The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

Just now, Gnarcore said:

Yes there are other options but I needed a rosier outlook on this potential signing. There is enough cry babies on here already ;) 

I just don’t see how signing Myers will really bolster the defense. 

Certainly he’ll take on some heavy minutes and help spread out the TOI amongst d-men, which has been an issue that’s plagued this team for years. 

I struggle to see though how he’ll help the two most glaring inconsistencies with the defense being scoring and physicality. Maybe, if signed, he’ll relish taking on a greater role and become more than he is now. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly he’ll take on some heavy minutes and help spread out the TOI amongst d-men, which has been an issue that’s plagued this team for years. 

I struggle to see though how he’ll help the two most glaring inconsistencies with the defense being scoring and physicality. Maybe, if signed, he’ll relish taking on a greater role and become more than he is now. 

I think were going to be hoping Hughes used in the proper way will help in that regard. Plus I expect them to sign a bottom pairing physical guy too. There will have to be some trades too.  This isn't just about next year but about 2 to 4 years when I expect Woo will be running people over like a freight train ;) 

Myers is not ideal...but there are worse options out there. 

Either we over pay in free agency or via trading for a top 4 D man. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

A long term deal over 6m a year for Myers just makes no sense. Concerning.

It does when you look at our defence pool.

When Benning lists Teves, Rafferty, and Brisebois as our young replacements we’re in trouble.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When Benning lists Teves, Rafferty, and Brisebois as our young replacements we’re in trouble.

IMO, Breezer is a legit NHL dman, or will be with some experience.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely could be another Tanev like player. Problem is we need legit top 4 guys now.

agreed, breezer is still a few years, at least, from pushing for that.......if he does at all.

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

i think they're thinking they want dmen who can make a first pass to the fwds and let the fwds carry the vast bulk of the offense.  IMO, they need to prevent goals more than they need to score them.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

There are reports about an $8 million dollar deal for Myers... I REALLY hope they aren’t true.

JB will have destroyed any goodwill be gained with the Edler deal.

I would rather Zaitsev even without a sweetener to an albatross like that.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are reports about an $8 million dollar deal for Myers... I REALLY hope they aren’t true.

"legitimate" reports or just the speculation that has been occurring throughout this whole thread? I say legitimate in quotes because even the guys that are semi-connected are often full of sh*t. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

"legitimate" reports or just the speculation that has been occurring throughout this whole thread? I say legitimate in quotes because even the guys that are semi-connected are often full of sh*t. 

Reports from hockey reporters.  That is about as legitimate as you can get until it is officially announced. 

They aren’t saying the Canucks are the team outing that offer out, just that it is out there.  For all we know it is his agent trying to drum up the price.

What I am saying is that we need to run the other way if that is the price.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Reports from hockey reporters.  That is about as legitimate as you can get until it is officially announced. 

They aren’t saying the Canucks are the team outing that offer out, just that it is out there.  For all we know it is his agent trying to drum up the price.

What I am saying is that we need to run the other way if that is the price.

Completely agree.

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

If it's from another team I hope it's true!  lol

Please Gord, I hope it's Toronto or Winnipeg. Myers is not a top pairing defenseman in any shape or form. Any GM offering and paying him $8M a season, for more than a season or two, should be canned on the spot.

Hell, even giving him $7M x 7 years is a horrible idea.

Please Jim, do not get free agency fever again. It might cost you your job.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

I'd pay Myers $8M on a 2-year term. He's totally not worth that, but will at least plug the hole.

The concern I have with him is term. He had major surgery, that is not likely to age well.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe for just next year, but Jett woo? Juolevi? Rathbone? I would say our defensive prospects need some work, but one good draft could fix that. Next year is supposed to have a bundle of D in it. 

Getting a Risto or Myers (only if it's decent contract) would at least push the needle forward on a better defensive core. 

Edited by KKnight

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I'd pay Myers $8M on a 2-year term. He's totally not worth that, but will at least plug the hole.

If only.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

The concern I have with him is term. He had major surgery, that is not likely to age well.

Exactly. He's 29 and has had major surgery. Giving this guy a 7 year contract will be a bad idea.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I didn't post a hero chart. However I did post several different charts that all measure/show different things but still come to the same result: Myers is an average player.

Myers is top 4 d man, above average. I would consider Hutton a average 5-6 D man