The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sadly, I think if we are to sign Barrie after signing Myers this season and especially if Tryamkin comes back...Stecher's probably traded for other assets :unsure:

In 2nd year:

Edler, Barrie

Hughes, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Rathbone, Woo, Rafferty etc

Haha, I literally just quoted you and posted the same thing.  I think that is the direction we will be going and that will be the best D we have ever seen on the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

an eye - opener for all Myers proponents:

Tyler Myers will get way too much money

This one already seems like a given at this point in time. Some of the projected contracts that have been floated around Myers' name have been totally absurd, with the rumored ask being around $7 million a year or more. 

If Myers sniffs even close to that number on an AAV it will be a massive overpay, especially if he gets significant term on the deal. The Winnipeg Jets want to keep him (it's part of the reason they traded Jacob Trouba to the New York Rangers for pennies on the dollar) but they may not be able to afford him at this rate, and that could be a blessing. 

Myers is a decent defenseman and he might be able to provide immediate help to a team that wants some defensive depth, but he's not particularly great in any area of his game. He's okay offensively but is a notable liability in his own end and doesn't fare well against top competition.

At the end of the day, he's a second-or-third-pairing defenseman who is most likely going to get paid like a first-pairing guy for some wild reason. (Spoiler: it's largely because he's 6-foot-8.) His contract will be an albatross for whichever team is dumb or desperate enough to hand it out.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sadly, I think if we are to sign Barrie after signing Myers this season and especially if Tryamkin comes back...Stecher's probably traded for other assets :unsure:

In 2nd year:

Edler, Barrie

Hughes, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Rathbone, Woo, Rafferty etc

Or someone else is traded.  Juolevi may not pan out. With that top 4 I indicated I don't really care so much who is on the bottom pairing as I am sure they will be fine.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

This one already seems like a given at this point in time. Some of the projected contracts that have been floated around Myers' name have been totally absurd, with the rumored ask being around $7 million a year or more. 

If Myers sniffs even close to that number on an AAV it will be a massive overpay, especially if he gets significant term on the deal. The Winnipeg Jets want to keep him (it's part of the reason they traded Jacob Trouba to the New York Rangers for pennies on the dollar) but they may not be able to afford him at this rate, and that could be a blessing. 

Myers is a decent defenseman and he might be able to provide immediate help to a team that wants some defensive depth, but he's not particularly great in any area of his game. He's okay offensively but is a notable liability in his own end and doesn't fare well against top competition.

At the end of the day, he's a second-or-third-pairing defenseman who is most likely going to get paid like a first-pairing guy for some wild reason. (Spoiler: it's largely because he's 6-foot-8.) His contract will be an albatross for whichever team is dumb or desperate enough to hand it out.

WE WILL HAVE ANTI GRAVITY CARS BY THE THE YEAR  2000.  Wait.... that never happened. 

He is most certainly not a 3rd pairing defenceman.  He is a solid second pairing player who could play top pairing with a "true number 1".

If he gets 7 x $7MM I will be on here condemning it.  It is just radio talk and click bait.  It's called revenue by the companies who propagate it. 

What I find interesting is with all of the vitriol and bitching going on before he even signs Canucks fans and Vancouver media wonder why we get a bad rap.  If I am him, after all this crap being spewed I don't sign here at all.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Or someone else is traded.  Juolevi may not pan out. With that top 4 I indicated I don't really care so much who is on the bottom pairing as I am sure they will be fine.

Who? Edler will be expiring and on an NMC. We just theoretically signed Barrie, and Myers one year before him so neither of them. Tryamkin is just coming back and won't hurt in helping Podkolzin feel comfortable/get him over plus brings some much needed size. Never mind we wouldn't be trading him until he actually gets some games played if we were to move him at all. Juolevi's going to be a top 4 staple in a few years as long as he can get/stay healthy....

