The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think anyone is saying we're a legit contender this season, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. This was never going to be a situation  where we were the worst team in the league, and then we shot up the standings and became a legit contender the next year. 

We still have a glaring hole on our blueline. A legit top pairing right handed Dman, and it's not a hole Myers is going to fill, but other than that I think we're in pretty damn good shape moving forward. I can see a scenario playing out where our top 6 and top 4 looks looks like this in a few years.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Hughes ______

Woo    Juolevi

Sure, it requires some faith in guys like Hog and Woo, but for the first time I truly believe that the finish line is in sight. 

That being said, I don't want to see us blowing our load on someone like Myers, who's contract will likely come back to bite us in the ass right when we're putting the finishing touches on our core and making a legitimate push for the cup. Even if the young, top pairing right D we need isn't available right now, it's difficult to believe that there aren't any better stopgaps available than Myers on some ludicrous contract. If this goes through, I pray the contract doesn't looks as bad as what's being suggested. 

I agree with you that some pieces are in place, and that lineup you've projected looks somewhat reasonable (although let's remember when we used to pencil in guys like Schroeder, Jensen and Shinkaruk into our projected top 6).

Here's the thing though: if we're going to have that many prospects turn into great or even impact players, we're going to need to pay them like it, and the "cap rising" isn't going to be able to cover their salaries. People also forget that even though the cap goes up, so do average salaries, so the amount of cap space you gain isn't a 1-to-1 ratio to how much the cap goes up in any given year.

In 3 years we might have to pay Hughes 10M, and Pettersson will already be making 12. The last thing we need at that time is a 32 year-old Tyler freaking Myers taking up 6-7M of our cap space, especially with guys like Woo and Juolevi needing raises soon after that (if they make it).

It seems all well and good to add a "top-4 D" in free agency today because it undoubtedly makes us better today, but it's so extremely shortsighted. That cap will be needed to bring in an impact guy when we're ready to make the jump, it shouldn't be spent now in an attempt at marginal improvements.

So again, this reeks of desperation from an owner always looking for shortcuts to the playoffs and a GM looking to save his job and/or do whatever it takes to put a band-aid on a D group that's been in complete shambles during his entire tenure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Must be #fakenews.  Key source "Taj" says Benning doesn't negotiate and takes the first offer on the table, and everyone knows he'll want to throw in a 2nd round pick while he's at it.

Taj?

When I was younger I had a trashy girl and she had that same infection I think??!!

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I agree with you that some pieces are in place, and that lineup you've projected looks somewhat reasonable (although let's remember when we used to pencil in guys like Schroeder, Jensen and Shinkaruk into our projected top 6).

Here's the thing though: if we're going to have that many prospects turn into great or even impact players, we're going to need to pay them like it, and the "cap rising" isn't going to be able to cover their salaries. People also forget that even though the cap goes up, so do average salaries, so the amount of cap space you gain isn't a 1-to-1 ratio to how much the cap goes up in any given year.

In 3 years we might have to pay Hughes 10M, and Pettersson will already be making 12. The last thing we need at that time is a 32 year-old Tyler freaking Myers taking up 6-7M of our cap space, especially with guys like Woo and Juolevi needing raises soon after that (if they make it).

It seems all well and good to add a "top-4 D" in free agency today because it undoubtedly makes us better today, but it's so extremely shortsighted. That cap will be needed to bring in an impact guy when we're ready to make the jump, it shouldn't be spent now in an attempt at marginal improvements.

So again, this reeks of desperation from an owner always looking for shortcuts to the playoffs and a GM looking to save his job and/or do whatever it takes to put a band-aid on a D group that's been in complete shambles during his entire tenure.

I would point out that Podkolzin would still be on an entry level contract, and Hoglander likely would as well. 

