The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Have we heard of any team interested in Jake Gardiner?  Maybe some guys prefer the quiet approach?

I bet Bergevin gives Gardiner a big fat raise tomorrow. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:
no merit - to the assumption that your 'way' would lead to consistent contending, or that Benning's will result in being trapped in medocrity/purgatory.

The results so far have supported one side of the argument. Benning has already had to cut ties with (trade away or buyout) several players that he brought in that apologists argued were good moves from the start. If one is going to argue that those mistakes "don't matter in the grand scheme" of things then Benning is truly infallible, which is quite the description for someone who has led the team to the record we have so far under his watch. 

We'll see what happens.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Our Goaltending stood on its head almost all of last year. Dont know how much more they can improve when they have a subpar D core infront of them

they were slow to get going last year, if I can remember, October/November were not as good as feb/march

Just now, brian42 said:

I know a fair portion of the fan base will hate this (or have pre-hated it ad naseum already) but we can't go into next season without a right side upgrade. Schenn ain't it. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I know a fair portion of the fan base will hate this (or have pre-hated it ad naseum already) but we can't go into next season without a right side upgrade. Schenn ain't it. 

I agree I just hope the terms of the deal are reasonable, Pavelski and Duchene give me hope even thought it’s a different position 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Unfortunately for him he's going to be micro-analyzed for everything he does.  Then again, he's likely well-aware of that segment of the fanbase here, whether from other players or the team itself.  No doubt most of them completely tune it out by now.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I agree I just hope the terms of the deal are reasonable, Pavelski and Duchene give me hope even thought it’s a different position 

8 for Duchene and 7 for Pavalski are reasonable numbers?  Those are both way too high.  Myers for 7 or less is great for us.  

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The results so far have supported one side of the argument. Benning has already had to cut ties with (trade away or buyout) several players that he brought in that apologists argued were good moves from the start. If one is going to argue that those mistakes "don't matter in the grand scheme" of things then Benning is truly infallible, which is quite the description for someone who has led the team to the record we have so far under his watch. 

We'll see what happens.

Results so far?  Please - get real.  He won't be judged on the results 'so far'.  

If you expected all players to work here, you've never paid real attention to any NHL team.

Let's hear your prescription, since you know a 'better path".

Just now, Alflives said:

8 for Duchene and 7 for Pavalski are reasonable numbers?  Those are both way too high.  Myers for 7 or less is great for us.  

how is 8m too much or 7m for either of those guys but 7m is fine for Myers who had what 31pts so back the Brinks truck up for the tall friendly giant?

Just now, oldnews said:

Results so far?  Please - get real.  He won't be judged on the results 'so far'.  

If you expected all players to work here, you've never paid real attention to any NHL team.

Let's hear your prescription, since you know a 'better path".

I mean, I could give you a list of all the puzzling moves, I've done it before, but every mistake will be swept aside as inconsequential, bad luck or revisionist. Like I said, infallible. Whether it's people arguing that Sbisa or Gudbranson were actually good targets that didn't work out well, or that all the bad free agent signings "didn't hurt us" because apparently cap doesn't matter to a rebuilding team.

Some see them as "reasons", I see them as excuses. Whether it's what Gillis left him with, or what the owner is saying, or the injuries, or what have you. Everything is spun in a way to take the blame off the guy who's making all the moves. I don't buy it.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

how is 8m too much or 7m for either of those guys but 7m is fine for Myers who had what 31pts so back the Brinks truck up for the tall friendly giant?

We know Duchene’s issues.  Joe P. Is a great leader, but he’s old, and often injured now.  

Myers is a quality top four D man, who can eat minutes, and put up points.  7 is a great deal for him. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I mean, I could give you a list of all the puzzling moves, I've done it before, but every mistake will be swept aside as inconsequential, bad luck or revisionist. Like I said, infallible. Whether it's people arguing that Sbisa or Gudbranson were actually good targets that didn't work out well, or that all the bad free agent signings "didn't hurt us" because apparently cap doesn't matter to a rebuilding team.

Some see them as "reasons", I see them as excuses. Whether it's what Gillis left him with, or what the owner is saying, or the injuries, or what have you. Everything is spun in a way to take the blame off the guy who's making all the moves. I don't buy it.

Regardless of the path, JB has built us a great young core, and is now supporting them with the right pieces for those young guys to excel.  Add to that we have a lot of top prospects coming up.  

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yawn. 

I asked for your prescription -what you would do -since you know better.

I wouldn't have traded picks and prospects for age gap players and I would have used all the free cap space to acquire cap dumps with sweeteners instead of signing our own buyout candidate free agents.

IMO just these two things would have put us in a much, much better position than we are today had it started from day 1, right from the Kesler trade. In a position where our D isn't in complete shambles with almost no additional assets in the organization available to fix it.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

As long as the price isn’t above 7 per I will be happy. We have a lot of money coming off the books in the next couple aswell with the cap jumping up that 7 mill won’t be terrible for a player of Myers caliber. Faulk in 2020 is next on my list of long shots.