Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Gustav Nyquist

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

By about 6 years...the cells of your body actually start dieing faster then they reproduce at around 24. Have a good weekend!!!

LOL well, it's just me and the liquor now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I can just imagine -- Lucic plodding along on the 4th line, 10 min/game trying to get someone to fight him to prove he has a purpose, soaking up $6mil in cap for the next four years.  PLEASE NO.

:picard:

Exactly. Even if Edmonton was to retain 50%, he'd still be a waste of a roster spot. :sick:

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I can just imagine -- Lucic plodding along on the 4th line, 10 min/game trying to get someone to fight him to prove he has a purpose, soaking up $6mil in cap for the next four years.  PLEASE NO.

:picard:

Not even Puljujarvi AND getting rid of Eriksson is worth it.

Edited by zduck14
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pass. With Miller, I think our biggest priority should be defensemen. We could use another winger, but we don't desperately need it anymore.

This may be a wacky idea, but hear me out. Lets target both a top 6 winger AND a d-man :O I know it's wacky and out there but hey, I think I am onto something here. The idea that we need d-men shouldn't instantly take us out of improving all areas of the team. If we walk out of this offseason with only drafting Podkolzin and acquiring Miller and Nyquist it's a hugely successful offseason (for the right dollars on Nyquist). Next summer could see us have a d core of Stecher, Edler, Tanev (hopefully not), Hutton, Tryamkin, Barrie (hometown boy, maybe he pulls a Tavares and comes home), Juolevi and Hughes. With honorable mentions to Schenn, Woo, Brisebois, Sautner Rafferty and a few others that we may snag in College free agency.

 

Preferably we are competitive this season but still walk away with another 10-15 pick in what I hear is a deep draft. Sign up Barrie in the offseason next summer. Tryamkin and possibly Podkolzin come over. Make the playoffs in 2021. Give Tampa the 15-31 pick. And begin our next era of being a playoff team. There are no free agent D-men I am interested in anyway. Myers will want too much and Gardiner is a defensive liability that'll want too much dollar on too much term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I can just imagine -- Lucic plodding along on the 4th line, 10 min/game trying to get someone to fight him to prove he has a purpose, soaking up $6mil in cap for the next four years.  PLEASE NO.

:picard:

You wouldn't wanna have Lucic over Schaller?? Assume no takers other than Oilers for Eriksson... 

Edited by Virtanen#18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Exactly. Even if Edmonton was to retain 50%, he'd still be a waste of a roster spot. :sick:

If what ur saying is true about Lucic, then the Oilers will keep offering us sweeteners to make the swap.

 

I see that Lucic doesn't offer much offense and can't skate well....  but he offers so much size and toughness...  I'm soooooo sick & tired of Eriksson that I demand the swap... Eriksson simply doesn't give a F anymore.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billabong said:

After duchene and panarin he is number 3 on my wish list 

 

Would I do another 6mx6yrs though? I dunno if I’d wanna go down that route again in free agency 

Goose has 1 60 point season in his career. Anything north of 5 is pushing it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You wouldn't wanna have Lucic over Schaller?? Assume no takers other than Oilers for Eriksson... 

Er, NO.

 

Schaller: 1 year $1.9million/cap

Lucic: 4 years $19million salary, $24million cap

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He would be a sneaky good add for our top six.  

 

Wonder what his asking price is.

 

We only have 17 mil and still have to sign Boeser and rest of RFA's  plus a few dman.  Don't think we have enough cap space unless we move bodies out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

If what ur saying is true about Lucic, then the Oilers will keep offering us sweeteners to make the swap.

 

I see that Lucic doesn't offer much offense and can't skate well....  but he offers so much size and toughness...  I'm soooooo sick & tired of Eriksson that I demand the swap... Eriksson simply doesn't give a F anymore.... 

I just think there are other, more effective ways to get rid of Eriksson and his contract. There's bound to be teams that need to get to the cap floor that will take him and his contract after the bonus is paid out. 

 

At the end of the day, he's still an ok 3rd line player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to add Nyquist as long as the term isn’t too long, don’t think he will sign for less than 4 years though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be interested in that. To me it means baerstchi won’t be counted on in the top 6.

 

Miller-EP40-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nyquist

 

Pretty nice looking top 6. 

 

Just scared of the numbers / term in combination with whatever dmen we sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This may be a wacky idea, but hear me out. Lets target both a top 6 winger AND a d-man :O I know it's wacky and out there but hey, I think I am onto something here. The idea that we need d-men shouldn't instantly take us out of improving all areas of the team. If we walk out of this offseason with only drafting Podkolzin and acquiring Miller and Nyquist it's a hugely successful offseason (for the right dollars on Nyquist). Next summer could see us have a d core of Stecher, Edler, Tanev (hopefully not), Hutton, Tryamkin, Barrie (hometown boy, maybe he pulls a Tavares and comes home), Juolevi and Hughes. With honorable mentions to Schenn, Woo, Brisebois, Sautner Rafferty and a few others that we may snag in College free agency.

