The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but thats the "weaponize" part 

On a one or two year deal, sure. Bottom pair $4m+ D for 5 years...no thanks. Not sure I'd even send them Eriksson given the extra years.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  But it's five years of his contract.  That's a long time to carry a guy (for 4.5) who is not really more than a bottom pair guy, is it?

depends whats surrounding him and what we are getting back. I'm not a big fan of Babcock, I don't think he's the coaching guru TO thinks he is and he may have mismanaged Zaitsav too, there might be a better player there than many think on a new team. It would all depend on how our scouting system viewed Zaitsav - if they see a player they think they can get more from then maybe its not that bad. I know they don't read CDC for their strategy. Dear god I hope not. 

TO is desperate, i think we can rob their prospect pool. Let Hutty go, we'd have to pay him 3 mil anyway. So for the 1.5 difference if we can rob TO of a potential top 4 D and a top 9 F prospects then yeah, I'm in. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Sure but the problem then becomes where’s the room for Juolevi?

To me it's where Dillon sits.  Myers is RHD and not LHD so it would be:

Edler Stecher

Joulevi Myers

Hughes Tanev

Or more realistically:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Tanev

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To me it's where Dillon sits.  Myers is RHD and not LHD so it would be:

Edler Stecher

Joulevi Myers

Hughes Tanev

Or more realistically:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Tanev

I like that second group. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yes, if we’re assuming Juolevi and Tryamkin are ready, here soon, we need a stop gap. Unless we are moving Tanev. 

Tryamkin is ready as soon as we can get him over and I think Joulevi is more than ready for 3rd pairing.  With that said, Myers is essentially the Tanev replacement (Different D men I know) and we would need to move him in preparation for Tryamkin coming back so maybe at the deadline for max return (Fingers crossed he's healthy).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers' wife is from Kelowna.  Myers has a house there.  I think his wife wants her young family to be close to home, if not at home.  How long is a flight from Van to Kel?  40 minutes?  Myers is rich.  The cost of flights is nothing to him.  His wife could go home when the team is on the road too. 

Also: His legs are so long he can probably walk there in the same amount of time :P < Tall person humor there. I could see him being lowballed by WPG since they still need to sign Laine/Connor and circling back to us for a slightly lower amount due to his wife. I have not heard about him visiting any other teams by name so it does not seem like he has a ton of suitors. Any searches on Myers FA status are not favorable and essentially say to steer clear which makes me feel kinda bad for him because I hear he is a very good guy. 

1 minute ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Also: His legs are so long he can probably walk there in the same amount of time :P < Tall person humor there. I could see him being lowballed by WPG since they still need to sign Laine/Connor and circling back to us for a slightly lower amount due to his wife. I have not heard about him visiting any other teams by name so it does not seem like he has a ton of suitors. Any searches on Myers FA status are not favorable and essentially say to steer clear which makes me feel kinda bad for him because I hear he is a very good guy. 

31 teams would want Myers.  It’s like wth Trouba though.  The player, for family reasons, only wants one.  

I think Myers would be a good fit for the Canucks but hoping the cap and term aren't too bad from a value perspective.  Saw a tweet where Friedman doesn't think the deal will be $7M+ so that's good but I suppose it could still be $6.99M :P.

Even if the Canucks sign Myers for around $7M a year though, that cap hit may actually not be too bad even factoring in extensions for Pettersson and Hughes.  Neither Jake or Gaudette are likely to get a big raise unless they both have huge years this season.  While we hope that is the case, we'll just have to see.  Considering that Pearson, Edler, Sutter (assuming he's not traded), and Baertschi's (also assuming he's not traded) contracts are all up in two-years, that clears up about $17M in cap space depending on what else comes in during that time.  Capfriendly is showing about $55.7M in cap space in 2-years.  Beagle and Roussel obviously are still big cap hits at that time, but there's a possibility they could be traded or snapped up in the expansion draft which would clear more cap space.  Add to that the possibility that in 2-years, the Canucks could have Woo, Podkolzin, Madden and Hoglander become regulars on ELCs which could further help the Canucks window of competitiveness.

The wildcard in the future cap mix for the Canucks are at goaltending.  The Canucks are currently in a great position at goal from a cap perspective but Markstrom's a UFA next summer and Demko is still unproven.

While I think management might be a bit overly optimistic about how competitive the team is right now, I think there's a decent chance that they are in fact rounding into a competitive team that could compete for a bottom-tier playoff spot over the next couple of years and may have their ranks swelled after that IF current prospects turn out to be as good as we hope.  Myers will help make-over and solidify the D even if he's not necessarily a game-changer (Hughes is technically the game-changer even if that may be placing too much on his shoulders) and Miller gives the Canucks a solid top-6 forward who should compliment the core young players well.

Now if only the team could stay healthy for most of the season...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

31 teams would want Myers.  It’s like wth Trouba though.  The player, for family reasons, only wants one.  

And that is why I "hope" this gives us leverage in discussions. Would you be willing to do 6 x 6 with limited NMC? Or would you drather 5 x 7 with no clause? 

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

And that is why I "hope" this gives us leverage in discussions. Would you be willing to do 6 x 6 with limited NMC? Or would you drather 5 x 7 with no clause? 

If like him to play for free.  Myers will sign at 6.5 x 6 years.  He will have a full NMC for protection from expansion draft.  Limited NTC after that.  Lots of money in bonus.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Myers would be a good fit for the Canucks but hoping the cap and term aren't too bad from a value perspective.  Saw a tweet where Friedman doesn't think the deal will be $7M+ so that's good but I suppose it could still be $6.99M :P.

