The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks need some NHL ready defensemen to shore up the defense. They need durable players, who posses either the ability to move the puck and generate offense, or they need sizeable players who are physical and capable of playing a sound stay at home type of game, combined with the strength and willingness to clear the crease at all costs.

Does Tyler Myers excel at any of these to the point where he becomes the team's highest paid player?

Does he do those things well enough to be paid a fair contract on a team that needs those attributes? Are there other clearly better options available either by trade or through free agency? If so, what is the cost to acquire or sign them?

Expecting a perfect solution instead of fairly evaluating players who improve the team at a reasonable cost while minimizing the risk of their weaknesses is why some teams struggle surrounding their core effectively.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I didn't watch Winnipeg in the playoffs. Was his style of play effective? Were the players he was being physical with deterred by him? I know that when Byfuglien, Weber, Chara, and the like start getting aggressive, most players step back. Myers doesn't really strike me as imposing as any of them.

Isn't Tanev on the block? I like the idea of Benning finding a player that can take some minutes off of Tanev, but Myers has struggled with injuries as well.

Who else do you see, outside of Myers?

Myers is definitely a guy who loves the offensive zone and struggles in his own zone. He’s big but very rarely aggressive and doesn’t like to get his hands dirty but yes in a playoff series sure he’ll be physical but no one is scared of him like they are Buff or guys like Kronwall

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

Myers is definitely a guy who loves the offensive zone and struggles in his own zone. He’s big but very rarely aggressive and doesn’t like to get his hands dirty but yes in a playoff series sure he’ll be physical but no one is scared of him like they are Buff or guys like Kronwall

So what exactly do we need Myers to be? I think if he can re-establish his offensive game in Vancouver that is far more important than being scary.

Look at how trying to make Tryamkin into a player he is not worked out. A good coach maximizes the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses of a player within his lineup. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks need some NHL ready defensemen to shore up the defense. They need durable players, who posses either the ability to move the puck and generate offense, or they need sizeable players who are physical and capable of playing a sound stay at home type of game, combined with the strength and willingness to clear the crease at all costs.

Does Tyler Myers excel at any of these to the point where he becomes the team's highest paid player?

That's a bit of a misnomer on a team full of kids in RFA contracts.  I'd say he's better than Edler, certainly younger.  

Again, I'm not saying Myers at any cost, but they don't have many options other than UFA to fix the d at this point

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Answering a question with questions...….hmmmmm……….

5 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Does he do those things well enough to be paid a fair contract on a team that needs those attributes?

Not really. Define fair. When talking about NHL FA contracts in 2019, fair might not be a great term. :lol:

Are there other clearly better options available either by trade or through free agency?

What do you think? Are there?

If so, what is the cost to acquire or sign them?

That depends on each player, the team they play for, and where that team's cap restrictions are at.

Expecting a perfect solution instead of fairly evaluating players who improve the team at a reasonable cost while minimizing the risk of their weaknesses is why some teams struggle surrounding their core effectively.

Paying Myers $7M at 7 years isn't surrounding the core. It's adding to it. No one is expecting a perfect solution, just one that doesn't hamstring this team in a few years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Myers is definitely a guy who loves the offensive zone and struggles in his own zone.

That I've noticed.

8 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

He’s big but very rarely aggressive and doesn’t like to get his hands dirty but yes in a playoff series sure he’ll be physical but no one is scared of him like they are Buff or guys like Kronwall

That I've also noticed.

• Like 1

Myers for 5 x 6 million, sure.

Myers for 7 x 7 million, absolutely not. 

He's not good enough for 7 million a year, and he's too old for a 7 year term. But that's the contract he's going to get from somebody and it'll turn into another garbage deal like so many before. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Answering a question with questions...….hmmmmm……….

Not really. Define fair. When talking about NHL FA contracts in 2019, fair might not be a great term. :lol:

What do you think? Are there?

That depends on each player, the team they play for, and where that team's cap restrictions are at.

