The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 minute ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Keep dreaming.   Market value isn't even 5.75 for him.  Elite defenseman or forwards are going for 9.5-11 per.  Next tier between 8-9 per.  Then next tier is 6-8.5.  That's where Myers is at.  

...yup, then go hard to bring the big guy back (Tryamkin)...got a feeling that OJ and may be one of the college players will take Hutton, Pouliot's spots...see where Tanev is this year (health wise) and upgrade with shorter term "tough as nails" veteran....need to stay away from these boat anchor contracts...Tryamkin would be a good additon.

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

What context lol?

Every sort of stat points to Myers being an average defenseman. Several writers on twitter have shown this statistically in their own way.

Eye-test? If you're not going to take my word for it, fine, but go and read the mixed (at best) reviews from Winnipeg and Buffalo fans.

There's absolutely nothing out there that you can provide that suggests that Myers is worth anything close to the contract that's rumored other than, again, "If Benning does it, it must be good."

I understand the merits of having a "positive outlook" but like I've said here many times in the past, there's positivity and then there's delusion.

Hoping Myers becomes/is the D-man we all hope/need him to be won't magically make it so. It didn't make it so with Gudbranson and it's not going to work here.

" There's absolutely nothing out there that you can provide that suggests that Myers is worth anything close to the contract that's rumored "

This, yes an upgrade on parts of our defense but a real shame if signed for a caphit with term higher than Edler. Sure someone will pay but hope Vancouver doesn't go that route.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

OJ will be a big minute dman who can play PP minutes, severely underrated and if you listen to 650 he's maybe going to crack the top 6? Guy is top four material.

Ya. He is like a hidden key to this whole thing. He's been away so long he's almost forgotten. If he can break through it will be huge for the organization.

• Upvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 4:11 PM, DeNiro said:

How does Myers not upgrade our defense?

Our defense was horrible last year. We're forcing guys like Stecher and Pouliot into the top 4 when they're not top 4 defensemen.

Myers would be a top 4 on most teams. He brings something this team desperately needs which is size on the back end and the ability to move the puck.

If we go into next season with relatively the same D, I expect another top 10 pick, meaning our 2021 pick is going straight to Tampa.

Myers at 6m + per season is not where the team needs to go.

Upgrade sure, but will be a regret if signed over 6m per on a term longer than 4 years.

The fact thete is nobody in UFA means he can name his price, would be smart to proceed cautiously and not get July-1st-silly about it.

The team cannot go into next season with the same defense I get that, I also think the Canucks regardless have one more year of top 10-ish pick before getting into the Playoffs anyways.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Myers at 6m + per season is not where the team needs to go.

Upgrade sure, but will be a regret if signed over 6m per on a term longer than 4 years.

The fact thete is nobody in UFA means he can name his price, would be smart to proceed cautiously and not get July-1st-silly about it.

The team cannot go into next season with the same defense I get that, I also think the Canucks regardless have one more year of top 10-ish pick before getting into the Playoffs anyways.

Benning and the owners are expediting the rebuild. Otherwise you don't give up a 1st rounder. Not that I'm in a agreement but now that we're in that spot, Myers makes sense. Well short term it does, long term it will bite lol

• Upvote 1

If you wait to build a team entirely through the draft you will be waiting a long long time. Your also running the risk of your core players aging out by the time the rest of the core is ready. We had 30 mil to spend and it would have been an absolute shame not to spend that money to improve. 

Edited by CanuckinEdm
  • Upvote 3

Here's the way I see it....

Is Myers the ideal defender for us? Probably not and anyone looking for "perfect defender" (because they live in some fantasy world) would complain until they are blue in the face if we sign him.

Does Myers provide something we don't have? Yes. He does have a physical game that we do need. It's not the greatest game, but it's still an improvement over what we have. I still think he's a long toothpick on the ice but that's a story for another day.

