The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

31 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, which is why he should be paid like one.  Start at 4/5 years $5-6 million.

That’s the type of salary he should get...depends on the market though and how desperate some chump is to get him...a 7 x 7 deal would be a handcuff for sure, much like the last Kronwall deal was for Detroit 

edit: of course it all depends on his play...there is an off-side chance this wouldn’t be too bad, if the cap goes up and he rocks the PP ... which he does have some mojo to do.   Risky, don’t think we would pay him, we can’t afford it now with 3 million less, Boeser still to sign and a pile of qualified players waiting to get paid, plus your namesake Hutton ...

Edited by IBatch

13 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

I look at these longer deals this way:

If 50% of the cap hit for the remaining term (if retained in order to trsde down the road) or the potenyisl buyout cap hit will not cripple the team AND the contract is not structured in a way that makes it trade or buyout proof (nmc or ntc, structured to be bonus heavy, etc.) it will be less risk and worth it to try to get better now.

Pretty sure teams will get to two more get out of jail cards after the next CBA...if an owner has deep enough pockets they could pay him what he wants and later give him his pink slip if he’s not worth it or they simply want to spend the money somewhere else.  Right now as it stands we have nobody that would be worth using this on...food for thought.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Stralman is just as good of a D as Myers, he's just older and has less size. He'd also likely be cheaper and require less term to sign. So I disagree that him and a 'Benn' or similar (or Hutton at something closer to $2-$2.5m) don't move the needle. Especially with also adding Hughes (and eventually Juolevi).

Especially with Hockey Widow reporting that Barrie wants to sign at 'home' in Vancouver next year, I'd actually find this route preferable.

That said, I'm not opposed to Myers on a reasonable contract like 5x6. Not sure that lands him though. Maybe...

Definitely interested in Barrie as a FA as that would really move the needle.  I just feel that Stralman is due for a dropoff with his age, inflated abilities/stats with Tampa Bay and likely won't sign in Van as he will have a contender focus. 

I'd avoid signing Myers this year if it meant going after Barrie next year. Squeeze Vegas for Colin Miller.  If we suck this year, then so be it.  We get another lottery pick in a deep draft.  Sign Barrie next summer and do all you can to make the playoffs for 2021 to avoid giving Tampa a lottery pick.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely interested in Barrie as a FA as that would really move the needle.  I just feel that Stralman is due for a dropoff with his age, inflated abilities/stats with Tampa Bay and likely won't sign in Van as he will have a contender focus. 

Not sure many contenders can afford him.

Not particularly worried about a drop off either on a short term deal. Less so than I'd be be on a potential 7 year Myers deal anyway.

Whether he'd have interest in signing in Vancouver though... Who the hell knows lol

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I'd avoid signing Myers this year if it meant going after Barrie next year. Squeeze Vegas for Colin Miller.  If we suck this year, then so be it.  We get another lottery pick in a deep draft.  Sign Barrie next summer and do all you can to make the playoffs for 2021 to avoid giving Tampa a lottery pick.

That is the worry about getting Myers in a really long term.  Life could look a lot different in a year... Tryamkin, Woo, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

If Canucks offer Myers 4/5 years at $ 5-6 mill. he would laugh at it (most likely).

On what Myers contract could look like

Sportsnet on 650: Renaud Lavoie on pending UFA Tyler Myers: “I do believe Myers will be a 7 year contract. it could be $8 million per season. $6 million might be a bit low. GM’s are looking at the cap being lower and demand for young players – could be less money spent in FA but there’s a lot of demand for defensemen.”

Lavoie is an absolute idiot making up numbers like that. No one would pay that.

Shoddy rumor mongering crap is all that is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lavoie is an absolute idiot making up numbers like that. No one would pay that.

Shoddy rumor mongering crap is all that is.

And there's been numerous tweets that the Canucks aren't offering anywhere near that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Really, really want Myers. In fact I wanted him at number 10 but we took Hodgson and I believe Buffalo took him like 2 or 3 picks after.

A lot of people would take rookie Myers.  Unfortunately, he peaked his rookie year and never lived up to his potential of that season.  He's not that player today.  It would be like saying you want 18 year old sam bennett today, when he's no longer that player now.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, FireGillis said:

A lot of people would take rookie Myers.  Unfortunately, he peaked his rookie year and never lived up to his potential of that season.  He's not that player today.  It would be like saying you want 18 year old sam bennett today, when he's no longer that player now.

I never said he is that player anymore but he is a good top 4 dman with size and good skating ability. Hodgson and Beach aren't even playing hockey.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

We can buy him out but then half his salary still counts against the cap for double the remaining contract...so in other worlds 3 million for six more years...otherwise it’s cap circumvention. We used up our two freebies a long time ago on Ballard and can’t remember. 

Would rather we trade him or just stick it out...three more years.  

The other buyout we used was on “weird dude” David Booth. 

F1671529-5AA7-4D41-96A7-FA2C47BBD029.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I heard that Lu let Benning know months ago, so I doubt it changes anything. Not sure if that true or not though.

He might've factored that in deciding whether to walk away from Hutton.  Perhaps he has another D in mind and wanted to make sure he had the cap space available after recapture..

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

If Canucks offer Myers 4/5 years at $ 5-6 mill. he would laugh at it (most likely).

On what Myers contract could look like

Sportsnet on 650: Renaud Lavoie on pending UFA Tyler Myers: “I do believe Myers will be a 7 year contract. it could be $8 million per season. $6 million might be a bit low. GM’s are looking at the cap being lower and demand for young players – could be less money spent in FA but there’s a lot of demand for defensemen.”

But, but - apparently there's no one else with the "want or will" so sign Myers.

The Canucks are supposedly the only team interested......but there's a "lot of demand for defensemen".

Hmmm.

No wonder people don't know what to think.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Stralman is just as good of a D as Myers, he's just older and has less size. He'd also likely be cheaper and require less term to sign. So I disagree that him and a 'Benn' or similar (or Hutton at something closer to $2-$2.5m) don't move the needle. Especially with also adding Hughes (and eventually Juolevi).

Especially with Hockey Widow reporting that Barrie wants to sign at 'home' in Vancouver next year, I'd actually find this route preferable.

That said, I'm not opposed to Myers on a reasonable contract like 5x6. Not sure that lands him though. Maybe...

Imo, they don't need and should not pursue Barrie next season.  They have Hughes and OJ coming online as offensive type d and Woo as well.  They need size and defensive prowess back there.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo, they don't need and should not pursue Barrie next season.  They have Hughes and OJ coming online as offensive type d and Woo as well.  They need size and defensive prowess back there.

Sure but if we bring in Stralman for a few years and bring back Tryamkin next year, that covers 'size and defensive prowess'. And then we add a legit top pair D in Barrie and we're laughing.

Again, not opposed to Myers either, at a reasonable hit/term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure but if we bring in Stralman for a few years and bring back Tryamkin next year, that covers 'size and defensive prowess'. And then we add a legit top pair D in Barrie and we're laughing.

Again, not opposed to Myers either, at a reasonable hit/term.

I haven't seen any smoke around stralman and JB.......however, there wasn't any for Miller either