Paying Myers $7M at 7 years isn't surrounding the core. It's adding to it. No one is expecting a perfect solution, just one that doesn't hamstring this team in a few years.

6.5 to 7 mil is unfortunately the going rate for the most sought after position in hockey. Thats just the economic reality even if we dont like it.

The cost of guys like Ristoleinen or Barrie is likely prohibitively high to acquire via trade. No one in the UFA pool really stands out as being a better option at what will be a reasionable contract. Also unfortunate but true. 

The only way to get a comparable player would be to trade assets for what is either a bad contract or a soon to be expiring one where the cost will be astronomical by comparison. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a bit of a misnomer on a team full of kids in RFA contracts.  I'd say he's better than Edler, certainly younger. 

I still feel that Edler is an all around better defenseman.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I'm not saying Myers at any cost, but they don't have many options other than UFA to fix the d at this point

I know. I just don't think Myers is the answer at all. Once again, if they sign him, I hope I'm wrong.

Just now, Duodenum said:

Myers for 5 x 6 million, sure.

Myers for 7 x 7 million, absolutely not. 

He's not good enough for 7 million a year, and he's too old for a 7 year term. But that's the contract he's going to get from somebody and it'll turn into another garbage deal like so many before. 

Exactly. 5X6 is worth it, with limited clauses, not an NMC at all.

When I think of defensemen who make $7 a year, they're all a tier above Myers capability. The only thing they lack is his altitude, aside from Chara.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. 5X6 is worth it, with limited clauses, not an NMC at all.

When I think of defensemen who make $7 a year, they're all a tier above Myers capability. The only thing they lack is his altitude, aside from Chara.

Take Vlasic's contract, 8 x 7 million when he was 30 years old and he's already regressed from his elite shutdown days. Sharks are stuck for a while now. 

Seabrook's contract at 30 years old, 8 x 6.875 million, barely an NHLer at this point. Chicago can't find a suitor to get rid of him. 

Myers is 29, screw that noise. If he regresses, the Canucks may just have wasted the Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat prime years because of cap issues. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

6.5 to 7 mil is unfortunately the going rate for the most sought after position in hockey. Thats just the economic reality even if we dont like it.

Well, then Benning should stay away from signing Myers, to avoid becoming another statistic in overpaying a middling player.

The cost of guys like Ristoleinen or Barrie is likely prohibitively high to acquire via trade. No one in the UFA pool really stands out as being a better option at what will be a reasionable contract. Also unfortunate but true. 

And both are equally questionable in their own end, much like Myers. Benning should stay away from these types of players. He needs to insulate the defense and sign d-men to support the kids. Signing Edler was great, as he's a proven veteran who is a workhorse.

Will Myers (if signed) really bring down the GAA that was one of the biggest issues with the defense last season? Will he provide enough of an uptick in points from the blueline? I'm thinking no one in FA is a very good option at all.

The only way to get a comparable player would be to trade assets for what is either a bad contract or a soon to be expiring one where the cost will be astronomical by comparison. 

And the cost of an inflated contract that might eventually be untradeable is better?

I think the canucks should keep looking into the trade market for a D-man up until July 1st they can negotiate with Myers as a backup plan but

id rather trade a 2nd plus JV or something along these lines rather than paying an extra 3 million for 6 or 7 years.  

It cost The leafs a first to shead 6 million over 1 year. 

Edited by brian42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

I think the canucks should keep looking into the trade market for a D-man up until July 1st they can negotiate with Myers as a backup plan but

id rather trade a 2nd plus JV or something along this lines rather than paying an extra 3 million for 6 years.  

It cost The leafs a first to shead 6 million over 1 year. 

With what chips?  They don't have the assets to trade for a top 4 rhd now

Just now, stawns said:

With what chips?  They don't have the assets to trade for a top 4 rhd now

Won’t be easy but definitely explore it, depends how bad a team needs to shed money.  JV and 2nd for Colin Miller? Something along those lines suban was cheap but he cost a lot more than miller in $$.