 

Preferably we are competitive this season but still walk away with another 10-15 pick in what I hear is a deep draft. Sign up Barrie in the offseason next summer. Tryamkin and possibly Podkolzin come over. Make the playoffs in 2021. Give Tampa the 15-31 pick. And begin our next era of being a playoff team. There are no free agent D-men I am interested in anyway. Myers will want too much and Gardiner is a defensive liability that'll want too much dollar on too much term.

IMO, if we acquire Nyquist, we're banking on being a surefire playoff team this year, especially if we get a defenseman too. My concerns are that we could be handcuffed with an extra contract for an older player that we don't badly need. Sure, if Nyquist signs for cheap, I'm all aboard, but sometimes tells me he won't be that cheap. This team is ready to get better and competitive, but I'm wary of trying to force our way into the playoffs with unnecessary contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I’d prefer Nyquist at like 5/5.5 than Ferland at 6.5+ or whatever he wants 

 

Nyquist style of play would complement the duo of bo and Pearson well I think.

 

also like Miller he is durable and stays healthy - pretty important attribute for a Canuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

IMO, if we acquire Nyquist, we're banking on being a surefire playoff team this year, especially if we get a defenseman too. My concerns are that we could be handcuffed with an extra contract for an older player that we don't badly need. Sure, if Nyquist signs for cheap, I'm all aboard, but sometimes tells me he won't be that cheap. This team is ready to get better and competitive, but I'm wary of trying to force our way into the playoffs with unnecessary contracts.

It's not really forcing it. This team last year was close. Injuries hurt us. Imagine if we had Miller and Nyquist last year. Those injuries don't hurt as much and we are likely in the playoffs. We have a core group right now with Bo, Petey, Boeser, Podkolzin Virtanen up front and Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin (next summer) and potentially Woo. It's not like we are buying up a bunch of random free agents to fill the entire roster. We are supplementing the core guys we have with free agents and trades. Which is generally how it goes. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Also, I’d prefer Nyquist at like 5/5.5 than Ferland at 6.5+ or whatever he wants 

 

Nyquist style of play would complement the duo of bo and Pearson well I think.

 

also like Miller he is durable and stays healthy - pretty important attribute for a Canuck.

Nyquist at Miller dollars would be fantastic. But I imagine he asks for somewhere around 6-7. Especially when a guy like Hayes just made bank for 55 points (the first time he ever hit 50 points btw). That contract could be really rough for the market.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’d be interested in that. To me it means baerstchi won’t be counted on in the top 6.

 

Miller-EP40-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nyquist

 

Pretty nice looking top 6. 

 

Just scared of the numbers / term in combination with whatever dmen we sign.

If they planned to have baertschi on the third line (if he gets hurt easier to replace in that role) he could add a scoring element to that line and unfortunately half if not more than half the time a top 6 player will be injured and he would slide in nicely.  Personally I’m hoping the Canucks do not move on from him but there is a lot of other players I’d be happy with them sending out: Sutter, Spooner, Goldobin, Schaller. Unfortunately Probly Tanev too just because those injuries have been killing us. I don’t mind holding Granlund for cheap. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brian42 said:

If they planned to have baertschi on the third line (if he gets hurt easier to replace in that role) he could add a scoring element to that line and unfortunately half if not more than half the time a top 6 player will be injured and he would slide in nicely.  Personally I’m hoping the Canucks do not move on from him but there is a lot of other players I’d be happy with them sending out: Sutter, Spooner, Goldobin, Schaller. Unfortunately Probly Tanev too just because those injuries have been killing us. I don’t mind holding Granlund for cheap. 

I just posted this same thing in another thread. I think Baertschi is a great 3rd liner since he can fill in the top 6 so seamlessly. At the same time, I do think Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen could be a very effective 3rd line that can chip in a decent amount of offense. Sutter and Virtanen need someone to feed them the puck and Baertschi just happens to be very good at that aspect. 

 

On top of that, it pushes guys like Gaudette, Leivo and Roussel (all legit 3rd liners) down to the 4th line creating a very deep playoff caliber lineup.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How much do we save if we buy Spooner out?

SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Vancouver Canucks VAN) CAP HIT (New York Rangers NYR)
2019-20 $4,000,000 $4,000,000 $0 $1,333,333 $1,333,333 $2,666,667 $1,033,333 $300,000
2020-21 $0 $0 $0 $1,333,333 $1,333,333 -$1,333,333 $1,033,333 $300,000
TOTAL $4,000,000 $4,000,000 $0 $2,666,667 $2,666,667 $1,333,333 $2,066,666 (78%) $600,000 (23%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, brian42 said:

If they planned to have baertschi on the third line (if he gets hurt easier to replace in that role) he could add a scoring element to that line and unfortunately half if not more than half the time a top 6 player will be injured and he would slide in nicely.  Personally I’m hoping the Canucks do not move on from him but there is a lot of other players I’d be happy with them sending out: Sutter, Spooner, Goldobin, Schaller. Unfortunately Probly Tanev too just because those injuries have been killing us. I don’t mind holding Granlund for cheap. 

No thanks to Granlund.... sure he quietly works hard for us but we already got Motte and Gaudette for his role. 

 

If we can grab Lucic in place of Eriksson, time to ditch Schaller too... right now he's just a placeholder for Roussel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.