Would signing Myers be better than not signing anyone at all? Probably, provided we don't overpay.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

...yup, then go hard to bring the big guy back (Tryamkin)...got a feeling that OJ and may be one of the college players will take Hutton, Pouliot's spots...see where Tanev is this year (health wise) and upgrade with shorter term "tough as nails" veteran....need to stay away from these boat anchor contracts...Tryamkin would be a good additon.

that's the thing:

Tryamkin has to reach an mutual agreement with management of his team to terminate his contract. Sure that Canucks would love to bring him back according to Jim. BUT i really doubt if management of Avtomobilist is willing to part with Tryamkin AND Tryamkin has made it clear that he honours his 3 year contract with Avtomobilist. So, what's the chance that Tryamkin will be back this offseason? the Chance is slim, very slim, that's at least my conclusion that I draw from Tryamkin's contract situation.

Sadly this is what happens when you don't draft your own D prospects and don't have enough assets to trade for them.  You always overpay in FA trying to outbid other teams in both dollars and term.  Whatever they do, they better not put us in a position where it exposes one of our young players to an offer sheet when the time comes.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jam126 said:

I'd rather have Gardiner than Myers. From what I've read from Jets fans, he isn't worth it, Gardiner at least provides offense.

4 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Man, the Canucks need to make a push for Gardiner, not Myers... Please, he's just so much better for 1M more. Better Corsi, Fenwick, Assists, Goals, Power play points, etc... H

Agree wholeheartedly.

Gardiner is far superior offensively.

I’d even argue he’s sneakily better defensively, despite him having some atrocious eye test moments during some individual games over the past few years.

Certainly his microstats profile looks better, especially when it comes to entry defense:

4FBE2E5B-413A-4684-9BE7-4CA8A77B9C57.thumb.png.afdb21f715d74439b302d264aff37b49.png

Gardiner blows Myers out of the water on GAR (goals above replacement), with Gardiner sporting a sparkling +12.9 GAR (close to Erik Karlsson levels) and Myers actually showing negative impact at -3.5 GAR.

*stats per Evolving Hockey, 2018-19 season

Here are some more head-to-head visualizations:

81CAB5BB-D853-4888-97FD-1E273421A352.jpeg.3d3c36fc1ec3972682275174437b81f8.jpeg

821DC394-591B-4157-92AD-36EA707988EA.jpeg

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Gardiner is far superior offensively.

I’d even argue he’s sneakily better defensively, despite him having some atrocious eye test moments during some individual games over the past few years.

Certainly his microstats profile looks better, when it comes to entry defense:

4FBE2E5B-413A-4684-9BE7-4CA8A77B9C57.thumb.png.afdb21f715d74439b302d264aff37b49.png

Gardiner blows Myers out of the water on GAR (goals above replacement), with Gardiner sporting a sparkling +12.9 GAR (close to Erik Karlsson levels) and Myers actually showing negative impact at -3.5 GAR.

*stats per Evolving Hockey, 2018-19 season

Here are some more head-to-head visualizations:

81CAB5BB-D853-4888-97FD-1E273421A352.jpeg.3d3c36fc1ec3972682275174437b81f8.jpeg

821DC394-591B-4157-92AD-36EA707988EA.jpeg

I think Gardiner is the better of the two. I like the general direction he moves our D in better as more of a PMD. 

What we need though is a number one D and we are fishing heavily for second pairing guys. 

I have a feeling we are going to see matching $50 M deals here which will be disastrous for us in the long run. 

7 hours ago, Jam126 said:

I'd rather have Gardiner than Myers. From what I've read from Jets fans, he isn't worth it, Gardiner at least provides offense.

The player has to also wanna sign here. Maybe Gardiner doesn’t.

• Cheers 1

I agree with Jim that in terms of rebuild you can not just keep sucking and drafting and accumulating assets. Winnipeg, Colorado, Florida, Edmonton, Buffalo have not won a thing. You also do not want to waste the prime of Horvat's career the way Buffalo did to Ryan O'Reilly. 

However, Jim needs to be patient. He has time to wait and see. Do not overpay in trades or free agent signings. Patience pays off. 

This is where the whole “we shouldn’t sign Myers” argument gets a life of its own and people will crap on him his whole tenure with the Canucks just to validate their own opinions.  

Anyways, even if he does sign for too much / too long, part of a GM’s job these days is working through and around those contacts.  Nobody is unmovable. 

I’d still like to see him sign with us.  Big, decent shot RHD would look great with Hughes.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 2