The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander, does this 2nd round pick scream potential?

Rate this topic

koregen

Might be a bit hyperbolic there, but I think he's a very solid pick and in a couple years in a re-draft, would easily go in the later half of the 1st round.

He's got silky smooth hands and despite his smaller stature (stature, not frame, dude is 18yrs old, 5'9 and 190lbs, he's solid) plays a feisty game. He somewhat reminds me of Brenden Gallagher, I could maybe see that being his top upside as well, top six, 60-ish point in your face winger.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Quinn_Jet said:

Might be a bit hyperbolic there, but I think he's a very solid pick and in a couple years in a re-draft, would easily go in the later half of the 1st round.

He's got silky smooth hands and despite his smaller stature (stature, not frame, dude is 18yrs old, 5'9 and 190lbs, he's solid) plays a feisty game. He somewhat reminds me of Brenden Gallagher, I could maybe see that being his top upside as well, top six, 60-ish point in your face winger.

I know very little about him.  Does he have some “rat” in his game?  That lacrosse like goal he scored would sure piss off the other team.  

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know very little about him.  Does he have some “rat” in his game?  That lacrosse like goal he scored would sure piss off the other team.  

Hmm, not sure if I'd call him "ratty", but, if Podkolzin is our potential pit-bull, Hoglander is also our potential pest with skill.

• Upvote 2

I can understand why JB and co were thrilled to get him where they did.

He was ranked in the first round on several reputable lists:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

If he eventually develops into that first rounder that people thought he was, it'll make up for losing that pick to TB - which would make me very, very happy! 

• Upvote 2

Dude put up 14 points in 50 games in the SHL this past season. The fact that he's already playing in the 3rd best league in the world with men and holding his ground tells me that there's a ton of potential with this kid. If he can put up good numbers in his next season (say a .5 PPG average or better), I could see him taking the Pettersson route and trying out for the team next season. Obviously I'm not expecting him to do what Petey did, but still, I love this pick and think he can challenge for a spot sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Quinn_Jet said:

He definitely looks like he has a bit of bite to his game with stick and puck that could be most compared to a yoyo. What a steal at #40!

love this quote, "I said something I’ll say again: puck-handling is one of the most essential tools an effective forward can have. It’s the one thing an opponent can’t reliably anticipate, and thus can’t defend against consistently".