The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander, does this 2nd round pick scream potential?

Rate this topic

koregen

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There were other options available that teams were more interested in.  Seven guys were displaced from the first round for starters and teams ahead of us ate up most of those guys, heck some lucky duck got a fifty plus goal scorer in the CHL as a 17 year old...also there were other good D options still available, including the one Vegas took just after us a Vlasic etc.   So what I’m saying is he was a good pick and yes on some lists he was supposed to go in the late first round, but there was still a good number of guys we could have picked too that we’d be talking about instead.

His size is not at all an issue IMO, he’s built like a little tank, hes almost a year older then some and is already playing in the second or third best league in the world and went from 7-14 minutes over that time.  He’s a solid pick, has energy player written all over him.

It seems we picked a kid not long ago with his size and where is he? (Palmu) another comes to mind JS, so lets not celebrate too loud and anoint this kid the next Johnny Hockey. a 6 foot 3  right shooting D man would have been my choice.

Edited by vannuck59
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

This looks like a great pick and a match with Petey. Exactly the player Petey can be creative with. The third on the line should be a more physical player and why not Virtanen. 

Probably because he isn’t very smart or good and looked terrible with EP the times that they have played together.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Probably because he isn’t very smart or good and looked terrible with EP the times that they have played together.

With a player like Höglander strange things will happen and then a player like Virtanen causing havoc beside them. The defence won't know where to look. Rationa/irrational

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

It seems we picked a kid not long ago with his size and where is he? (Palmu) another comes to mind JS, so lets not celebrate too loud and anoint this kid the next Johnny Hockey. a 6 foot 3  right shooting D man would have been my choice.

Palmu was definitely a few tiers down but I get what your saying.  I was very surprised we didn’t take a defenseman with our second two guys for sure were left with a lot of upside, and large bodies.   Either Benning simply went BPA on his list or they have other plans on our D that hadn’t matetialized yet... ei another trade and or using some cap space for a solid UFA vet(s).  We simply have very little in the system on the right side even with Woo...our left side is probably sorted with Hughes, Hutton, OJ and two or three depth guys.  Maybe he knows Tryamkin is coming back with a lot of certainty (they are keeping in touch) ... 

Absolutely not celebrating at all, in fact was responding to another poster indicating that second line is his ceiling and that his also has a high floor and he won’t likely be playing with EP.  Plus he’s not built like him at all, a little tank is more like it, his fitness and strength are not a weakness.   Weight and strength matters more then height when it comes to hitting etc...Peca comes to mind.  

To me he’s an energy guy with great hands, could add offense as third liner ... maybe Honey Badger would be his ceiling...don’t know where you got Johnny Hockey from this...might as well call him St. Louis, although he’s two inches taller.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Palmu was definitely a few tiers down but I get what your saying.  I was very surprised we didn’t take a defenseman with our second two guys for sure were left with a lot of upside, and large bodies.   Either Benning simply went BPA on his list or they have other plans on our D that hadn’t matetialized yet... ei another trade and or using some cap space for a solid UFA vet(s).  We simply have very little in the system on the right side even with Woo...our left side is probably sorted with Hughes, Hutton, OJ and two or three depth guys.  Maybe he knows Tryamkin is coming back with a lot of certainty (they are keeping in touch) ... 

Absolutely not celebrating at all, in fact was responding to another poster indicating that second line is his ceiling and that his also has a high floor and he won’t likely be playing with EP.  Plus he’s not built like him at all, a little tank is more like it, his fitness and strength are not a weakness.   Weight and strength matters more then height when it comes to hitting etc...Peca comes to mind.  

To me he’s an energy guy with great hands, could add offense as third liner ... maybe Honey Badger would be his ceiling...don’t know where you got Johnny Hockey from this...might as well call him St. Louis, although he’s two inches taller.

Yah good points Johnny Hockey reference was about size and skill not direct comparison anyway Dman was what I wanted at this pick oh well we shall see.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

True enough, Virtanen hasn’t made the best of his rare opportunities.  That said as a fan that’s watched the crap Horvats had on his right side (aside from Boeser), you have to wonder why at this point he hasn’t being given a chance to develop either (in the top six). 

