Sign in to follow this  
Kanukfanatic

[Speculation] Anders Lee to enter UFA period

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

First season without Tavares, dip in production.  I’d pass.  Kind of reminds me of Matt Moulson.

... the dip in production to only being good enough to be first on his team with 28 goals which would also have tied with Petterson for most goals on our team last season?

 

The huge guy who is one of the best net front presence players in the league?

 

The guy who has proven he has the skill to play with top end centres (If only we had one of those) and able to pot 25-40 goals a season.

 

The guy who is criminally under rated in the league because he plays for a purgatory team that no one cares about?

 

I can see how that would be horrible and unwanted!

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6x6-7 is what I'd do but not a dollar more. I am not a fan of a 7 year deal for him. Turning 29 in July a 7 year deal has it ending with him turning 36. We seen Ladd's regression, I don't see Lee regressing that hard that quick but it's something to worry about. He's been remarkably healthy in his career. 4 of his last 5 seasons played 80-82 games, and that 5th season was a 76 game season. He's a former 40 goal scorer, more likely a 30 goal guy, that crashes and bangs. Perfect fit with Petey and Boeser for opening space up for them to do their magic.

 

With the cap not going up there may not be very many teams to contend with for Lee's services. Especially not a young team on the come up. Vancouver is a good city, with great young talent, and money. Miller deal sends messages to the league and the players the Canucks are looking to make moves for the playoffs and with such a young roster we could be a contender for many years to come. If we can snag one of or even both Nyquist and Lee our forward group is one of the deeper forward groups in the west imo. At the very least we have a playoff caliber top 6

 

Pearson - Bo - Miller          or             Pearson - Bo - Nyquist         or for funsies         Miller - Bo - Nyquist

Lee - Petey - Boeser                          Miller - Petey - Boeser                                        Lee - Petey - Boeser

 

Vote yes on proposition Anders Lee. For the right price.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

6x6-7 is what I'd do but not a dollar more. I am not a fan of a 7 year deal for him. Turning 29 in July a 7 year deal has it ending with him turning 36. We seen Ladd's regression, I don't see Lee regressing that hard that quick but it's something to worry about. He's been remarkably healthy in his career. 4 of his last 5 seasons played 80-82 games, and that 5th season was a 76 game season. He's a former 40 goal scorer, more likely a 30 goal guy, that crashes and bangs. Perfect fit with Petey and Boeser for opening space up for them to do their magic.

 

With the cap not going up there may not be very many teams to contend with for Lee's services. Especially not a young team on the come up. Vancouver is a good city, with great young talent, and money. Miller deal sends messages to the league and the players the Canucks are looking to make moves for the playoffs and with such a young roster we could be a contender for many years to come. If we can snag one of or even both Nyquist and Lee our forward group is one of the deeper forward groups in the west imo. At the very least we have a playoff caliber top 6

 

Pearson - Bo - Miller          or             Pearson - Bo - Nyquist         or for funsies         Miller - Bo - Nyquist

Lee - Petey - Boeser                          Miller - Petey - Boeser                                        Lee - Petey - Boeser

 

Vote yes on proposition Anders Lee. For the right price.

Excellent point about only a handful of teams that could afford him.  Luckily we are one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

First season without Tavares, dip in production.  I’d pass.  Kind of reminds me of Matt Moulson.

Yeah but you will also notice that his defensive game took leaps forward. Barzal also dipped in production (a massive 23 point dip), guess you'd pass on him as well. They had a coaching change, and one that is notorious for having good defensive squads. Went from a -25 with Tavares and whoever their last coach was to a +20 without Tavares and with Trotz. He had a 0.3 Defensive point shares with Tavares and a 2.4 defensive point shares without. Lee's 11 point drop for a massive turnaround in goals against I'd say is well worth it. He is still good for 20-30 goals while being tough on defenders and opening ice for his linemates. On top of bringing in leadership.

 

Sure there is a chance his numbers drop off like others but there are chances everyone's numbers can drop off. The risk you take with players. By this metric we shouldn't target anyone ever. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We could always threaten to shove him in Utica for the remainder of his contract. It's ugly, sure, but when a player underperforms as badly as he has, runs his mouth overseas, then ignores the GM when he tries to make contact, I'd say it's more than justified.