I'm of two minds about this whole scenario. I do think it's important that we start making a significant effort towards getting into the playoffs. I understand why Benning wants to, considering his contract, but I do truly believe that making the effort and actually having the effort reap some sort of reward is critical for the growth of our young core. We don't want them groomed into expect failure, and we definitely don't want to piss them off to the point where they feel they'll have a better chance at winning elsewear. 

That said, a long term deal for Myers will likely end up handicapping us right when we'll need cap space the most. I just wish there was a better option available. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

Laugh all you like, the team has improved basically every year from our worst year. I'm not suggesting he added Tavares type players. Those types don't tend to be available to rebuilding teams.

Small, incremental improvements and sheltering players while he built depth.

• Like 1

Seems like the Canucks did this backwards 

should have traded for RHD and signed top 6 F instead of vise versa 

many RHD have been traded & still rumored

many solid UFA top 6 Forwards 

only 1 legit top 4 RHD UFA who now is going to be way overpaid.

Edited by brian42
  • Wat 2

8 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

No way Myers signs for less then 6.5 mil

I heard $7M for 7 years...that's ridiculous ...if he signs him to this, then he hasn't learned from the LE scenario...because it will happen with Myers as well...this would be a brutal contract....I hope JB understands that the rebuild is in its infancy and there will be a lot of young guys (top end players) that will need to be signed for big dollars...Myers is not a top end player. At best he is a marginal 3/4 dman.

Maximum 5 years...and he doesn't get paid more than Edler...JB needs to trust the pipe line of prospects coming up and stay away from long term deals.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

this deal is a big possibility and very well can happen our main off season goal was to shore up our d and just watch Myers gets signed and the Tyler Myers appreciation thread pops up 6 weeks into the season as we rack up a handful of wins all in all in the NHL u gotta pay to play with the bigdogs and be a contender 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well lookie there -- as much as D are always in demand, it's not like there are tonnes of teams out there with capspace eager to blow it on long-term UFA contracts.  NOT surprised, actually.

How about we start at $6milx5...

It's interesting that Friedman elects to say there are no teams  with the "want or will".   And he qualifies it with an  "I just don't know"....

If he'd said there's only one team in position to make this signing and serious, that would be one thing - but he does a little troll thing suggesting that there aren't any other teams that would have the want either - while just not knowing.

I find that borderline absurd - is he honestly tying to suggest that a Leafs team with a cap dump material Zaitsev and nothing else on their right side would not "want" Myers, even if they had the cap flexibility to fill a need of theirs - and in a deflated market with few serious suitors?   Hmmm.  That no other teams would want Myers if they were in a position to pursue him?   Well done if his point is to insult the player.   Poor Canucks fans - they only get the players that no one else wants - and of course, pay way too much for them, right.  Hmmm.  I'm just not sure this is Elliot's finest moment.

Almost makes me hope this deal happens and that Myers crushes it here.  Like I've said, he's not necessarily my first choice, but a large part of my hesitancy is due to the speculated terms - I should know better by now than place any signficance in the noise - and wait until we see what actually happens.

Anyhow - I guess the Canucks can send him a thank you note for undermining Myers' negotiating position - at least publiclly.  The reactionary element can send him a thank you as well, for helping substantiate their fears around a potential signing where Benning has leverage but doesn't use it, of course..  And Myers can send him a fk you for suggesting that no one else wants him.

Of course Myers' agent would know this - if it's in fact true.

Maybe there's an undercurrent here - of bitterness/envy - as his imploding Leafs are in no position to compete for anyone - want or not.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

35 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup.

I agree with Aynsley, of course.

While I think there is a slightly lesser risk of decline with defensemen like this (ie take a look at the number of older veteran defensemen that remain effective in the game,  relative to forwards, who outnumber them 2-1....)