Sure we might get a few more points in the standings ... his gaffes can change games the same way his goals do ... but it’s time to go there anyways.   Time to sink or swim, or even raise his stock for a trade. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pears said:

I think this draft was a B/B+ for sure because of Podkolzin and Hoglander alone. 

Agreed.  Those were very very good picks.  The rest left me a little less impressed with who was available, but Pods and Hog were awesome picks and we were lucky to get them both at their spots.  That will likely be the focus of this draft.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, Glug Datt said:

kid wears 21.. hmm.. 

what to do, what to do.. 

We don't have to do anything but wait.
It was reported last week that Eriksson packed his family up and either moved back to Dallas, or was in the process of doing so.

All Benning has to do is wait for him to fail to report, and he can terminate the contract for breach.
done and done. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:26 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed.  Those were very very good picks.  The rest left me a little less impressed with who was available, but Pods and Hog were awesome picks and we were lucky to get them both at their spots.  That will likely be the focus of this draft.

I love the Keppen pick as well. Not as thrilled with the picks after the top 3 but I can’t really judge. Just would’ve liked to see at least 1 or 2 picks on D. 

• Upvote 1

I like that our first two pics have a real edge to their game but provide plenty of skill as well, we could definitely use some of that on our wings. 

Will be nice to see them come along and develop.  We started last season looking at the amazing depth of wingers going in to Utica and thought that would be their big strength but it crashed and burned and turned into their biggest weakness. 

Benning has a tendency to get a theme in his mind at the draft.  Last year it was all speed and skill, size was immaterial.  This year he seemed to look at St. Louis and say we need power forwards.  This may have just been looking at a team built around Pettey and saying we need power forwards and that is fair.

Benning sound like he certainly tried to move up and that Byram and Zegras were his targets, but I am thrilled with the Pod pick.

Could be a gamer! Time will tell. These young kids need to play against men. That's where you know if they themselves will be men. I am thinking Cole Lind! He hasn't faired well so far but was toughed as a steal!

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, fecklund said:

It was reported last week that Eriksson packed his family up and either moved back to Dallas, or was in the process of doing so.

All Benning has to do is wait for him to fail to report, and he can terminate the contract for breach.
done and done. 

Is this true? Why would he pack up the family and move to DAL when he still has 3 years left on his contract here?

2 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Could be a gamer! Time will tell. These young kids need to play against men. That's where you know if they themselves will be men. I am thinking Cole Lind! He hasn't faired well so far but was toughed as a steal!

The great thing about Hog is that he's already been playing against men. Played 50 games in the SHL last year, recording 7 goals and 7 assists. Not the sexiest stats, but the fact that he's already playing in the third best league in the world and doesn't look out of place is a big reason for optimism. 

Just for some context, Lias Andersson, who the NYR selected 7th overall in 2017, had just come off a season in the SHL in which he recorded 9 goals and 10 assists in 42 games before being drafted, and after one more season in the SHL and a solid season split between the AHL and NHL last year, looks poised to have a breakout season next year. 

Hogs totals from his draft -1 (14 points in 50 games) aren't all that far off the numbers Andersson put off in his draft -1 (19 points in 42 games). I think he could take the same path. Kid has the skill.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:23 AM, fecklund said:

done and done. 

I have a really hard time thinking Eriksson will just decline $18 million just like that and, if he does, he's an idiot in my opinion. lol

I don't think that's going to be all Benning has to do.

Eriksson may have moved his family back to Dallas, but that does not mean he is going back to Dallas. 

He can stay and play next year

He can stay until his bonus is paid and then retire to live in Dallas

He can stay until his bonus is paid and then accept a trade to whom ever needs a cap lift.

On June 23, 2019 at 3:48 PM, Fanuck said:

I can understand why JB and co were thrilled to get him where they did.

He was ranked in the first round on several reputable lists:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

If he eventually develops into that first rounder that people thought he was, it'll make up for losing that pick to TB - which would make me very, very happy! 

Several lists? I counted 11 of the 16 lists on mynhldrafts.com that had him in the first round, some as high as 11th overall. This kid is looking like another absolute steal at 40th overall.