The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

7 years at 8 mil per is pricy for Myers. It would not be surprising to see though. 

The thing about July 1 is that its a free for all on those tier 1 and tier 2 players. There are some seriously dumb GM's out there and that will always inflate prices.

Edited by Silver Ghost

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't be against Stralman as a plan B either.  Probably a slight downgrade, but a solid dman.  Either one of them probably makes it possible to keep Tanev, as it takes a lot of responsibility off his plate.  Stralman might also make it possible to sign another depth dman.

This is where I kind of sit. There's no doubt Myers is the better player of those available but would we perhaps be better off signing Stralman + another guy on a short term deal vs Myers at +/- 1.5-2 times the $$$ and 2-3 times the term....

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Would rather have Myers over Gard, but I do not like 7x8. He would be a great player short term for this team but not sure he makes a ton of sense at that price.

Would much rather spent the assets and try to get Risto of possible, then we can shoot for Barrie next year if we still need some help out back.

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

If this is how you want the Canucks to evaluate players they will never sign anyone and will never pull the trigger on a trade.

Yeah, if do nothing is the only alternative to not making a stupid move, then do nothing is the best way to go.

God forbid this management team actually make a shrewd move for once, can't have that now can we lol. Expectations are so low these days that we're evaluating transactions on how not awful they are instead of how good they are.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Yeah, if do nothing is the only alternative to not making a stupid move, then do nothing is the best way to go.

God forbid this management team actually make a shrewd move for once, can't have that now can we lol. Expectations are so low these days that we're evaluating transactions on how not awful they are instead of how good they are.

This is just a brutal argument.

You don't know what offer the Canucks will even make to Myers at this point. So suggesting that signing him at all is automatically a stupid move is just blind hate, not objective analysis. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Silver Ghost said:

This is just a brutal argument.

You don't know what offer the Canucks will even make to Myers at this point. So suggesting that signing him at all is automatically a stupid move is just blind hate, not objective analysis. 

We're talking about the numbers that are being tossed around in the media. My argument stands if we give him anything close to what's rumored.

If it's a lot less (which we all know it won't be) then I'll reevaluate based on what it actually is.

If Benning can acquire a top pairing right handed, right side dman without including a core piece or a potential core piece, he absolutely needs to look at that. Realistically the cost of those players in trade, especially ones under 30, is typically prohibitively high. 

And in most cases there is a big contract either now or needing to be re-upped soon. 

If JB can shed Eriksson, Tanev, Sutter, etc along with a few of the almost roster guys, then spends that money on a guy like Myers, its a win.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

We're talking about the numbers that are being tossed around in the media. My argument stands if we give him anything close to what's rumored.

If it's a lot less (which we all know it won't be) then I'll reevaluate based on what it actually is.

You just said 4.5 is what he is worth though. So i question your ability to reevaluate any contract given to Myers. 4.5 just doesn't present any semblance of reality.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm.also of the mind that what they need is, primarily, a good defender, not someone to creat offense from the back end.  They've got Hughes, OJ and Woo coming online in the next year or two and all three have offensive upside, so I don't see a need for a Tyson Barrie.  They need a Myers or Stralman to help anchor the defensive side of the dcorp and provide some size and grit back there.

For this coming year

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Stetch

Biega, Breezer, Sautner

Edler Myers

Hughes Try

OJ  Stetch

Breezer, Sautner

Paying Myers the rumored $7-8M a season for 7 years to anchor the defense and provide size and grit is a massive overpayment.

I can think of other d-men who provide more grit and similar size at a much cheaper cap hit, with Brenden Dillon being a prime example.

While Dillon gives up 4 inches of height to Myers, he's nearly the same weight, and is far more physically imposing and aggressive. He's fully capable of standing up for his teammates and being a solid capable stay at home defenseman. He's left handed, so that's the main issue with Myers over him.

And really, if Benning is going after players with size, shouldn't he be looking at players that have demonstrated a solid history of using that size? Myers' reputation in the league isn't based on being a physical force at all. He's tall. That's pretty much it. Any other player at his height, or near it, has, on average, another 20-30 lbs. of weight to back up that size (Chara, Byfuglien, Tryamkin).

