The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Eriksson

Rate this topic

koregen

It's a bad situation with no easy way out. Truth is that the only guy to blame for the situation is Eriksson. I was excited that we signed him because he looked like a player that played hard, worked hard and contributed on a nightly basis. Sadly, as soon as he inked the contract he looked at it as a retirement package. He stopped trying he stopped skating despite given many opportunities to succeed in a top 6 role.

I mostly saw a player that was completely uninterested in taking risk or playing aggressive physical hockey. It seemed that most of the time he was just playing hot potato with the puck trying to hand it off to someone else to do the real work.

That being said he has been a very solid and reliable 3rd/4th line player for us.

His recent comments in Sweden in regards to not being given opportunities by the coach is BS. This tells me he is perhaps ready to come out of retirement and start playing hockey again. I would like to see this effort in a Canucks jersey, because we sure as heck paid him enough to show some effort.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui will collect his July first bonus of 3 mil.  He won’t report to camp.  Opening night the Canucks will put him on waivers.  Loui will clear waivers.  Canucks will unilaterally terminate Loui’s contract.  Canucks get the 6 million off their cap.  After that, we forget about this guy. 

I wouldn't hate that outcome... but unlikely he will break contract and loose out on millions.

• Upvote 1

Ahh eriksson...

In response to your first point, i would suggest that some of that blame must be put on green who is most certainly mis-using loui in a almost pure defensive role. however I too notice a lack of interest/intensity. He was never a fast skater so you cant look at that as a regression.

There isnt much point fighting or taking risks personally while you have a retirement contract on a rebuilding team, wait til they are good and then risk your body and career.

I think the comments he made in sweden need to be taken in context and also with a grain of salt, i think hes likely frustrated and i too hope he shows some more intensity.

Failing any of that, his contract will be over in a couple years, maybe we can trade him with cap retention.

• Wat 1

I'm also not a huge fan of the rumored Lucic-Eriksson swap although if it happens it doesn't really change much aside from the fact I'd much rather have Eriksson on our 3rd/4th line with the potential that he starts playing hockey again versus slow Lucic that had no interest in playing for his hometown when both of those contracts got signed.

That being said perhaps both players do just need a fresh start somewhere else...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, koregen said:

I wouldn't hate that outcome... but unlikely he will break contract and loose out on millions.

Just now, EP-40 said:

Loui isnt going to leave 9 million dollars behind just because he and the coach dont get on.

Loui is a proud guy.  That’s clear from his recent comments (excuses) for his low production.  He’s not going to play in the AHL.  He will mutually terminate his contract even before we put him on waivers.  This is about him saving face.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is a proud guy.  That’s clear from his recent comments (excuses) for his low production.  He’s not going to play in the AHL.  He will mutually terminate his contract even before we put him on waivers.  This is about him saving face.  

ill bet you 100 dollars he does not mutually terminate his contract with the canucks at any point during the '19/'20 season or before.

He is getting hungry again and starting to think about what happens when his contract expires, it's definitely time to put on the work boots again and start working. I'm quite sure he wants another contract after this one finishes but to get it he knows he has to start playing hockey again.

• Haha 1

Just now, koregen said:

He is getting hungry again and starting to think about what happens when his contract expires, it's definitely time to put on the work boots again and start working. I'm quite sure he wants another contract after this one finishes but to get it he knows he has to start playing hockey again.

He won't get one anywhere. He has 3 more years left in the NHL, and they will be awful, and then he will go home to play in Sweden.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EP-40 said:

ill bet you 100 dollars he does not mutually terminate his contract with the canucks at any point during the '19/'20 season or before.

You must be young.

Supporting one’s opinion with bravado doesn’t make that opinion more valued.

Loui is a proud guy.  He’s not going to ride buses in the AHL.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You must be young.

Supporting one’s opinion with bravado doesn’t make that opinion more valued.

Loui is a proud guy.  He’s not going to ride buses in the AHL.  

You can accept or decline the bet, its up to you. If you'd like we can bet for something less financial, regardless, i stand by my statement and back it up with action. For the record I am not "young" though i may be younger than you.

1 minute ago, EP-40 said:

You can accept or decline the bet, its up to you. If you'd like we can bet for something less financial, regardless, i stand by my statement and back it up with action. For the record I am not "young" though i may be younger than you.

Alf is completely right. No way Loui is riding a bus in the minors.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the narrative about loui is becoming astonishing in my view

he has played for this team for 3 years and by all accounts fit in fine in the dressing room

i know of no previous dissension or other negative things about loui

he gives one interview that is a bit off

it may be entirely an accurate reflection of what he felt and said

but i do suspect that is less then true given it was in another language and there is a reasonable chance he mis-spoke a bit in what he said

now people are saying he is bad for the team ?

that he will not report to camp?

termination is an option?

wow .... an extremely giant leap has been made by many it seems

fans can legitimately be unhappy that loui has not performed to his contract value

but i think whatever he has said

is much milder then what lucic has said - he appeared to basically lobby to go to a new team in his talks - which i find much more offensive that whatever loui might have said

and yet there seems to be a lot of sentiment on these boards still to pursue lucic

seems there is a strong double standard at least to be able hold a loui dislike and some favour toward lucic

Well said, Vancouver media has a tendency to blow things out of proportion to get a story that has a reaction usually it's a bad one...

• Upvote 1