The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Gustav Nyquist

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Pass on Nyqvist he’ll be 30 next year and likely looking for a 6 year deal. If we want another top 6 winger we should be trying to pry Nikita Gusev out from Las Vegas. Come on Benning weaponize that cap space!

Would be great if we could get Miller and Gusev.

Doubt Vegas wants to help a division rival get any better though.

I am sure they will be able to move their cap dumps out east like they did with Haula.

1 hour ago, babalu said:

Would be great if we could get Miller and Gusev.

Doubt Vegas wants to help a division rival get any better though.

I am sure they will be able to move their cap dumps out east like they did with Haula.

Any fan of Vegas says there is no way in hell they get rid of Gusev. I don't know where the rumor or speculation came from, but Gusev is not going anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

What kind of game does this guy play?

I haven't focused on him much, I always thought he was a Mason raymond type of perimeter player but that's mostly based on peoples comments.

Our top 6 is fairly soft as it is.

He would have to be a baerstchi replacement.

if we sign Nyquist I don’t see a spot for Baer in the top 9.

Edited by DeNiro

30 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

What kind of game does this guy play?

I haven't focused on him much, I always thought he was a Mason raymond type of perimeter player but that's mostly based on peoples comments.

Our top 6 is fairly soft as it is.

? Bo's not soft, or Pearson or now Miller. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He would have to be a baerstchi replacement.

if we sign Nyquist I don’t see a spot for Baer in the top 9.

doesn't Nyquist play RW tho? I think Baer would have to be traded for the cap space but they could be on a line together. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

doesn't Nyquist play RW tho? I think Baer would have to be traded for the cap space but they could be on a line together. 

I think they’re looking for more jam in the top 6. Having Baer and Nyquist on one line is too soft.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Nyquist

Thats the way I would see it shaking out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think they’re looking for more jam in the top 6. Having Baer and Nyquist on one line is too soft.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Nyquist

Thats the way I would see it shaking out.

that would be pretty soft 

I like that configuration for the top 6 tho. You can match Horvat with other teams top C and then run out Miller-Petey-Boeser. We might actually score some goals. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be pretty soft 

I like that configuration for the top 6 tho. You can match Horvat with other teams top C and then run out Miller-Petey-Boeser. We might actually score some goals. 

Miller, Pearson and Horvat aren’t soft. They all forecheck hard, take the body, and aren’t afraid to go to the net. That’s not soft.

I wouldn’t even call Petey soft despite his frame. He doesn’t back down.

Only player I would call “soft” in that top 6 is Nyquist.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

? Bo's not soft, or Pearson or now Miller. 

Bo isn't soft, I should have been clearer i suppose.

Bo and Miller, tenacious, not soft.

Petey is elusive but still slight in stature.

Boeser has a heavy shot but doesn't play a heavy game.

Those our are 4 surefire top 6 forwards moving forward.

Pearson/Leivo  if one of them can stick in the top 6 for the whole year and play aggressively that would go a long ways towards our top 6 grit.

Baertschi is soft though, does Nyquist play the same style as Baertschi and how Raymond used to? On the perimeter?

There are some question marks as to who rounds out the top 6, but if 4 of the 6 are softer players... That's an ideal mix.

Nyqvist (30) is going to want money and term. Maybe something in the $6 range? That could be a bit steep. I wonder if his teammate, Donskoi (27), would be a better option? He would want money and term as well, but he's 3 years younger and I think he would be cheaper.  Maybe playing with Horvat elevates his game? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Bo isn't soft, I should have been clearer i suppose.

Bo and Miller, tenacious, not soft.

Petey is elusive but still slight in stature.

Boeser has a heavy shot but doesn't play a heavy game.

Those our are 4 surefire top 6 forwards moving forward.

Pearson/Leivo  if one of them can stick in the top 6 for the whole year and play aggressively that would go a long ways towards our top 6 grit.

Baertschi is soft though, does Nyquist play the same style as Baertschi and how Raymond used to? On the perimeter?

There are some question marks as to who rounds out the top 6, but if 4 of the 6 are softer players... That's an ideal mix.

I think he plays a lot like Baer - from his shot maps he scores more than the league avg in front of the net: https://icydata.hockey/players/1339/gustav-nyquist

Also a good producer on a crap team and has stayed pretty healthy. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah not sure how the cap works out but if it does those are nice additions.

We have about 17.5 mill in cap space now. Assuming 7 mill goes to Boes and 7 mill (ugh) goes to Myers, that leaves us with 3.5 mill. Leivo gets 2, Motte gets 1.5 and the cap space is gone. 

We'd have to make a few moves to drop some significant cap space. We'd have to figure out a way to drop Eriksson and either Sutter or Beagle.