The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander, does this 2nd round pick scream potential?

Rate this topic

koregen

I rarely post but I am absolutely enamoured by this player.  He broke numerous ankles like Pettey does and made a bunch of players fall in those videos. 

If Johnny Hockey can play in the NHL so can Nils. I predict he will be on Pettersson's level athletically. Maybe he doesn't have the shot etc but if there's a player who can keep up Hoglander is one of them. He also reminds me of this play:

A+ pick Benning. I absolutely can't wait to see this guy skate circles around players.

Mix in some size and grit with the smallish players like him and Hughes and we could be dangerous. 

Edited by Eli4sPetterss0n
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Time for the big question 

Why did he drop to 40?

Why did Boeser, Petterson and Hughes drop? I have no idea but i'm glad JB was smart enough to snatch them up. Heck Boeser was drafted #25, were there 24 players better then Boeser in that draft? to answer your question with another question.

Edited by koregen

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why did he drop to 40?

5'9

Same reason Caufield fell to 15, height/size, though in Hoglander's case, it's just height as he has a very solid frame.

Add 2-3 inches to both of these players and Caufield is a top 10 pick and Hoglander goes somewhere in the last 10 picks in 1st round.

Edited by Quinn_Jet
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, just look at this from afar ... beyond Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes ... with Hoglander now in the system ...

Virtanen

Demko

Tryamkin

Gaudette

Brisebois

Juolevi

Lockwood

DiPietro

Gadjovich 

Rathbone

Lind

Madden

Woo

Keppen

Hoglander

Kodpolzin

It's getting harder to justify the negativity!

Are you kidding me.  There will always be negativity in this market. We won't be happy until this team wins the Presidents trophy, Stanley Cup, Grey Cup, Superbowl and US presidential election. So there!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If Johnny hockey can cut it in this league then who’s to say Hoglander can’t. The kid is only 18 he may still grow an inch or two. But nevertheless, with Podkolzin and Hoglander I’m giving GMJB an A+ through the first two rounds. 

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why did he drop to 40?

Because one man's meat is another man's poison(fwiw).

edit: But yeah..very excited about this kid too. If Boeser can learn to uni-juggle, we have a WHOLE F***ing line comin' at U like this, eh?!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, just look at this from afar ... beyond Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes ... with Hoglander now in the system ...

Virtanen

Demko

Tryamkin

Gaudette

Brisebois

Juolevi

Lockwood

DiPietro

Gadjovich 

Rathbone

Lind

Madden

Woo

Keppen

Hoglander

Kodpolzin

It's getting harder to justify the negativity!

Looks like a bunch of cole cassels, gaunce, corrado, and Taylor Ellington types to me. Hardly anything to get premature about.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why did he drop to 40?

I honestly think this years playoffs had a factor. Flames Johnny Hockey disappearing may of scared GMs from smaller guys. I love the direction Canucks are heading I see a little bit of everything and tons of Character in the young guys. 

I really like this Hog kid he’s so skilled and doesn’t give up on any plays. I’m amazed at how much hockey has evolved over the years theses new kids got so much skill it’s mind boggling. i watched the highlight reel and it’s awesome but it didn’t show his defensive skills, but it’s obvious not even seeing his defensive game that Hoglander is probably like EP40 back checking hard and solid in his own end.

Edited by HockeyHarry

Interesting pick... Glad that we took Vasily and traded for Miller. These picks should hopefully ensure there's room for players like Hoglander, who despite being 5'9 comes in at a healthy 189lbs.... and very fit.

Could be a great fit on the top two lines...

Another player from this draft I was surprised was around at our pick. I had Pod at 6 and this guy as a late 1st. He's not huge but it's not about the size of the dog. He is a tad older, with the late 2000 birthday but still a great pick imo. Sounds like he's not the best skater but has silky soft hands. When you are smaller you gotta be aggressive, fast and/or illusive. Sounds like he somewhat checks two of these boxes at a high level. Could be a great linemate with Bo one day.

Buddy sent me an instagram video of the kids workouts, they looked intense. 

Just watch to the end.  No need to question the guys dedication to getting stronger I don't think.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why did he drop to 40?

There were other options available that teams were more interested in.  Seven guys were displaced from the first round for starters and teams ahead of us ate up most of those guys, heck some lucky duck got a fifty plus goal scorer in the CHL as a 17 year old...also there were other good D options still available, including the one Vegas took just after us a Vlasic etc.   So what I’m saying is he was a good pick and yes on some lists he was supposed to go in the late first round, but there was still a good number of guys we could have picked too that we’d be talking about instead.

His size is not at all an issue IMO, he’s built like a little tank, hes almost a year older then some and is already playing in the second or third best league in the world and went from 7-14 minutes over that time.  He’s a solid pick, has energy player written all over him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

This looks like a great pick and a match with Petey. Exactly the player Petey can be creative with. The third on the line should be a more physical player and why not Virtanen. 

He won’t play on the first line unless he develops a lot more then we could hope for...second line is likely his ceiling, his floor is also high ... good chance he has an NHL career in his future.  If he’s a first liner (not saying it’s not possible, just not likely) then what a steal.   I also don’t see this guy taking long before he makes an appearance, one year of development maybe two tops.   Because he’s already got an NHL physique/fitness level, just needs more time ... which he will get.

Think he could end up as a third line energy player that gets his points...maybe in his prime a second liner.  Our LW went from looking weak (like a lot of teams), to very hopeful over the draft weekend - assuming JT Miller plays there OR even centres the first line and EP moves back...