The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which forwards will be back for 2019-20 season?

Rate this topic

Rush17

Miller - EP - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Gaudette

MacEwen

Get rid of LE And Granlund by all means possible. Would like to get rid of Baer/Goldy as well but their value might be too low to trade so I wouldn’t mind keeping one of them for depth. Spooner can go too if we can’t afford him.

8 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

Miller - EP - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Gaudette

MacEwen

Get rid of LE And Granlund by all means possible. Would like to get rid of Baer/Goldy as well but their value might be too low to trade so I wouldn’t mind keeping one of them for depth. Spooner can go too if we can’t afford him.

If Baertschi is healthy hes a 2nd line player. I hope he can finally have some luck on his side this year. I've always liked Sven

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brovat said:

True. Hopefully it’s just all natural progression and he starts putting up some points. 

Virt has the tools to be top 6. It's not like he lacks the ability to get there.  He's learning and the challenge is he's learning slowly. But. Give him some  gritty tough forwards to follow like JT Miller and watch him grow up. He is about to turn the corner. Hope JB hangs on one more year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Virt has the tools to be top 6. It's not like he lacks the ability to get there.  He's learning and the challenge is he's learning slowly. But. Give him some  gritty tough forwards to follow like JT Miller and watch him grow up. He is about to turn the corner. Hope JB hangs on one more year. 

I have zero issues with Jake. I’d love for him and the teams sake to see some good numbers out of him. I think he’s worked hard and deserves some pay off.

4 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

Don't know what games you see but he's a perimeter player most of the time and brings no grit to the game whatsoever. 

Going to the tough areas to fight for pucks and score is "grit".   It isn't grit like hitting or such but it is grit.   He is far from a perimeter player.    Far, far from a perimeter player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Going to the tough areas to fight for pucks and score is "grit".   It isn't grit like hitting or such but it is grit.   He is far from a perimeter player.    Far, far from a perimeter player.

There are many words in the English language to describe Baer’s game.

IMO, Grit, isn’t one of them. 

Gritty at times, perhaps, sure, but gritty as in a style of play? Nahhh. 

I think it’s more accurate to view him as a perimeter player than a gritty winger. 

Regardless, Zepp, is that Knight kid the real deal or is it the hype of a man child goaltending prospect?

Also, would you package Demko to pry Bouchard out of Edmonton? How does Demko project? You’re the goalie expert...

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sven? fight for a puck? when have you seen this? pls show me

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

There are many words in the English language to describe Baer’s game.

IMO, Grit, isn’t one of them. 

Gritty at times, perhaps, sure, but gritty as in a style of play? Nahhh. 

I think it’s more accurate to view him as a perimeter player than a gritty winger. 

Regardless, Zepp, is that Knight kid the real deal or is it the hype of a man child goaltending prospect?

Also, would you package Demko to pry Bouchard out of Edmonton? How does Demko project? You’re the goalie expert...

If I was a goalie "expert" I would have a better resume from playing and would have job like Ian Clark.     I digress however.

Knight is intriguing.   Mentally strongest net prospect I have ever seen at that age.   So happy Panthers grabbed him as he projects incredibly well.    For his size he is lightning quick laterally but the most impressive thing about him in my mind is he already has pro rebound control and has figured out the importance of angles with stick/pads/gloves in a way that most don't do in their pre-pro portion of their career.    Of course no-one is a lock most certainly not an 18 year old goalie prospect (Rick D says hi), but when you combine his size, speed, natural instincts and mental presence he is as close to the perfect goalie prospect as you can have.   I look for him to challenge Demko's Boston College rookie marks (which were insane) and even exceed them and if you don't recall, Demko was seen at that point as a revelation.

Speaking of Demko, I am not sure I would trade him right now.   He has shown all the signs of being what people have said he would be at each step of his career.    Ian Clark is a revelation as well and I could see Demko emerging as the most important piece of Vancouver's youth puzzle in that a franchise goalie plays all 60 minutes and not just 22 or so for a franchise Cman.   

Finally, Bouchard.   I am on the record and remain there on this kid.   I think he is an outstanding (dominant) player at CHL level on NHL sized ice.   On international ice he was challenged and in NHL I hope he adjusts (by all accounts a great kid) but while he will put up points, I am not sure he is going to be a true NHL standout as his mobility (which was exposed badly at the WJC earlier this year) isn't something that often improves with big Dmen.    Put it this way, IF the Canucks had not taken Hughes and he and Dobson were both there, if I were Vancouver GM (and you will be happy I am not.....), I would have taken Dobson.    

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

Sven? fight for a puck? when have you seen this? pls show me

LOL.   You don't even watch the team do you.   Here is some random stuff (I am too lazy to dig for someone being so obtuse).   Simply go to the last goal in the bunch for but one example.   They guy rarely scores a goal from more than 10 feet from the goal line - lots of that due to winning puck battles.   Great on the boards too.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL.   You don't even watch the team do you.   Here is some random stuff (I am too lazy to dig for someone being so obtuse).   Simply go to the last goal in the bunch for but one example.   They guy rarely scores a goal from more than 10 feet from the goal line - lots of that due to winning puck battles.   Great on the boards too.

Baer is a legitimate top 6 LW, by the stats and eye test. i don't know how anyone can reasonably say any different. 

My worry with Baer is health. In order to play the way he has to I really worry that he's going to get his bell rung again and thats a scary thing for his life, forget hockey. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Baer is a legitimate top 6 LW, by the stats and eye test. i don't know how anyone can reasonably say any different. 

My worry with Baer is health. In order to play the way he has to I really worry that he's going to get his bell rung again and thats a scary thing for his life, forget hockey. 

Baer needs to keep the bell from being rung for sure but the one thing with him, his injuries have been fluky (one was a BS dirty play) and that at least bodes well in that he isn't a guy who gets injured routinely from plays that don't injure other guys (no one can skate away from a blindside elbow to the head).    He is far more talented than many seem to realize in CDC land and very 200 foot responsible.   If he gets in 75 games or so this year, can see him setting career highs in all key O categories and perhaps even hitting 30 goals.    

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Baer needs to keep the bell from being rung for sure but the one thing with him, his injuries have been fluky (one was a BS dirty play) and that at least bodes well in that he isn't a guy who gets injured routinely from plays that don't injure other guys (no one can skate away from a blindside elbow to the head).    He is far more talented than many seem to realize in CDC land and very 200 foot responsible.   If he gets in 75 games or so this year, can see him setting career highs in all key O categories and perhaps even hitting 30 goals.    

I think its the folks that really really wanted that 2nd round pick instead. 

• Haha 3