I agree also scratch him when he down in Utica try to improve the chances of him no showing, then we can terminate the contract.  As far as a precedence it’s sends to other UFAs thinking of signing in Vancouver I don’t mind Because it says this is a retirement home/country club, cash in your last big contract and quit if they do sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great to get him but I'm guessing that if he doesn't re-sign with NY, Minni signs him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Miller (218) - Petey (176) - Boeser (208)

Lee (231) - Horvat (218) - Pearson (201)

Curious - you have Lee on the 2nd.  I had felt his extra size complimented Petey better. And his extra scoring flair (so far) seems to warrant 1st line minutes imo.  Miller may have extra upside.

 

Anyway - your overall message was size.  I will add I still think Schenn might re-sign, and we have guys like Leivo and Biega as backups - who also play a heavier style.  Overall, I am excited to see a team being built which checks virtually all the boxes of a playoff team - and one that seems to be finding its identity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Curious - you have Lee on the 2nd.  I had felt his extra size complimented Petey better. And his extra scoring flair (so far) seems to warrant 1st line minutes imo.  Miller may have extra upside.

 

Anyway - your overall message was size.  I will add I still think Schenn might re-sign, and we have guys like Leivo and Biega as backups - who also play a heavier style.  Overall, I am excited to see a team being built which checks virtually all the boxes of a playoff team - and one that seems to be finding its identity.

Yeah, was no particular order.  Just quite notable how it wasn't long ago that our team seemed really small.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck getting him at under 7.

 

 

Im guessing he’s looking at Hayes money.  That’s why I don’t want him.  Like you say he’s turning  29. That’ll bring him at 36 since mist likely a 7 years deal. Expensive fora 50 pts player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

As far as Tanev goes, I don't think if I want to trade him. If we can acquire a top 4 D in free agency and manage to keep Tanev as well, that's where our D gets upgraded. Shipping out Tanev and signing Myers is only a marginal upgrade IMO. 

Absolutely. Having Myers as well as Stecher with another year of experience and ready for a bigger role, would allow Green to reduce Tanev’s minutes which would likely/hopefully enable him to have a healthier season. 

 

It’s time for us to properly push for a playoff spot and get that winning culture back (I know that sounds so cliche lol), and adding Miller without losing any current roster players, as well as hopefully signing Myers and Lee would very likely make us a playoff team. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Good luck getting him at under 7.

 

 

Im guessing he’s looking at Hayes money.  That’s why I don’t want him.  Like you say he’s turning  29. That’ll bring him at 36 since mist likely a 7 years deal. Expensive fora 50 pts player.

Yeah Hayes got paid way too much and I’m really hoping that payday doesn’t set the tone for free agency this year. 

 

Of course players will be overpaid on July 1st, but possibly the salary cap not going up as high as everyone thought it was going to back when Hayes got paid will help keep prices in check a bit. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I'd rather have Lee at 7-7.5M for 6 years than Miller at 5M and lose our 1st round pick, but this just shows how important cap hits are becoming. We can see how dishing out long term UFA deals are burning teams and handicapping them long term, and if the cost to avoid that is a 1st then so be it. I'd trust JB on this one, he knew there'd be UFAs available.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all for it as long as it’s at a reasonable cap hit and term. Our top 6 would be stacked, a good mix of size, speed, and skill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly didn't think he would hit UFA. I had assumed the Islanders would sign him up before he hits the UFA market.

 

Would be a great addition without having to give up any asset. I'm a bit scared off by the term that we have to give but gotta give term and money to sign a UFA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dump Eriksson and Sutter.  Heck, get rid of Granlund, Spooner, and Goldy too. Even Baer.  

 

Lotsa space.

Make that Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Goldobin.

Sutter is still foundational - when he's on the ice that is.

Granlund is a good utility depth forward - you keep him over Spooner, Schaller and Goldy imo.

 

But as much as people want to compete for Lee on the market (not sure how realistic that is - it's possible, but how probable?) - the question for me is - how importantl, and how much of an upgrade over Pearson would he prove to be?

 

Lee

28 goals, 51 pts

50.5% ozone starts

49.2% corsi

103 hits.51 blocks

2:51 /g powerplay ice time.

Playoffs he had 70% ozone starts, 2/2/4pts, 2 on the powerplay in 8 games.