Giving a player like Myers the rumored salary and term stated recently, to just be a good defenseman is similar to giving Eriksson the money they did for him to be a good forward. It's looking eerily similar at this point.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Paying Myers the rumored $7-8M a season for 7 years to anchor the defense and provide size and grit is a massive overpayment.

I can think of other d-men who provide more grit and similar size at a much cheaper cap hit, with Brenden Dillon being a prime example.

While Dillon gives up 4 inches of height to Myers, he's nearly the same weight, and is far more physically imposing and aggressive. He's fully capable of standing up for his teammates and being a solid capable stay at home defenseman. He's left handed, so that's the main issue with Myers over him.

And really, if Benning is going after players with size, shouldn't he be looking at players that have demonstrated a solid history of using that size? Myers' reputation in the league isn't based on being a physical force at all. He's tall. That's pretty much it. Any other player in the league at his height, or near it, has, on average, another 20-30 lbs. of weight to back up that size (Chara, Byfuglien, Tryamkin).

Giving a player like Myers the rumored salary and term stated recently, to just be a good defenseman is similar to giving Eriksson the money they did for him to be a good forward. It's looking eerily similar at this point.

Thats why the contract will determine if its a good move or not. The player himself is a good fit for what the Canucks need. 

Just now, Silver Ghost said:

Thats why the contract will determine if its a good move or not. The player himself is a good fit for what the Canucks need. 

The Canucks need some NHL ready defensemen to shore up the defense. They need durable players, who posses either the ability to move the puck and generate offense, or they need sizeable players who are physical and capable of playing a sound stay at home type of game, combined with the strength and willingness to clear the crease at all costs.

Does Tyler Myers excel at any of these to the point where he becomes the team's highest paid player?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And really, if Benning is going after players with size, shouldn't he be looking at players that have demonstrated a solid history of using that size? Myers' reputation in the league isn't based on being a physical force at all. He's tall. That's pretty much it. Any other player at his height, or near it, has, on average, another 20-30 lbs. of weight to back up that size (Chara, Byfuglien, Tryamkin).

He definitely played with some snarl in the playoffs.  That said, I'm not disagreeing about looking at all options, but it has to be someone who can handle big mins and push Tanev down the depth chart......I only see a cpl guys who can do that on the right side.

9 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

You just said 4.5 is what he is worth though. So i question your ability to reevaluate any contract given to Myers. 4.5 just doesn't present any semblance of reality.

Well if he's given something close to what he's worth, I will reevaluate and say it's a fair contract.

We all know that's not what's going to happen, and that's why I'm against this signing.

Why do something when you know it's bad before you even do it lol.

There are currently only 7 D-men in the entire NHL making 8M+. They are all legit #1 D-men (assuming Subban regains his form).

There are only 6 more making 7M+

There are only 25 total in the entire league making 6M+ and a lot of these guys are on the back-half of their contract/career (Seabrook, Suter, Weber, Boychuk).

Myers shouldn't be anywhere close to these numbers. I don't care that it's 2019 and it's UFA and our defence sucks. None of these "reasons" justify an absolute albatross of a contract from day 1.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Well if he's given something close to what he's worth, I will reevaluate and say it's a fair contract.

We all know that's not what's going to happen, and that's why I'm against this signing.

Why do something when you know it's bad before you even do it lol.

There are currently only 7 D-men in the entire NHL making 8M+. They are all legit #1 D-men (assuming Subban regains his form).

There are only 6 more making 7M+

There are only 25 total in the entire league making 6M+ and a lot of these guys are on the back-half of their contract/career (Seabrook, Suter, Weber, Boychuk).

Myers shouldn't be anywhere close to these numbers.

Contract amounts rise over time though. The market rate for a player is a moving target, and that is by design by the NHLPA and agents. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

He definitely played with some snarl in the playoffs.

I didn't watch Winnipeg in the playoffs. Was his style of play effective? Were the players he was being physical with deterred by him? I know that when Byfuglien, Weber, Chara, and the like start getting aggressive, most players step back. Myers doesn't really strike me as imposing as any of them.

Just now, stawns said:

That said, I'm not disagreeing about looking at all options, but it has to be someone who can handle big mins and push Tanev down the depth chart......I only see a cpl guys who can do that on the right side.

Isn't Tanev on the block? I like the idea of Benning finding a player that can take some minutes off of Tanev, but Myers has struggled with injuries as well.

Who else do you see, outside of Myers?