This is another reason I wouldn't hate us targeting Stralman over Myers actually. It could quite possibly allow us to retain Stecher, whom I like very much and I think would go through 10 brick walls for his home town club.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who? Edler will be expiring and on an NMC. We just theoretically signed Barrie, and Myers one year before him so neither of them. Tryamkin is just coming back and won't hurt in helping Podkolzin feel comfortable/get him over plus brings some much needed size. Never mind we wouldn't be trading him until he actually gets some games played if we were to move him at all. Juolevi's going to be a top 4 staple in a few years as long as he can get/stay healthy....

This is another reason I wouldn't hate us targeting Stralman over Myers actually. It could quite possibly allow us to retain Stecher, whom I like very much and I think would go through 10 brick walls for his home town club.

I dont "hate" that either, but I do think we need one of them. Its a bit of a coin toss, is the older cheaper one better or the younger bigger one? dunno.

What I would hate tho is not getting either and coming back to next year, losing Tanev on opening night to an freak whistle injury and struggling again just be a .500 team.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It really comes down to term for me. Anything over 5 and it handcuffs us.  Stralman on a nice short term contract gives us flexibility without a loss of quality. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Some hold the view that Hughes should be slotted in at the 2nd D-pairing. Personally I would like to see Hughes - mainly for development reasons in his 1st rull rookie season- on the 3rd pairing.

1st pairing:  Edler + Stech

2nd pairing: Myers + Dillon

3rd pairing : Hughes + Tanev.

Jim made it clear that he aims to improve the D-Corps. The emphasis should clearly be on improve. Dillon would indeed be an upgrad on Hutton, a far more impactful D than Hutton ever was.

Sure but the problem then becomes where’s the room for Juolevi?

20 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

There's also:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, if we’re assuming Juolevi and Tryamkin are ready, here soon, we need a stop gap. Unless we are moving Tanev. 

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yes, if we’re assuming Juolevi and Tryamkin are ready, here soon, we need a stop gap. Unless we are moving Tanev. 

Even if we're moving Tanev IMO. I'm assuming hes gone by next summer if not sooner anyway.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Even if we're moving Tanev IMO. I'm assuming hes gone by next summer if not sooner anyway.

Tanev is our best piece in the whole "weaponize our cap space" thingy. Tanev at 50% for Zaitsav and some a-prospects could work out well for us. The Leaves have a number of guys that would be NHL ready well within the next 3 seasons and we're going to need a couple more ELCs on our lineup that can play thanks to recapture. 

Myers

Stecher

Zaitsav

is far better than

Tanev injured 35 games

Stecher taking his place

Schenn

Biega 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Tanev is our best piece in the whole "weaponize our cap space" thingy. Tanev at 50% for Zaitsav and some a-prospects could work out well for us. The Leaves have a number of guys that would be NHL ready well within the next 3 seasons and we're going to need a couple more ELCs on our lineup that can play thanks to recapture. 

Myers

Stecher

Zaitsav

is far better than

Tanev injured 35 games

Stecher taking his place

Schenn

Biega 

No thanks to Zaitsev.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Burkie with an interesting take on potential offer from us. Could see him giving us slight haircut to be in BC, but probably more like $6.5mil x 5 or 6. 

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1144611269187473408?s=20

Myers' wife is from Kelowna.  Myers has a house there.  I think his wife wants her young family to be close to home, if not at home.  How long is a flight from Van to Kel?  40 minutes?  Myers is rich.  The cost of flights is nothing to him.  His wife could go home when the team is on the road too. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so there's no reasonable return from the Leaves prospect system that would make it worthwhile to you? what if he came with Sandin? 

Rather just trade Tanev +/- for a similar prospect straight up than have to take on Zaitsev's contract. Especially with the Luongo situation.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so there's no reasonable return from the Leaves prospect system that would make it worthwhile to you? what if he came with Sandin? 

It's hard to fit Zaitsev's 4.5 million dollar cap into our team.  He's, at best, Ben Hutton.  It's a five year deal.