The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

28 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He gets paid the big bucks on July 1. Then the rest of the contract is low $$. His deal was rather front loaded.

He’s still due $8 million after that bonus.  He’s not likely to walk away from that.  You should see how low *I* am willing to debase myself for only twenty bucks....

&h=653&w=980&tbnid=NNFlpXBOCpMqqM&tbnh=1

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats an interesting wrinkle. 

Looking at other teams this morning, I like our chances of improving. Calgary doesn't actually have a starting goalie under contract at the moment :lol: fun times. 

Dunno, I love this time of year, so many possibilities (even with the epic whining going on). 

Yup.  Fun to see our team shaping up for next season.  I think JB was in Boston when they signed Chara as a UFA, and that stabilized their D for a decade.  I can see JB expecting Myers could do the same for us.  We have a lot of young D men coming over the next few years (Hughes, OJ, Woo, Rathbone) and adding Myers would help those guys settle in to lesser roles, while they grow as players.

• Upvote 3

So if we re-sign Boeser and sign Myers to 7 million per each (hypothetical), then we’re at 3 million in cap space, which Hutton would take up the rest of. Get rid of Loui, and we’re at 5-6 million in cap space. Next year Tanev, Spooner, Schaller are off the books, with Markstrom, Virt, Gaud and Stetcher likely being re-signed, maybe Tanev too. 

That next year we have Edler, Baer, Sutter, Pearson off the books, but I want to re-sign Pearson to a reasonable contract. 

Including re-signings, we have ~10-13(plus the raise in cap) million to re-sign Petey. That’ll give us window of 2 years before Bo and Miller need to be re-signed. 

2022-2023 seems like the year Hoglander could most likely join, thus being our cup run year. Also assuming Tryamkin comes back. 

Lineup

Miller - Petey - Brock (Size and Skill)

Hoglander - Bo - Podkolzin (Size, skill, compete, perfect mix of everything) 

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Keppen/Plug - Beagle - plug 

Hughes - Tryamkin

Juolevi - Woo 

Hutton/plug - Myers (Woo and Myers are interchangeable) 

Demko 

Marky 

I think we still need a #1/2 Dman to play with Hughes. Trade?

Hughes - #1/2 

Juolevi - Tryamkin (Styles mix well) 

Sounds like a good top 4. One of Myers and Stetcher would need to play on the their off sides on the bottom pair, but it gives us very nice depth throughout. The forwards look pretty good as well, especially that second line. We have a great group of character, with fight, skill, size, compete and skill, but I don’t think it’s enough to put us in cup contention. Whatever money is left on Petey should be used for rentals that year, imo. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, rypien=hero said:

Was born in Houston, Texas. Although I swear I remember him playing for Canada at the world juniors. 

Tyler Paul Myers is an American-born Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League. He was drafted by the Sabres in the first round, 12th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Wikipedia

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

That was Philippe Myers - a Philadelphia prospect.   Tyler Myers wasn't at the worlds.

A ok, thanks.  I remember hearing Myers and thought it was Tyler.  He's still Canadian though.  Just born in America.

am i missing something?

nucks available cap for this season used to be 30 million

then new cap was shaved from 83 to 82, added edler and jt miller

now there is 17.7 left

motte, hutton, leivo, goldy, granlund need resigning - assume you can get 1st 3 done for a combined 6.5 and only sign one of the last 2 for 1.2

leaves 10 million

then brock

leaves enough cap flex to get through the season (2 to 3 million)

if meyers is signed for 6.5, then hutton, goldy and granlund are gone

and nucks are tight to the cap to start the season

there is still always a possibly of a trade happening that could change everything

so.. am i missing something here ?

Edited by coastal.view

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Shame that Schenn won’t be re-signed. Myers, while tall, isn’t the bulldozer Schenn is and won’t replace his physicality.  

if we get Myers my moneys on a Spooner buyout too - we'd save 2.6 mil this year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

What are the options: Myers, Gardiner, or Barrie. Ideally JB signs a RD and trades Tanev. QH plays RD on the PP. 

Edler - UFA (still hoping for Barrie) 

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Joulevi - Biega

Teves 

* Woo is here in as little as 1 year, maybe 2

* Tryamkin here by next spring

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

am i missing something?

now there is 17.7 left

motte, hutton, leivo, goldy, granlund need resigning - assume you can get 1st 3 done for a combined 6.5 and only sign one of the last 2 for 1.2

leaves 10 million

then brock

there is still always a possibly of a trade happening that could change everything

We have like 18 forwards :lol: presently who won't all be on the roster. We'd also be moving out some D (Tanev).

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

What are the options: Myers, Gardiner, or Barrie. Ideally JB signs a RD and trades Tanev. QH plays RD on the PP. 

Edler - UFA (still hoping for Barrie) 

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Joulevi - Biega

Teves 

* Woo is here in as little as 1 year, maybe 2

* Tryamkin here by next spring

Barrie would be a trade, not UFA.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

am i missing something?

now there is 17.7 left

leaves 10 million

then brock

Those guys you mentioned are not a priority. The Canucks need to re-sign Boeser and get a D man. The other positions will be filled by new guys at entry level contracts or some of the others wanting to return on million dollar specials. 

I like the video of him being mic'ed up. He has a big voice and big personality on the bench. Teams need a guy like that. He will be good to have when the games get heated. Its always good to have a guy that likes to yell at other players and ref's and keep things honest. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I would give him 6.5 mil x 6 years.

or 7 M and 5 yrs

our forward group is crowded. We need to get rid of spooner, eriksson, sutter and perhaps Tanev but i think canucks will prob keep sutter and tanev 

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind Tryamkin likely returning...

And even with that, I'm not opposed to Myers himself. Perfectly decent, right side, #3D. I'm more opposed to the 7x$7 contract it's likely going to take to land him...:wacko:

FAR rather sign Stralman for 2+/- years and target Miller, Ristolainen etc in trade (while moving Tanev). If we can sign someone like Benn short term, move Hutton too.

Yup, the D will continue to transition, we aren't doing it all this year.  If JB does sign two, I surely hope one of them is a 1 or 2-year placeholder.  Interesting part will be whether one or both of Tanev and Hutton go.  That's where we really needed to get Juolevi some NHL time last season, to see where he's at.  He could step right in and take Hutton's spot, or show that he needs more time in Utica.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I'm confident Tryamkin will come back. But the big question to me is will he stay? If he's back on a 2 year deal my ideal goal. Does he stay after that terms up? I'm not sold he will at this stage.

If he’s playing well enough that we want him to stay, then he’s going to have a really fun 2 years here. Young Russian star Vasili joins the team in the second year on a team just finding its legs. This guys going to have a blast in Van as long as he takes it seriously and shows up in nhl shape with something to prove.

man if we get Nikita back and sign Myers, in 2 years we could have Myers Tryamkin Bo  Miller Podkolzin virtanen beagle roussel mckewen. That’s a pretty rugged team surrounding Petey and Quinn.

• Like 1