The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Eriksson

Rate this topic

koregen

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

It looks like the club has some real fans, good post. 

As I said in another thread, Petey think this situatiin is bad and tried to up Loui in the games together for Sweden.

When Petey feels bad for Loui it's a damn shame so called fans mess with our players like they do.

Let Green and Loui solve this like men. 

Real fans? Ha 

loui has been a disappointment since day one.....his done what a lot of guys do sign big deals and disappear...he wanted to float by and in a Canadian market that doesn't happen....petey feels bad cause Loui couldn't find his game in the lost and found box.....

deal with it like real men? Like parking lot? Green would destroy  him ha I would pay to watch that though

I am be way off here but I still think something was lost in the translation  from Swedish to English.  I simply can not see LE making those kinds of statements to the media even if he thought them. It just does not sit right with me.

I agree totally in that the minors is not the place for LE - there has to be a better option.  And  hopefully it is Not a Lucic swap either.  Somewhere I read something about Louie moving his family back to Dallas - maybe something is in the works with the Stars

LE was brought in to play with Hank and Danny - that did not fly long - for whatever reason. He has played a different role on this team and his scoring has slipped - but look at his goals when compared to Sutter - Beagle - Granny - all the others that have been utilized in a defensive role.  Yes the Canucks overpaid  on his contract but if he was being paid 3-4m we wouldn't be so disappointed with his performance

We get to wait and see what happens

Honestly Eriksson has one hell of a mind for hockey if he were to stay I would not mind one bit. Dont understand the anti Sutter talk either, i love the guys compete level every single night. I want to see Lievo and Granlund and the like gone not those big character guys. 

4 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

I am be way off here but I still think something was lost in the translation  from Swedish to English.  I simply can not see LE making those kinds of statements to the media even if he thought them. It just does not sit right with me.

I agree totally in that the minors is not the place for LE - there has to be a better option.  And  hopefully it is Not a Lucic swap either.  Somewhere I read something about Louie moving his family back to Dallas - maybe something is in the works with the Stars

LE was brought in to play with Hank and Danny - that did not fly long - for whatever reason. He has played a different role on this team and his scoring has slipped - but look at his goals when compared to Sutter - Beagle - Granny - all the others that have been utilized in a defensive role.  Yes the Canucks overpaid  on his contract but if he was being paid 3-4m we wouldn't be so disappointed with his performance

We get to wait and see what happens

Maybe Benn for Loui :bigblush:

8 hours ago, koregen said:

I'm also not a huge fan of the rumored Lucic-Eriksson swap although if it happens it doesn't really change much aside from the fact I'd much rather have Eriksson on our 3rd/4th line with the potential that he starts playing hockey again versus slow Lucic that had no interest in playing for his hometown when both of those contracts got signed.

That being said perhaps both players do just need a fresh start somewhere else...

Lucic had a lot of interest in playing for his hometown but Edmonton offered more years AND money!  

Players go wherever they are wanted the most, and Edmonton was head and shoulders ahead of any other team in courting Milan. 

8 hours ago, koregen said:

It's a bad situation with no easy way out. Truth is that the only guy to blame for the situation is Eriksson. I was excited that we signed him because he looked like a player that played hard, worked hard and contributed on a nightly basis. Sadly, as soon as he inked the contract he looked at it as a retirement package. He stopped trying he stopped skating despite given many opportunities to succeed in a top 6 role.

I mostly saw a player that was completely uninterested in taking risk or playing aggressive physical hockey. It seemed that most of the time he was just playing hot potato with the puck trying to hand it off to someone else to do the real work.

That being said he has been a very solid and reliable 3rd/4th line player for us.

His recent comments in Sweden in regards to not being given opportunities by the coach is BS. This tells me he is perhaps ready to come out of retirement and start playing hockey again. I would like to see this effort in a Canucks jersey, because we sure as heck paid him enough to show some effort.

I agree with you to a point.

I don't think he 'stopped skating'  or 'stopped trying' - but I do think he lost a step, had some injuries, lost some timing and momentum - had a few flashes where he looked like the 'real' LE might be back, but then those were followed with inconsistency and never managed to gain some momentum.

I don't think he's the 'disinterested' type player - I think he stays fit, works hard and did stay engaged on the ice for this team - for me the principal sign of packing it in comes when a player doesn't do their job without the puck, and I think LE has remained a hard working, reliable defensive forward - he just hasn't clicked with the players he's played with offensively.  Maybe it's not so much Green not providing him with opportunities as it is the opportunities not really coming - LE not really creating enough offensive opportunity for himself, and in part playing on depleted rosters with key injuries to players in addition to himself, on a fairly regular basis.  At times lots of players on this team haven't had a whole lot of opportunities (part of a 'transition').

I don't know the exact translations or context of what he said - it sounds like he called into question his deployment by Green, or at least commented on it in a way that may or may not have been misinterpreted, but it's unfortunate.  

Not really much point in assigning blame - to LE, Green or the hockey gods - it has just not worked out thus far.   That said,  who  knows how moveable he will be - there is a limit to what I'd spend to move that contract - so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he should be expected to come back and work hard to earn a spot contributing in the lineup.  If he can't be moved reasonably, and bridges have actually been burned....it would be unfortunate if they have to waive him (he's not an AHL asset, but...)

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know it’s not a good feeling for a once NHL star to end up in the minors.  I’m asking if you think Loui would rather mutually terminate his contract than suffer the embarrassment of playing in the AHL?  In my view Loui would refuse to play in the minors. 

