The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Anders Lee to enter UFA period

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I have been pushing for Lee for some time now.  However - to be honest, I did not consider term and his age.  7 year term (which I assume he is looking for) means having him to 36 years old.  Occasionally you get a guy who is *almost* as productive at that age, but it is pretty uncommon. I'd still be interested, but wouldn't want to give him a ntc for any more than maybe 4-5 years so we can trade him once we feel he might be regressing.  Then of course there is the cap issue, but if we move out Eriksson somehow that solves all that... or perhaps we put together a buyout-friendly contract offer.

Lee would do wonders to our top line, and I don't think 60+ points is out of the question at all - while providing a physical presence on Petey's line.  Even at 7m, I think that is a fair deal.

We certainly would no longer have a small forward group which we seem to have had for so many years.

Lee 230

Boeser 210

Horvat 215

Miller 218

Pearson 201

Virtanen 220

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

That might be the best top nine we’ve ever had. Roll a 4th line of Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen and that is an incredible forward group. 

You know what those lines have that we have been missing lately (forever)?  Size and grit.  We have that in spades with that lineup, along with a lot of skill on those first 3 lines, and even an acceptable level of skill on the 4th (for a 4th).

In addition, we aren't even factoring in guys like Madden, Hogs, and all the other 2nd tier prospects we have.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Not gonna happen. 

For that to happen, Loui would be out of the league until the contract expires.  

He wont be doing that. 

We could always threaten to shove him in Utica for the remainder of his contract. It's ugly, sure, but when a player underperforms as badly as he has, runs his mouth overseas, then ignores the GM when he tries to make contact, I'd say it's more than justified.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We certainly would no longer have a small forward group which we seem to have had for so many years.

Lee 230

Boeser 210

Horvat 215

Miller 218

Pearson 201

Virtanen 220

size and skill! dont forget Podkolzin who is already 196 lbs for a 17 yr old 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lee 230

Boeser 210

Horvat 215

Miller 218

Pearson 201

Virtanen 220

Edler 230

Tryamkin 260

Myers 230

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I have been pushing for Lee for some time now.  However - to be honest, I did not consider term and his age.  7 year term (which I assume he is looking for) means having him to 36 years old.  Occasionally you get a guy who is *almost* as productive at that age, but it is pretty uncommon. I'd still be interested, but wouldn't want to give him a ntc for any more than maybe 4-5 years so we can trade him once we feel he might be regressing.  Then of course there is the cap issue, but if we move out Eriksson somehow that solves all that... or perhaps we put together a buyout-friendly contract offer.

Lee would do wonders to our top line, and I don't think 60+ points is out of the question at all - while providing a physical presence on Petey's line.  Even at 7m, I think that is a fair deal.

Agreed on all points. I've really hoped Lee would hit free agency and we'd scoop him up.

Then when I look at Lee in comparison to Miller, I'm not so sure

Would I rather have a free 29 year old UFA with a 7x7?

Or would I rather pay a 1st for a 26 year old with a 4 x 5.4?

Lee has scored more goals in the last few years, but who's to say Miller couldn't blossom as much with Petey as Lee did with Tavares?! Miller had around the same points the last few years even though he's 3 years younger.

Now if we could have both Lee and Miller, cool!

Edited by nzan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

7x$7-7.5million.  The Islanders don’t want to give him term.  We can give him that and the opportunity to play with the Calder Cup winner and a runner up from last year.

The perfect LW complement for Petterson’s line.  One of the best net front guys in the league, big body, knows how to play with high skill guys.  I have been pounding the Anders Lee drum since the trade deadline if there was any chance he moves from the Islanders.

Lee-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Granlund

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Hutton/Juolevi-Colin Miller

Biega-Schenn

... now that would be an offseason to be proud of.  Add Tryamkin, Juolevi, and Woo on D and Podkolzin to the forward group gradually to the mix over the next 1-3 years and we are looking pretty darn good.

You could even add Virtanen to that right now!

I'm assuming you've moved out Tanev, Sutter, Goldobin and Eriksson for Miller, picks and a buyout/cap-dump?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think at this stage Myers is a decent upgrade with more reach, breakout ability, shot and durability.  Would you rather:

Myers at 6.5mil for 6 years plus a second round pick (for Tanev)

or 

Tanev for 5mil for 3 years 

Myers

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dump Eriksson and Sutter.  Heck, get rid of Granlund, Spooner, and Goldy too. Even Baer.  

Lotsa space.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with these players in the coming weeks.  Especially Eriksson .  Getting rid of him could be huge for us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with these players in the coming weeks.  Especially Eriksson .  Getting rid of him could be huge for us. 

I'm more interested in the HOW (as we all know it would be great if he were on another roster.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dump Eriksson and Sutter.  Heck, get rid of Granlund, Spooner, and Goldy too. Even Baer.  

Lotsa space.

hey Jet black Jim here I'm calling to see if you would be interested in any of   Eriksson and Sutter.  Heck Granlund, Spooner, too.............................

Hello?

Helllllllllllllllllllllo?

I think we got disconnected?

The way things are shaping up, I think Jimbo either has or will have something set up for Loui July 1st once his bonus is paid.  Spooner will be out, and maybe even he's worked something out on Sutter.  Capspace will be there, as long as (hoping) they don't blow it on more than one costly UFA dman.  Thinking they likely go with a big$ like Myers and one or two lesser as short-term gap fillers.

Does that mean we could get Lee?  No guarantees, but man does that give us a BIG top-6, with five 200lb'ers:

Miller (218) - Petey (176) - Boeser (208)

Lee (231) - Horvat (218) - Pearson (201)

And we still have Virtanen (225) and Beagle (210), then Roussel (199) and MacEwen (205) on deck.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The less of a skater, 50lbs lighter and not a captain Matt moulson?

No, the 3 time 30G scorer, career high 69, and almost PPG during shortened season Matt Moulson.

Lol, All hail the great captain, who earned his title by lack of better choice!  Great captain, first chance he gets to run away for more money after 1 year, he left a 6’3”, 231lbs shape in the door.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

No, the 3 time 30G scorer, career high 69, and almost PPG during shortened season Matt Moulson.

Lol, All hail the great captain, who earned his title by lack of better choice!  Great captain, first chance he gets to run away for more money after 1 year, he left a 6’3”, 231lbs shape in the door.

Every player that’s seeks free agency is potentially turning their back on a team.

not sure the logic of not signing lee because he wants to leave New York.

maybe he doesn’t want to be a captain?:shock: