The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

More Ferraro and the Media Muppets.  Can't understand what the Canucks are doing, Canucks need to "unload" Beagle's contract, equating the Marleau and Miller trades, Canucks have no prospect depth.  It's like listening to the average fan talk around a water cooler, whereas these guys are not only supposed to have knowledge but enough resources to have some depth of insight and analysis.

Yuck.  

I’ve never had a lot of time for Ferraro’s “input” - I’ve never found a single thing he’s said to be particularly insightful for illuminating in any way.  It’s also sad how the Vancouver radio guys fluff him up like he’d be the next great GM.  

(I know these aren’t Vancouver radio guys - which is why they jump to defend pairing Marleau with a first so they can sign Kapanen and the other guy.)

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That article was the saddest bit of “analysis” I’ve ever read.  

The fact with Myers is that over his career he’s always on the ice for more goals for than against 5v5 and has (overall) pretty even Corsi.  He’s also, usually, getting pretty even done starts.  Last year he was negative Corsi but still positive for goals for and against.  As a team, the jets were a negative Corsi group and negative goals and goals against 5v5... so Myers actually tilted the ice in their favour if you’re counting goals, which he always seems to do.

That he slotted in behind Byfuglien and Trouba (two bonafide “number ones”) is hardly a knock on the guy.   Those guys are studs.

I don't think he should be paid like a “number one” and at his age the contract length is worth thinking about... but to say he’s worth 4.5 when by all accounts he’s earning his 5.5 he makes already is just silly.  If we nab him for anything in the 5-6 million mark for 5 or less years we should be pretty happy with that.  

We’ll see what he signs for (if he signs with us) but to assume the guy should take a hair cut on his contract when he’s been pretty consistent / solid defender is just classic anti-Benning fear mongering.  He’s going to sign for 8 mil!  He’s only worth 4!  He’s a third pairing guy!  Camman.

- The truth is: Yes, he is a third pairing guy. He  actually played 3rd pair for the last 3 years -  see the tweet  below. 

- The truth is: he was not only slotted in behind Byfuglien & Trouba, but also behind: Morissey + Chiarot + Beauliau

I suggest you go on twitter and read the twitter post below in full. Once you have done this you have a much better idea of Myers stats and deployment over the last 3 y.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Wat 2

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

can you name those three players, left to right  please?

If you think that's bad, I have some Taylor Hall / Edmonton Oilers for you.

That was in 2013.  Myer's sophomore year.  Myers was in front, I wanna say Tallinder was his partner that year.  I don't remember who the forward was.

Benning said, we want to add a top - 4 D-Man in the video below.

Let's assume they sign Myers in free agency.

Myers played on the 3rd pairing for the last 3 years with the Jets.

Oh, wait, in the canucks world he is a top 4 guy.  ::D

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

- The truth is: Yes, he is a third pairing guy. He  actually played 3rd pair for the last 3 years -  see the tweet  below. 

- The truth is: he was not only slotted in behing Byfuglien & Trouba, but also behind: Morissey + Chiarot + Beauliau

I suggest you go on twitter and read the twitter post below in full. Once you have done this you have a much better idea of Myers stats and deployment over the last 3 y.

Did you read his analysis?  

He could be a good 2RD with a decent partner (Hughes.)  Imagine Hughes wheeling up the ice with a big shot to feed.  Or getting help clearing the crease.  Sounds good to me.

That’s exactly what we’re trying to sign. 

Like the guy (and I) said, not being as good as Trouba or Byfuglien isn’t a crime.  

He’s not “behind” the left handed d men. That’s just how the pairings break down.

The 30% CTOI against top opposition seems to me that he’s pulling his weight. Top pairings are “high 30s” then Myers at 30 is pulling his weight, no?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Benning said, we want to add a top - 4 D-Man in the video below.

Let's assume they sign Myers in free agency.

Myers played on the 3rd pairing for the last 3 years with the Jets.

Oh, wait, in the canucks world he is a top 4 guy.  ::D

Your own source called him a 2nd pairing guy and admitted his deployment in Winnipeg behind Trouba / Buff was like a 4/5.  Behind two bonafide #1 all/stars.  

Come on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

More Ferraro and the Media Muppets.  Can't understand what the Canucks are doing, Canucks need to "unload" Beagle's contract, equating the Marleau and Miller trades, Canucks have no prospect depth.  It's like listening to the average fan talk around a water cooler, whereas these guys are not only supposed to have knowledge but enough resources to have some depth of insight and analysis.