You seem to know the Swedish players really well.  What do you think Loui would do in this circumstance?  

Embarrassment? 

Loui gets paid and will work for the money. What's embarressing for him? 

It's embarressing for Green to put a player that is good in bottom six in minors just to cover for his own wrongdoing.

• Wat 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sadly it may be the only thing we can do. 

The options are in order of likelihood imo:

1. Uitca

2. 50% retained salary deal

3. Mutual termination on July 2nd.

Loui at 3 mil cap hit / 1.5 mil real salary is a heck of a good player for cheap for the right team, but I think GMs smell blood and will want at minimum a 2nd rounder or a-prospect to take him, even at that price. Hence, Utica. 

Wich means that Benning and Green can show some strenght and solve this with Loui still on the rooster. 

Do you think Benning and Green are weak as leaders? 

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Real fans? Ha 

loui has been a disappointment since day one.....his done what a lot of guys do sign big deals and disappear...he wanted to float by and in a Canadian market that doesn't happen....petey feels bad cause Loui couldn't find his game in the lost and found box.....

deal with it like real men? Like parking lot? Green would destroy  him ha I would pay to watch that though

Well, I've not seen fans talk about him not being good in the role Green put him in. But now, after the misunderstanding about the interview, some fans are out to take him down in any way they can. It's not only money that's the issue now. 

If Loui goes it only shows that Benning and Green are weak and care more about how they look in some fans view. Fans like you... Minors? 

When Loui played with Horvat and Pearson he managed to create space for them as the intelligent player he is. But it seems as it goes unnoticed because fans focus on Pearsons goals.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought Timra fan could shed light on the way Loui might be thinking.  Is three years of riding buses, and the loss of face back home, worth 9 million to him?  I obviously don’t know Loui, but he seems (from his recent comments) that he’s extremely proud of being a top NHL player.  

As a swede he will dig his heels down and do the best he can wherever he plays. As he said in the interview. So he is humble instead of proud. Intelligent, so he knows when Green plays him out of character, not proud. You should try to understand what a coach do. 

Just look at Gudbransen. The way Green played the game Gud was - 27. After 19 games in Pittsburgh he is +7.

If you look at the stats Green used Gud in a very bad way. 

The constant changing of lines Green did isn't good coaching. It often takes some time for players to blend together.

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I've not seen fans talk about him not being good in the role Green put him in. But now, after the misunderstanding about the interview, some fans are out to take him down in any way they can. It's not only money that's the issue now. 

If Loui goes it only shows that Benning and Green are weak and care more about how they look in some fans view. Fans like you... Minors? 

When Loui played with Horvat and Pearson he managed to create space for them as the intelligent player he is. But it seems as it goes unnoticed because fans focus on Pearsons goals.

Banning and Green weak?....Green went out of his way to stand up for him this pasted season so I'll call your B.S right there and it's been rumored that Loui hasn't been happy for awhile and instead of putting his head down and working hard....he doesn't show up....I've watched more games where he was invisible and he doesn't deserve playing with Bo cause there's guys puttin in the work to get there but you feel they should just let him ride shot gun with bo when he hasn't earned it.....it's pretty sad when noodles and O'neal on tsn call you out about you not showing up or putting in the work...the way he plays right now is embarrassment to swedes that worked there @$$ off to play in the nhl and to stay in the nhl. 

i wish I was drinking what your drinking while you watch him play ,must be some pretty strong stuff.....ha 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Banning and Green weak?....Green went out of his way to stand up for him this pasted season so I'll call your B.S right there and it's been rumored that Loui hasn't been happy for awhile and instead of putting his head down and working hard....he doesn't show up....I've watched more games where he was invisible and he doesn't deserve playing with Bo cause there's guys puttin in the work to get there but you feel they should just let him ride shot gun with bo when he hasn't earned it.....it's pretty sad when noodles and O'neal on tsn call you out about you not showing up or putting in the work...the way he plays right now is embarrassment to swedes that worked there @$$ off to play in the nhl and to stay in the nhl. 

i wish I was drinking what your drinking while you watch him play ,must be some pretty strong stuff.....ha 

So if Loui creates space for Horvat it`s Loui riding shotgun? I thought pearson and Horvat got more space to produce points. 

Benning and Green is weak if they listen to fans like you. Very simple... You should listen more to Green when he use him defensively of a reason. 

Do we have so many players on the rooster better than Loui defensively? 

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So if Loui creates space for Horvat it`s Loui riding shotgun? I thought pearson and Horvat got more space to produce points. 

Benning and Green is weak if they listen to fans like you. Very simple... You should listen more to Green when he use him defensively of a reason. 

Do we have so many players on the rooster better than Loui defensively? 

I'm sorry but Green has better options then loui....rooster and jake come to mind....you could put anyone with Bo and they would get points ha Bo proved that this pasted season....

ha Jim and Green don't listen to fans like me or any fan....if they did Loui would have been gone last season in my books.....

ha his good at D that's all he can do now adays lol  wasn't he brought in to score goals? Ha two head coachs saw what most fans see that he doesn't show up often and doesn't deserve top lines duties.....

funny how you call Green weak and then use him to prop Loui up....better forwards at D ha rooster and granny to name two off the top of my head.....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Loui will collect his July first bonus of 3 mil.  He won’t report to camp.  Opening night the Canucks will put him on waivers.  Loui will clear waivers.  Canucks will unilaterally terminate Loui’s contract.  Canucks get the 6 million off their cap.  After that, we forget about this guy. 

If we can't find a trade for him, this is the best case scenario.

• Upvote 1