The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Might even be able to swing him for 2-3 years. Then we Have Tryamkin returning next spring/the following fall to replace Tanev and hopefully Woo pushing for a spot in the next couple years to replace Stralman. Juolevi splits time with Benn until he's ready to take over. Followed by Rathbone as Edler ages out.

Ya I would certainly want 2 years if possible, but figure as he's 33 before the season starts he will likely know this is his last chance at a meaningful contract and push for 4 years. Which would be fine if it's in the $5M range. 

20 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I didn't watch that series, so can't say anything about that.  However, that's not even the argument since big buff was there soaking up all the minutes and Myers was routinely getting around 4th in ice time among dmen, so if he looked good to you it helped that he was playing sheltered minutes.  I'm fine with Myers being a 4th dman for us.  I'm not fine with paying a 4th dman 7m.

he'd be #1 rhd in Van.  Good thing you're not paying anything then.

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That said, Benning might have talked to Stralman's rep and he could have zero interest in coming here too.

True. The approach is what I find palatable. Calmly managing the overhaul of the blueline without making silly offers in free agency which is usually a massive gongshow.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

That doesn't mean he's a top-pairing guy. The Canucks' lack of talent on the right side doesn't justify overpaying a 3rd at best but realistically 4th dman $7M+. 

the value is determined by the value of the player to the club making the offer.  In Winnipeg, he might be a #3-4, but in Van, he's a #1-2.  Again, if there's a cheaper option who can fill that same function, I'm all for it, but they have to have someone in the #1 rhd spot going into the season.  tanev cannot be relied upon again as that guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

the value is determined by the value of the player to the club making the offer.  In Winnipeg, he might be a #3-4, but in Van, he's a #1-2.  Again, if there's a cheaper option who can fill that same function, I'm all for it, but they have to have someone in the #1 rhd spot going into the season.  tanev cannot be relied upon again as that guy.

You're absolutely entitled to that position and you're not wrong that Tanev is not a top-pairing guy either, but I think the absolute worst solution to that is to pay another 3-4 guy $7M for 7 years to "fix" things. 

I don't think JB cares about his job, I think he doing it because her thinks its the right thing to do. We don't have a lot of chips for a trade so whats you idea? No way either Gardnier or Myers signs for short term.

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't think JB cares about his job,

I think he might.

I think he doing it because her thinks its the right thing to do.

If so, that's worrisome.

We don't have a lot of chips for a trade so whats you idea? No way either Gardnier or Myers signs for short term.

As others have mentioned sign FAs as a stop gap for the time being. Neither Gardiner nor Myers are anywhere worth $7 X 7. While the Canucks are desperate to bolster the blueline, is this FA period really the ideal time to do so? Desperation rarely breeds sane decisions.

• Like 1

I’m really on the fence about signing Myers.

anyone who says it’s just money not assets may be wrong.....what if in the future we have to trade a first round pick just to get rid of a Few years of Myers, just like the leafs with Marleau.

if it cost them a 1 just for to drop 1 year of 6 million you can really see how valuable the cap space is.

i want the Canucks to improve the team but I’d rather make a trade:

assets we can trade:

JV 

Tanev 

Sutter

Demko 

juolevi- wouldn’t want to 

Lind 

Madden 

future picks -a maybe for sure thing isn’t a bad idea if they are young and have a good contract (good cap hit & locked up) 

i like the the idea of Trading Demko, I think he will be a great player but he should land a good player also Markstrom has arrived and we have several prospects coming up and we can only protect 1 Goalie in the expansion draft Then we can sign a cheap yet capable backup. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think he might.

If so, that's worrisome.

As others have mentioned sign FAs as a stop gap for the time being. Neither Gardiner nor Myers are anywhere worth $7 X 7. While the Canucks are desperate to bolster the blueline, is this FA period really the ideal time to do so? Desperation rarely breeds sane decisions.

Well if you really think he cares about his job then I guess he's doing it for team first approach? JB promised a new and improved defense and he has to do it with what is available to him now not in a year or two. You call it desperation I call it following through on his plan.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Im a fan of the Stralman idea. His name hasnt really been mentioned at all. Wonder if hes a consideration or if were just set on Tyler Myers.

I'm not sure if Benning is set on Myers or not, as he hasn't personally come out and said anything about it. We're getting a lot second hand info through various sources at the present, of which the majority of are mentioning Myers. Perhaps his agent is slipping various media sources some funds in hopes of generating interest?