 

Pearson

9 goals, 12 pts in 19 games playing with Horvat

41.9% ozone starts

48.6% corsi

26 hits , 13 blocks in 19 games = very comparable.

1:39 pp ice time, 1:01 penalty kill.

 

Pearson has a couple years at 3.75 remaining - and expires just at the expansion draft.  Could re-sign him on the end around as with Edler.

 

I say forget Lee at this point - not important enough a potential 'upgrade' (if so at all) - let's see what Pearson does with Horvat - if those two pick up where they left off there really is no point spending concern on that spot in the lineup at this point.

 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat ________(Podkolzin)

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo/Granlund Beagle Motte

 

The question imo is who fills/earns that 2RW spot?

Where does Baertschi play - does he move to the off wing on the 2nd RW - or does Virtanen step up there?  Is Baer moved?  Does Leivo also step up and placehold there? 

LE would be a possibility - if he was here, but it's sounding questionable.   Schaller, Spooner maybe shouldn't be prematurely written off, but at this point imo they're likely on the outside looking in - and likewise with Goldobin. 

 

But I'm not sure Lee is an answer, particularly with Miller now in the mix - or how possible it would be even if they made offers (1 in how many teams?)

 

 

 

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but as much as I would love to have the Canucks sign Lee, I'd have to say that once they traded assets for Miller on draft day, that dream evaporated.  The cap space they have left they will now have to devote to D-men and maybe a slightly lower-priced, skilled forward to complement Horvat and Pearson.  This would be why we're now hearing whispers of the Canucks being interested in Nyquist, if they could still even afford his asking price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid splashing in free agency, it's almost always a mistake because the term will kill you when these 27-30 year old guys want 6-7 year deals. By the midpoint those contracts become albatrosses (which is also why the Miller acquisition despite the high price is valuable as he is on a good deal with excellent term). I don't mind signing depth guys on shorter term deals though - those contracts are way easier to move.

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah but you will also notice that his defensive game took leaps forward. Barzal also dipped in production (a massive 23 point dip), guess you'd pass on him as well. They had a coaching change, and one that is notorious for having good defensive squads. Went from a -25 with Tavares and whoever their last coach was to a +20 without Tavares and with Trotz. He had a 0.3 Defensive point shares with Tavares and a 2.4 defensive point shares without. Lee's 11 point drop for a massive turnaround in goals against I'd say is well worth it. He is still good for 20-30 goals while being tough on defenders and opening ice for his linemates. On top of bringing in leadership.

 

Sure there is a chance his numbers drop off like others but there are chances everyone's numbers can drop off. The risk you take with players. By this metric we shouldn't target anyone ever. Lol.

LOL Barzal's worst career number equals Lee's career high.   One 21 years old, the other 29.  So if you want to make a comparison please choose a better example.

 

You can talk all you want about Lee's defensive game....the fact is the whole team gave up 100 less goal in the season.  That's not all on Lee.  Yes his game might have improve a bit....but these numbers IMO should heavily attributes to the Coach's system and better goaltending over Lee's becoming a Selke nominee.  Which beg the question, once he's out of that system, how will his defensive game look like?

 

 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

... the dip in production to only being good enough to be first on his team with 28 goals which would also have tied with Petterson for most goals on our team last season?

 

The huge guy who is one of the best net front presence players in the league?

 

The guy who has proven he has the skill to play with top end centres (If only we had one of those) and able to pot 25-40 goals a season.

 

The guy who is criminally under rated in the league because he plays for a purgatory team that no one cares about?

 

I can see how that would be horrible and unwanted!

 

 

That is why I compared him to Moulson.  Sometimes these type of player are good because they are playing on a purgatory team, with less spotlight, less pressure and because of the lack of better options in the farm, they get a lot of playing time.

 

 

Honestly,  my intention was not to bash on Lee... I wouldn't mind adding Lee at a reasonable price and I wouldn't commit long-term.   But, I just don't think that he will affordable.    He will be looking at Hayes money which is too much.    IMO he likely will end up being the Ladd, Lucic or Backes of this UFA class, that is why I don't have any interest in him.   Max, I would go would be 4 years, 5.5M tops, but I don't see how he signs under 7M$ and/or 6 years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have loved Lee a couple days ago but with Miller added to Pearson who we already picked up... We've got other fish to fry.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.