Even if the Canucks sign Myers for around $7M a year though, that cap hit may actually not be too bad even factoring in extensions for Pettersson and Hughes.  Neither Jake or Gaudette are likely to get a big raise unless they both have huge years this season.  While we hope that is the case, we'll just have to see.  Considering that Pearson, Edler, Sutter (assuming he's not traded), and Baertschi's (also assuming he's not traded) contracts are all up in two-years, that clears up about $17M in cap space depending on what else comes in during that time.  Capfriendly is showing about $55.7M in cap space in 2-years.  Beagle and Roussel obviously are still big cap hits at that time, but there's a possibility they could be traded or snapped up in the expansion draft which would clear more cap space.  Add to that the possibility that in 2-years, the Canucks could have Woo, Podkolzin, Madden and Hoglander become regulars on ELCs which could further help the Canucks window of competitiveness.

The wildcard in the future cap mix for the Canucks are at goaltending.  The Canucks are currently in a great position at goal from a cap perspective but Markstrom's a UFA next summer and Demko is still unproven.

While I think management might be a bit overly optimistic about how competitive the team is right now, I think there's a decent chance that they are in fact rounding into a competitive team that could compete for a bottom-tier playoff spot over the next couple of years and may have their ranks swelled after that IF current prospects turn out to be as good as we hope.  Myers will help make-over and solidify the D even if he's not necessarily a game-changer (Hughes is technically the game-changer even if that may be placing too much on his shoulders) and Miller gives the Canucks a solid top-6 forward who should compliment the core young players well.

You are waaaaaaaaaay too positive to be a Canucks fan ;)  Great post though. 

14 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Tryamkin is ready as soon as we can get him over and I think Joulevi is more than ready for 3rd pairing.  With that said, Myers is essentially the Tanev replacement (Different D men I know) and we would need to move him in preparation for Tryamkin coming back so maybe at the deadline for max return (Fingers crossed he's healthy).

Watching that recent Twitter video of OJ skating between the red and blue line, shows that he still has a ways to go in recovery. He was not able to put much weight on either edge when stopping, but I am glad he is on the ice and progressing. I am not holding my breath on Tryamkin either for the same reason we are hopeful about Myers giving us a discount (wives living preferences). While Tram was not happy with Willie D and playing time, it is also known his wife missed Russia and wanted to go home. Happy wife, happy life. 

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Excellent post!

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Watching that recent Twitter video of OJ skating between the red and blue line, shows that he still has a ways to go in recovery. He was not able to put much weight on either edge when stopping, but I am glad he is on the ice and progressing. I am not holding my breath on Tryamkin either for the same reason we are hopeful about Myers giving us a discount (wives living preferences). While Tram was not happy with Willie D and playing time, it is also known his wife missed Russia and wanted to go home. Happy wife, happy life. 

Definitely true and thanks for the update on OJ.  I meant that if he is fully healed he will be ready for 3rd line minutes, but as you mention he may not be there at that point.  We'll have to keep monitoring,

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Tryamkin still follows the Canucks has said he’s open to coming back, and his agent most recently said he wants him to come back (I’m sure selfish financial motivations play a part there lol, as he gets a % of the salary). That being said, Tryamkin’s agent said he’s open as well and that he’d want to sit down w mgmt and know his role. The recent interview sounded like a lot of “detailed” discussions where occurring. I think in reality he will be here post his season in Russia - March 2020

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

an eye - opener for all Myers proponents:

Tyler Myers will get way too much money

This one already seems like a given at this point in time. Some of the projected contracts that have been floated around Myers' name have been totally absurd, with the rumored ask being around $7 million a year or more. 

If Myers sniffs even close to that number on an AAV it will be a massive overpay, especially if he gets significant term on the deal. The Winnipeg Jets want to keep him (it's part of the reason they traded Jacob Trouba to the New York Rangers for pennies on the dollar) but they may not be able to afford him at this rate, and that could be a blessing. 

Myers is a decent defenseman and he might be able to provide immediate help to a team that wants some defensive depth, but he's not particularly great in any area of his game. He's okay offensively but is a notable liability in his own end and doesn't fare well against top competition.

At the end of the day, he's a second-or-third-pairing defenseman who is most likely going to get paid like a first-pairing guy for some wild reason. (Spoiler: it's largely because he's 6-foot-8.) His contract will be an albatross for whichever team is dumb or desperate enough to hand it out. 

wishy washy wannabe nonsense.

so much wrong with that

1) The Jets want to keep him - but will be lucky if they can't....cool part of the story

2) he's a notable liability in his own end - which explains why he was, behind the Morrisey/Trouba pairing, next in cue on their penalty kill.  Considering the fact the Jets also had Byfuglien, Chiarot, Kulikov = all serviceable enough defensively and capable of killing penalties - the 'Myers is a liability story either doesn't stand up, or the Winnipeg Jets don't know much about hockey.

3) he's a 2nd or 3rd pairing D - again - over 20 minutes/game - 4th on a good, deep, contending Jets blueline - noobs seem to get confused with the modern day NHL, figuring out a player's role, too caught up in myths of 'top 4' vs '3rd pairing' - not realizing that it's both situational, and not as simple as glancing at a 5 on 5 pairings chart.

4) he'll get paid, largely because he is 6'8" - this one has teenage blogger commentary written all over it.

Sorry - eyes not opened, still not 'woke' :ph34r:

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1