Bryan Hayes knows nothing about Jim Bennings tenure in Vancouver. He said 5 years the team has never made the playoffs WRONG! They made the playoffs in their first year when Benning was GM. Either you know your $€!+ and say it or if you don’t know it, then say nothing of the matter. Because these “hockey guys” are misinforming other hockey fans and that’s wrong and stupid. Media should have some sort of repercussions when they say false facts like that. Otherwise shut the F up. These guys are getting paid to inform us, not misinform us. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How many 3rd pairing defencemen average over 22 minutes for their career, and have never had under 20 in a season?  He was also 4th in ice-time for the Jets last season.

Just because one plays on the 3rd pairing doesn't mean he's the #5 or 6 on the depth chart. Same rationale is used to call Sutter a "4th line center", when he actually gets top-6 TOI.

People like to think they could do a better job. I think Myers is going to take a discount to come here and even if it takes 6 million over 5-6 years. It's not as bad, because the cap is going to go up again, once expansion is done. More revenue, more cap. 

9 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Bryan Hayes knows nothing about Jim Bennings tenure in Vancouver. He said 5 years the team has never made the playoffs WRONG! They made the playoffs in their first year when Benning was GM. Either you know your $€!+ and say it or if you don’t know it, then say nothing of the matter. Because these “hockey guys” are misinforming other hockey fans and that’s wrong and stupid. Media should have some sort of repercussions when they say false facts like that. Otherwise shut the F up. These guys are getting paid to inform us, not misinform us. 

Meh, what's a little embellishment when maintaining a narrative.  Most fans won't know the difference, especially the ones here that love grey clouds and feed off negativity.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Meh, what's a little embellishment when maintaining a narrative.  Most fans won't know the difference, especially the ones here that love grey clouds and feed off negativity.

While you are right that most fans in that market won’t know the difference, little embellishment or not it’s not the truth. Hence shouldn’t have been said. I know politicians and the like lie through their teeth but it’s disappointing that people are paid by giving out false information and have no consequences to it. Doesn’t make Benning look good to say he’s never made the playoffs ever in his tenure when in actual fact he has. That’s all I’m saying, if you don’t know your stuff then keep your mouth shut Hayes.

Edited by EP Phone Home

54 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How many 3rd pairing defencemen average over 22 minutes for their career, and have never had under 20 in a season?  He was also 4th in ice-time for the Jets last season.

Just because one plays on the 3rd pairing doesn't mean he's the #5 or 6 on the depth chart. Same rationale is used to call Sutter a "4th line center", when he actually gets top-6 TOI.

Exactly this.  His career is between 20-22 mins per game.  That is nearly top pairing ice time.  He is behind big buff and Trouba of course because they are better, but they obviously had a more D balance in their games.  He is a top 4 no question and it’s bizarre that some don’t see that.  So many people are grasping at straws to try and bring him down rather than actually look at how good he is.  He is exactly what we need in our D.

”But his underlying numbers on Thursday’s when there is a 60% chance of rain shows he only get 1 shot per game.....”

I think people are reaching.  He makes our D better and the contract will be fine.

• Cheers 1

Tyler Myers would be #2 on the Leaves right now.  He'd be first pairing with Rielly.  He is easily a top 4 Dman in this league.  3rd pairing guys don't average 22 minutes a night and get 35 points a year.  

Hughes  Myers  would look real good next year.  Would take a load off of Edler  Tanev and decrease their minutes accordingly. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tyler Myers would be #2 on the Leaves right now.  He'd be first pairing with Rielly.  He is easily a top 4 Dman in this league.  3rd pairing guys don't average 22 minutes a night and get 35 points a year.  

Hughes  Myers  would look real good next year.  Would take a load off of Edler  Tanev and decrease their minutes accordingly. 

I'd go 

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

UFA stretcher

Tanev is not durable enough for those mins, imo

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

- The truth is: he was not only slotted in behind Byfuglien & Trouba, but also behind: Morissey + Chiarot + Beauliau

Beaulieu is so good he played zero playoff games this year and the Jets didn't even bother to qualify him, so basically they are letting him walk for nothing at 26 years old.  But he is better than Tyler Myers...  :picard:

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd go 

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

UFA stretcher

Tanev is not durable enough for those mins, imo

I think you are right, they may split it up that way.  Who knows Tanev may be the next to go as well.  It will be an interesting summer.

I hope the Canucks don't plan on stretching out Stecher, I know he's kinda small but it could affect his skating...  ^_^