments, not the person or where he lives.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The island is incredible.  Born and raised there too.  Dont miss the ferries or the cost of living.  

I live by a great bay in Nova Scotia, sandy beaches and warm water.  I gotta say one day I will spend my summers and falls in Nova Scotia and my winters and springs in BC.  

We did that for years.  Had a house on the South Shore (between Crescent and Rissor’s beaches).  Summers in NS were great, but Fall in NS was fabulous!  Great ice cream in a little village - Petite Rivière.  

9 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

The contract is by the way:  buy out proof.

no idea why JB keeps giving away buyout proof contracts.....  sure would be nice to buy out eriksson  now wouldn’t it?

meyers gets 16m up front.   So a buyout doesn’t give them any real cap relief.  And...  there is a chance this is a contract the next management team might want to buy out.  Or maybe JB....  hope he makes it but his contracts mean the team can’t make it to that next level...  so far....

I don't think it's quite as easy as you're making things out to be.

When signing free agents, there are usually other teams vying for that player's services. It's not like we can just sign whoever and have total control over it. Those signing bonuses that you are complaining that make buyouts next to impossible for example: those are usually how teams will entice players to come join their team. That's why most contracts in the league have signing bonuses and some have a ton of them up front, especially free agent signings.

If the team was in total control of how we perform these signings, I would agree with you, but if we want to even be able to compete to get these free agents, what you are implying would likely get up zero free agents, at least none of the better ones. It sucks, but it's reality.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pears said:

For all the people complaining about Myers’ contract, Seattle will almost for sure go for defensemen who can play hard minutes right away, and Myers will be one of the better ones available so if you really think about it, this could only be a two year contract. 

Certainly gives the team lots of options.

If Tryamkin comes back and Barrie signs here next summer, perhaps we look to expose him and clear $6m.

Options are good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I live in the nicest city in BC.  Because of my user name people try to put down my city. I respond sometimes.

Not a big deal.   

Lets get the thread back on track.

Do you think Tyler Myers will be a  more expensive  Eric  Gudbranson Verson 2  ?

It really isn't. It's not as bad as made out to be...but there are far nicer places in this beautiful province ;) 

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I moved to the island at age 2 and lived there for the next 18 years.... about to ride my motorbike there in an hour...  But not enough work, the housing market has gone crazy....and it's &^@#ing boring.  Yet I still love it! :) 

This damn resort living has ruined me for normal life....

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't think it's quite as easy as you're making things out to be.

When signing free agents, there are usually other teams vying for that player's services. It's not like we can just sign whoever and have total control over it. Those signing bonuses that you are complaining that make buyouts next to impossible for example: those are usually how teams will entice players to come join their team. That's why most contracts in the league have signing bonuses and some have a ton of them up front, especially free agent signings.

If the team was in total control of how we perform these signings, I would agree with you, but if we want to even be able to compete to get these free agents, what you are implying would likely get up zero free agents, at least none of the better ones. It sucks, but it's reality.

Or Benning should’ve listened to Humongus...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pears said:

This, Myers is probably only going to be here for 2 years and Seattle will take him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, Me_ said:

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

PEARSON - HORVAT - VIRTANEN

BÄRTSCHI - SUTTER - ERIKSSON

GAUDETTE - BEAGLE - GRAOVAC

Roussel (IR)

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - TANEV

BENN - STETCHER

Woo/Juolevi

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

Baertschi Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Virtanen Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stetcher

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

but I’d like to see a more offensive minded blue line at times

Well perhaps a different meaning of the word offensive.  No Poo is a step in the right direction.

Remember to...that we want more Demko starts as well.  Not sure it would be the right move to go with a run & gun offense either with a sophomore in net (for some 30- 40 games).

13 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

The contract is by the way:  buy out proof.

no idea why JB keeps giving away buyout proof contracts.....  sure would be nice to buy out eriksson  now wouldn’t it?

meyers gets 16m up front.   So a buyout doesn’t give them any real cap relief.  And...  there is a chance this is a contract the next management team might want to buy out.  Or maybe JB....  hope he makes it but his contracts mean the team can’t make it to that next level...  so far....

Gives us that much more money down the road, for the important contracts...

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Baertschi Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Virtanen Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stetcher

Highly likely the starting lineup for at least the first two game until Bärtschi and Tanev are injured again.

Edited by Me_