The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

31 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't know what league you've been following but these days, in the NHL, most good players contribute in the top-half of the lineup well before the age of 25.

Not even going to get into the merits of squeaking into the playoffs for the revenue vs. building a true, consistent contender.

GM says Cup teams are 26-35 and you say good players contribute in the top half of the lineup we’ll before the age of 25. The two ideas are not synonymous.

Benning article

In six years, when Pettersson is on his second Cup, the Canucks are still going to draft a 1st round player that will be two years away from making his NHL debut...

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Pavel the Bure said:

Would you rather be young and poor or old and rich ?

Ristolianen would cost a fortune in trade, he is not a FA, Ristolianen may not want to play in Vancouver , other team may offer better pieces in trade 9if Buff trade him)...so many questions ….

we’re at the tail end of this rebuild.. its hockey, anything can happen..

A glut of strong D in Buffalo now that they traded a 2nd and a 5th for Colin Miller.

Maybe we offer a 2nd and a 5th and Bartschi ? Or??  For Risto,. Whom Boterhill feels is not performing up to expectations.

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Honestly if the number is 6.5 x6 im ok with that. 

Hughes Myers 

Edler Stetcher

Hutton?? Tanev

Juolevi Woo

Tryamkin? possibly the following year 

Is it an overpayment sure but I see the merit of putting a big shot next to Hughes. who eles is out there? how long do you wait? 

we have waited years, JB has never addressed it, why get desperate now...to save his job!?

6 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Myers isnt a top 3 def , so people in vancouver better understand that, esp if he is signed by van ....like others have said, hes 4-5th ....but im sure van will want him to be something he isnt which will make the fans hate him more...:( so a no win situation for myers

You’ve seen Vans D core right?

Of course he’ll be a number 3. Maybe even a number 2 if Taney can’t stay healthy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

curious what you'd pay Tryamkin?

He is presently making 728k usd with Avtomobilist..

i think it would be fair to offer him 2.5 to bridge him to UFA,. But of course options to resign and up before that (if possible).

I seriously hope to see Nik worth 3.5 - 4 mil after his first full season with us.

He has the lineage of a player strong into his 30’s.

ps. I beleive he was offered 2.5 just before he left.

Edited by SilentSam
Ps.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do these so called insiders know more or even less than we do?  We need to remember these guys are propaganda puppets for the teams and the agents.  Their inside information is all too often only intended as deflection from the the truth.  

My point is have you heard a single report from any other team other than the Canucks having interest in Tyler Myers.

Yet it seems in everyones opinion we are going to over pay for him.

If we are the only team interested (other than him re-signing with the jets) shouldn't the bidding be low.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

If the rebuild is over, I sure dont hold my hopes too high on this team being competitive, we severely lack depth/skill in all areas still imo

hughes, petey, bosser, Horvat, gaudette and our goaltending will all prob be better this year, plus on paper we are significantly better than last year with Pearson, jt miller, Myers and the new and improved markstrom. our ability to become a contender really depends on petey, bess, bo, hughes demko, podkolzin, gaudette, madden, Virtanen, Hollander, woo, Juolevi that's our new core

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If the rebuild is over, I sure dont hold my hopes too high on this team being competitive, we severely lack depth/skill in all areas still imo

Rebuild and Cup are not synonymous in stage.

Edited by Me_

8 minutes ago, babalu said:

My point is have you heard a single report from any other team other than the Canucks having interest in Tyler Myers.

Yet it seems in everyones opinion we are going to over pay for him.

If we are the only team interested (other than him re-signing with the jets) shouldn't the bidding be low.

Have we heard of any team interested in Jake Gardiner?  Maybe some guys prefer the quiet approach?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Have we heard of any team interested in Jake Gardiner?  Maybe some guys prefer the quiet approach?

Although it was public news when he visited vancouver,

You would think there would be some report of interest somewhere on the interwebs.

I have tried to find any indication or suggestion that any other team has interest and I can't find it.

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We have a lot of skill, and our depth is better than it’s been in a long time.  JB is bringing in guys like Miller and Myers and Benn on the big club.  He’s got younger guys ready to call up in case of injury on the farm.  And he’s got a boatload of top end young prospects who will be pushing for spots at both the NHL and AHL levels over the next 1 to 4 years.  He’s actually built a team that’s going to compete for the next 7 years for sure, and likely a full decade.  

I was critical of JB’s method, but I respect his results.  He’s done a good job, and I’m happy as a fan.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not even going to get into the merits of squeaking into the playoffs for the revenue vs. building a true, consistent contender.

no merit - to the assumption that your 'way' would lead to consistent contending, or that Benning's will result in being trapped in medocrity/purgatory.
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

hughes, petey, bosser, Horvat, gaudette and our goaltending will all prob be better this year, plus on paper we are significantly better than last year with Pearson, jt miller, Myers and the new and improved markstrom. our ability to become a contender really depends on petey, bess, bo, hughes demko, podkolzin, gaudette, madden, Virtanen, Hollander, woo, Juolevi that's our new core

Our Goaltending stood on its head almost all of last year. Dont know how much more they can improve when they have a subpar D core infront of them

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, babalu said:

Although it was public news when he visited vancouver,

You would think there would be some report of interest somewhere on the interwebs.

I have tried to find any indication or suggestion that any other team has interest and I can't find it.

Maybe Myers’ wife, being a Kelowna girl, wants to be home?  Maybe there is no need to look elsewhere for Tyler?  Maybe he wanted to be here for a while, and now he’s got the chance he doesn’t want to screw it up?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have a lot of skill, and our depth is better than it’s been in a long time.  JB is bringing in guys like Miller and Myers and Benn on the big club.  He’s got younger guys ready to call up in case of injury on the farm.  And he’s got a boatload of top end young prospects who will be pushing for spots at both the NHL and AHL levels over the next 1 to 4 years.  He’s actually built a team that’s going to compete for the next 7 years for sure, and likely a full decade.  

I was critical of JB’s method, but I respect his results.  He’s done a good job, and I’m happy as a fan.  

What results do we have. EP looks stellar, he is also a high end pick, Jake...drafted just as high, seems to be a 3rd liner with a lower hockey iq that as of now hasn't shown he can play with the top 6 guys or hasn't earned the coaches trust to be put in that spot.

Boat load of top end talent? Who do we have waiting in the wings that is NOT on the NHL roster...Podz? 2 years away then who? I dont see any high end talent in the A ready for a call up pounding on the door?