Sign in to follow this  
Rush17

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

I’d offer to overpay him for a 2 year term , at 6’8” he could hold a spot until Tryamkin returns. 

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I am a touch concerned with his speed. Barrie as you say would be a far better fit imo. Perhaps we go after Barrie next summer after adding Myers now?

If Eriksson doesn't report and we buy him out maybe we would have the cap space lol. Myers only would cost like a 1M more on the cap likely then Eriksson currently does.

If LE doesn’t report and we terminate his contract, he won’t get to play until that contract expires.  

We will not buy him out either. Doesn’t benefit us at all. 

LE will report and continue his uninspired play until his contract is up, unless they find some sucker to take him in trade. 

• Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, mpt said:

Gaborik did, so it must be true

Beat me to it

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm pretty terrified of the contract we may end up handing him. 6-7 mill for 5 or 6 years. by year 3 or 4 that contract could be a huge albatross. I'd me much more comfortable making a trade for someone like a Colin Miller and absorbing Clarkson's cap hit for the last remaining year.

As long as there’s no trade clauses and it’s front loaded, could be traded with a couple left

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I’d offer to overpay him for a 2 year term , at 6’8” he could hold a spot until Tryamkin returns. 

My concern is his speed on the ice. He's big which is nice but with Tryamkin coming back do we need 2 guys that are 6'8"?  I'd rather a Tyson Barrie via trade.

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That would be "okay" if we get him nearer the bottom of that scale, but it'll come down to how much competition there is out there for him.  With the cap coming in low and many teams needing to shed salary, hopefully there aren't a lot of suitors nor those eager to overpay. 

And remember, at 6-7 years he will be 36-37 before the contract expires.  Yes, we could well be looking at 2+ years of a dog contract.

No more risk than Edler.

Just now, Rush17 said:

My concern is his speed on the ice. He's big which is nice but with Tryamkin coming back do we need 2 guys that are 6'8"?  I'd rather a Tyson Barrie via trade.

No guarantees Tryamkin is coming back.  Supposedly he didn’t really like the NHL, didn’t understand why when you through a clean hit, you have to fight.  I somewhat agree

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

He won’t sign for 2 years, he’ll go somewhere else.  Good chance he does anyway unless we overpay.

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

No guarantees Tryamkin is coming back.  Supposedly he didn’t really like the NHL, didn’t understand why when you through a clean hit, you have to fight.  I somewhat agree

That can't be the reason..he's still young and probably not used to being away from close to home that long..just a suggestion. Let him grow some, he'll come around.

1 hour ago, mll said:

LeBrun in the Athletic:  "On Myers, I think the market will dictate he’s worth around $6.5-million to $7-million a season on a six- to seven-year deal."

That actually seems about right for a UFA.  He is a top 4 D on most teams.

if we get 6x$6.5 I wouldn’t be too upset.

• Upvote 1

I would much rather get Justin Faulk and he still has a year left.  Apparently he's available but what would it take.  

9 minutes ago, mpt said:

Yip. He's right and in today's NHL you don't have to fight. I have a feeling Willie D screwed it up with his videos of Pronger and trying to make Tryamkin something he isnt. He doesnt need to fight or play dirty to be effective. Like Parayko, play tough and lay the body here and there. Do that for a season or two and see the room you'll get on the ice Tryamkin. Hope he's back next year!

• Upvote 4

Not saying I am for or against Myers necessarily...I just love how people want us to get back in the playoffs without trading anything away to get better. Why trade an asset when you can sign it for free but then we are all mad about over paying in FA.

Also almost everyone we want to wait and get for free ends up being resigned.

*I know this isn't everyone but a good chunk of comments fall into this lately 

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

How is two guys that are 6’8” a problem exactly.  They move pretty well for their size.  Add in Woo on that side and we have made up for a little lack of size up front.  Tryamkin can play either side as well which is really useful.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Woo

Stecher

That isn’t bad at the start of the 2020 season.  Maybe be forward thinking and rotate seven NHL calibre guys through (when healthy) to keep them rested and prevent injuries.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

With Hughes, OJ and Woo providing offense coming up, I don't think they need Barrie.  They need a big defender who can handle tough defensive mins.

Good point. Myers is more a shut down guy than a offensive guy. Really, a good replacement for Tanev. 

11 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

That can't be the reason..he's still young and probably not used to being away from close to home that long..just a suggestion. Let him grow some, he'll come around.

I hope so, sounds logical

I worry about a situation popping up where a legit top pairing Dman becomes available in a trade, and we're in a position to make that deal, but we're capped out because of this contract.