The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that's why JB was interviewing that guy (bigger tougher bottom pair guy) yesterday?  JB likely has a lot of balls in the air, and one move depends on another kind of thing.  

He does and maybe got confused on Saturday and thought a first was coming our way from Tampa and not the other way around. Lol. Kidding. Large price but cant wait to see Miller in a Nucks jersey on EP's line. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Thankfully.  Bullets dodged.

Unfortunately Eriksson signed his contract before the menu even came. Then proceeded to order chicken fingers off the kids menu. 

7ozb853kse001.jpg

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Better than any D on our roster besides Edler.

The more depth we have on the right side, the more likely it is Tanev actually survives an entire season. Maybe we can even add another 1st round pick at the trade deadline this time around.

Myers will get vastly overpaid for his value I fear and I hope we aren’t the suckers doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately Erikosson signed his contract before the menu even came. Then proceeded to order chicken fingers off the kids menu.

Haha yeah now he's waiting for dessert and won't leave until he gets it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

Myers will get vastly overpaid for his value I fear and I hope we aren’t the suckers doing it. 

I agree but apparently the rumors are the cap is expected to go up considerably after the next 2 years and contracts will likely get even larger.  So some short term pain may not end up being that bad.  It's a gamble for sure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2019/01/15/hockeys-big-pay-day-is-coming/#51185f984e44

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I agree but apparently the rumors are the cap is expected to go up considerably after the next 2 years and contracts will likely get even larger.  So some short term pain may not end up being that bad.  It's a gamble for sure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2019/01/15/hockeys-big-pay-day-is-coming/#51185f984e44

Short term pain? Myers is only going to get worse. This contract could easily be a team killer

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

yeah free agents run over here when they know they can cash in 

I have a feeling Myers actually wants to play here though.

Hopefully he takes a little less to be where he wants to be. I'm okay with a NMC too if it means he's signs for around 6.5.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Short term pain? Myers is only going to get worse. This contract could easily be a team killer

Not if the Cap goes up by $10MM -$15MM plus.  Some reports have estimated possibly $100MM within 3 or 4 years.  Time will tell.  It's a gamble for sure.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

yeah free agents run over here when they know they can cash in 

lets hope its reasonable.... but looking at our right side depth chart is :sick: at the moment  so its probably going to cost. 

I also just don't see a trade market that doesn't involve a young core piece. So I'd rather overpay by 1.5 mil or so vs. losing a Boeser. We're not going to get a 1D with Jake + scraps. 

• Upvote 3

I feel like we’ve been down this road before with other players... “seen in Van”, “seen having dinner with canucks brass”... “bought a house in north van”.. I’ll believe it when I see it. Till then, I’ll eat my Nibs and watch :p

Edited by dontaylorforprez

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets hope its reasonable.... but looking at our right side depth chart is :sick: at the moment  so its probably going to cost. 

I also just don't see a trade market that doesn't involve a young core piece. So I'd rather overpay by 1.5 mil or so vs. losing a Boeser. We're not going to get a 1D with Jake + scraps. 

That's the problem. Any pieces this team is willing to part with don't have much value to other teams. Rumor has it that Benning was frustrated that other teams don't value his players. And why would they? Most of them are fringe players at this point.

Unless we wanna pay way too much for someone like Ristolainen, or empty our prospect pool for Barrie, a trade for a top defenseman is pretty unlikely.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

That's the problem. Any pieces this team is willing to part with don't have much value to other teams. Rumor has it that Benning was frustrated that other teams don't value his players. And why would they? Most of them are fringe players at this point.

Unless we wanna pay way too much for someone like Ristolainen, or empty our prospect pool for Barrie, a trade for a top defenseman is pretty unlikely.

We can probably swing a 2nd pair-#4 guy with only moderate discomfort. But a top pair guy's probably not in the cards via trade. 

I mean there's an OFF chance you could swing the likes of Ristolainen for something like Marky + Virtanen + prospect and sign a UFA to somewhat replace Marky but even then BUF might not budge/someone else likely outbids us. And it would have to assume they've struck out in the goalie FA market as well.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

yup.  Myers is worth 5.5. So we pay 7.... is that really the worst thing ever? not really compared to other things we've seen this week. 

Hutton is due 4.3 in arbitration for gods sake. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have a feeling Myers actually wants to play here though.

Hopefully he takes a little less to be where he wants to be. I'm okay with a NMC too if it means he's signs for around 6.5.

I do too.........he's a BC resident in the summer, played for the Rockets and he can probably see what they are trying to do here in Van.  It's not unreasonable to think that he wants to be here and might take slightly less to do so, if he believes in what JB is building here.  

That said, I feel like he ends up in the Peg when the smoke clears.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup.  Myers is worth 5.5. So we pay 7.... is that really the worst thing ever? not really compared to other things we've seen this week. 

Hutton is due 4.3 in arbitration for gods sake. 

And hopefully we don't qualify Hutton, let him walk, or sign for a much more reasonable number.

Edited by aliboy