The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

I look at these longer deals this way:

If 50% of the cap hit for the remaining term (if retained in order to trsde down the road) or the potenyisl buyout cap hit will not cripple the team AND the contract is not structured in a way that makes it trade or buyout proof (nmc or ntc, structured to be bonus heavy, etc.) it will be less risk and worth it to try to get better now.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Man, I remember when people were upset we didn't draft him over Hodgson....

...I guess they were right (if you ignore Karlsson at 15). :lol:

I remember 90% of CDC wanting Kyle Beach. :lol:

• Upvote 4

On 6/25/2019 at 7:15 AM, ilduce39 said:

This is where the whole “we shouldn’t sign Myers” argument gets a life of its own and people will crap on him his whole tenure with the Canucks just to validate their own opinions.  

Anyways, even if he does sign for too much / too long, part of a GM’s job these days is working through and around those contacts.  Nobody is unmovable. 

I’d still like to see him sign with us.  Big, decent shot RHD would look great with Hughes.

I don't want the Canucks to sign Myers, at all, but why would I crap on him while he's here? He's still a good NHL defensemen, and I want the Canucks to succeed so of course I'd want him to succeed... He's just not worth 6M per

On 6/23/2019 at 10:43 AM, Rush17 said:

I am a touch concerned with his speed. Barrie as you say would be a far better fit imo. Perhaps we go after Barrie next summer after adding Myers now?

If Eriksson doesn't report and we buy him out maybe we would have the cap space lol. Myers only would cost like a 1M more on the cap likely then Eriksson currently does.

We can buy him out but then half his salary still counts against the cap for double the remaining contract...so in other worlds 3 million for six more years...otherwise it’s cap circumvention. We used up our two freebies a long time ago on Ballard and can’t remember. 

Would rather we trade him or just stick it out...three more years.  

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't want the Canucks to sign Myers, at all, but why would I crap on him while he's here? He's still a good NHL defensemen, and I want the Canucks to succeed so of course I'd want him to succeed... He's just not worth 6M per

And that’s the problem.  Without dismantling part of the core we simply won’t get the help we need on defense without overpaying for a RHD - all UFAs come at premium and rarely live up to their cap hit.  Myers is a decent player even good right now, with some upside given he hasn’t had a lot of top pairing minutes for a long time.   I think he’s the best option available right now, and given the Miller trade probably our best chance at making that first something in the twenties.  Would be a massive upgrade both figuratively and literally, 6’8” the guy has size and a huge wingspan.   We could wait another year and hope to get one of the RHD that might be available...but there could be none that good too, having already re-signed or traded and re-signed.  If he wants to come id he ok with it.

19 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

What he says in this tweet is pretty much common knowledge. This is not a young player with untapped potential or something.

He is what he is, an average player, and yes he's right: we will suffer if he gets anything close to what's rumored lol. We've suffered enough over the past 4 years, make it stop.

I think some people don’t realize what an average NHLer is, because Myers is most definitely not that.  He’s above average on the low side pretty good on the high side.  8 points, 4 goals in 16 two playoffs ago, and gets around 10 goals and 30 points mostly 5 x 5 on the third pairing on a deep team...48 points and Calder winner, then some disastrous injury plagued year etc.   He’s good enough to be a solid second pairing RHD, that’s valuable today, and is above average defensively.  For us he’s a huge upgrade...think of who he’d bounce out of the lineup, Stecher would be our 3rd pairing guy which is where he’d be on most contending teams too.   

Absolutely he’s no first pairing guy, but he is a decent Edler replacement long term too.  Just on the other side.   Or a decent Tanev replacement, a lot more offense, a little worse defense.  

There is a chance this could backfire on us, just like there is for any mid-range UFA signing (LE, Ryan, Okposo, Neal etc) but the short-medium term this deal makes a lot of sense for our team.  We want to get bigger - check, we want to improve our immediate defense -check...and I could see a Hughes/Myers pairing as a great fit.   He can shelter him and allow him to rover while he takes care of positional needs ... and he has one heck of a shot, something our defense has very very very little of at the moment.   

It wouldnt surprise me at all if he got first unit PP time that he could even break 50 points.   And score 15 plus goals.  He’s done it almost before as a rookie, and quite often defenseman have career years in their early thirties.  Coming here would give him a lot of opportunities to shine that’s for sure, as we have nobody else to shoot the puck on the right side...

• Upvote 3

For those who don't want Myers who are the targets you are thinking that would make us better?  Our D is at the mercy of being the worst we have ever had if we don't make any moves.  Adding Myers gives us stability as long as the cost is reasonable.  I would rather spend some assets to get Ristolainen however if we just sign players like Stralman and Benn we aren't going to move the needle and I can almost guarantee that Edler and Tanev will go down with injury again because they will be overplayed.  I think Myers is our best option to alleviate that, and if there are better options, we should be talking about those.  Doing nothing is not an option.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

For those who don't want Myers who are the targets you are thinking that would make us better?  Our D is at the mercy of being the worst we have ever had if we don't make any moves.  Adding Myers gives us stability as long as the cost is reasonable.  I would rather spend some assets to get Ristolainen however if we just sign players like Stralman and Benn we aren't going to move the needle and I can almost guarantee that Edler and Tanev will go down with injury again because they will be overplayed.  I think Myers is our best option to alleviate that, and if there are better options, we should be talking about those.  Doing nothing is not an option.

I think one of the more attainable targets, that would fit Bennings vision and provide some cost certainty, is Colin Miller.  He is a 26 year old RHD who put up 29 and 41 points the past 2 seasons and is locked in at $3.88m for the next 3 years.  Vegas is already well in to the 10% offseason salary cap buffer and will need to move cap with getting little to none back.   

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely he’s no first pairing guy, but he is a decent Edler replacement long term too.  Just on the other side.   Or a decent Tanev replacement, a lot more offense, a little worse defense. 

Yup, which is why he should be paid like one.  Start at 4/5 years $5-6 million.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I think one of the more attainable targets, that would fit Bennings vision and provide some cost certainty, is Colin Miller.  He is a 26 year old RHD who put up 29 and 41 points the past 2 seasons and is locked in at $3.88m for the next 3 years.  Vegas is already well in to the 10% offseason salary cap buffer and will need to move cap with getting little to none back.   

I think that is a very reasonable target as well if Vegas will trade with us.  We need a key piece or pieces on D moving forward that could play in the 20-25 min range.  I'd add him to the options depending on the price.

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The problem being (not that I agree) is that so few quality dmen make it to UFA status, therefore, their price tends to be high once they do.  I'm sure if you did a search for the past few years the contract value and cap hits will be fairly significant.

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Canucks offer Myers 4/5 years at $ 5-6 mill. he would laugh at it (most likely).

On what Myers contract could look like

Sportsnet on 650: Renaud Lavoie on pending UFA Tyler Myers: “I do believe Myers will be a 7 year contract. it could be $8 million per season. $6 million might be a bit low. GM’s are looking at the cap being lower and demand for young players – could be less money spent in FA but there’s a lot of demand for defensemen.”