But nevertheless, I wouldn't be shocked if the term were in the 5 year range, maybe 6, at or below Edler type numbers.   That may be unrealistic relative to the frenzies of the past decade that keep getting teams in so much trouble.... but if it turns out that's the case that Benning sets a limit and sticks to it -  the league will owe him a retraction.    When is the last time we saw that happen with a top unrestricted free agent though?  I can't recall.   If it exceeds those terms, it's the norm.  My hunch - mere hunch - is that if the Canucks sign him, it will not be a 50 million deal that is widely speculated but in the 30-36 range.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I heard $7M for 7 years...that's ridiculous ...if he signs him to this, then he hasn't learned from the LE scenario...because it will happen with Myers as well...this would be a brutal contract....I hope JB understands that the rebuild is in its infancy and there will be a lot of young guys (top end players) that will need to be signed for big dollars...Myers is not a top end player. At best he is a marginal 3/4 dman.

Maximum 5 years...and he doesn't get paid more than Edler...JB needs to trust the pipe line of prospects coming up and stay away from long term deals.

I tend to agree with you but JB, when he wants his guy he goes hard. I could live with 7 mil @ 5 years. He's not as good as Edler but younger maybe more durable and times have changed, so has salaries

Edited by Sbriggs

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's interesting that Friedman elects to say there are no teams  with the "want or will".   And he qualifies it with an  "I just don't know"....

Listened to the actual interview, and he didn't say that no others were interested, but more that the Canucks seem to be the ones with the strongest interest.  How that affects negotiations is hard to say, just that he "believes" that it won't be any sort of bidding war as there may be with the likes of Panarin.  In other words, if we are most serious about getting him (and he wants to come here) that it'll likely be us.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

But nevertheless, I wouldn't be shocked if the term were in the 5 year range, maybe 6, at or below Edler type numbers.

Oi, like I said...

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:
How about we start at $6milx5...

By all accounts the Canucks aren't about to go out and start firing at 7x7 just to get someone.  They're looking to limit term, as they did with Edler.  Tanev is off the books this year, Edler the year after, which would leave only Myers as the big money man, but for only perhaps 3-4 years more.  By that time Hughes is up, and perhaps we bring in another prime asset.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the bill come in around $30mil total.  There aren't a tonne of teams out there with big cap to spend, and seemingly not in a rush to overpay 2nd-pairing dmen either.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Listened to the actual interview, and he didn't say that no others were interested, but more that the Canucks seem to be the ones with the strongest interest.

I just don’t know if there’s a team that has the want or will for Myers other than the Canucks right now

are you saying that is a misquote?

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

If he'd said there's only one team in position to make this signing and serious, that would be one thing - but he does a little troll thing suggesting that there aren't any other teams that would have the want either - while just not knowing.

I find that borderline absurd - is he honestly tying to suggest that a Leafs team with a cap dump material Zaitsev and nothing else on their right side would not "want" Myers, even if they had the cap flexibility to fill a need of theirs - and in a deflated market with few serious suitors?   Hmmm.  That no other teams would want Myers if they were in a position to pursue him?   Well done if his point is to insult the player.   Poor Canucks fans - they only get the players that no one else wants - and of course, pay way too much for them, right.  Hmmm.  I'm just not sure this is Elliot's finest moment.

Almost makes me hope this deal happens and that Myers crushes it here.  Like I've said, he's not necessarily my first choice, but a large part of my hesitancy is due to the speculated terms - I should know better by now than place any signficance in the noise - and wait until we see what actually happens.

Anyhow - I guess the Canucks can send him a thank you note for undermining Myers' negotiating position - at least publiclly.  The reactionary element can send him a thank you as well, for helping substantiate their fears around a potential signing where Benning has leverage but doesn't use it, of course..  And Myers can send him a fk you for suggesting that no one else wants him.

Of course Myers' agent would know this - if it's in fact true.

Maybe there's an undercurrent here - of bitterness/envy - as his imploding Leafs are in no position to compete for anyone - want or not.

Somewhat rare to see Friedman engage in this level of wishy washy conjecture. Borderline absurd? I find it completely absurd. 

Myers, like it or not, is one of the top available UFA at the hardest to fill position, Elliot. Seems legit no team at all other than the Canucks are interested.

• Cheers 1