The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck Defense

This is what I am looking at right now, and am wondering about...………..love to hear your thoughts on the subject...……...

Currently Signed  Defense

Edler                                    Tanev

Hughes                                Stecher

Juolevi                                  Biega   

Sautner                                 Woo - (2 years away minimum)

Brisebois

RFA's Un-signed

Hutton                                   Tryamkin - (1 year away minimum)

Targets - RHD Defensemen

Colin Miller             3 yrs @ $3,875,000                     Cost...……..Taking David Clarkson's contract ($5,250,000)

Tyler Myers            5 yrs @ $6,000,000                     Cost...……...UFA signing...…...term

Luke Schenn          2 yrs @ $1,000,000                     Cost...……..UFA signing...……nothing

Anton Stralman      2 yrs @ $4,000,000                     Cost...……...UFA signing...…...term?

In my opinion, we re-sign Hutton on the left side, re-sign Schenn on the right, and go get Colin Miller or sign Myers, and that is about all you can do this year, until possibly the TDL, when you can look at moving both Hutton and Tanev out if so desired...……..

To me that is the most logical and economical moves Benning can do, as Juolevi should be ready by Christmas to start in Vancouver (Fingers crossed) and Tryamkin can be brought over at the end of his season. 

If we make any more moves other than that is will end up handcuffing us in a couple of years

And signing Gardiner, as some has suggested does not fix our RHD problem and does not improve our LHD significantly. 

Let's spend our money wisely!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

Are we sure the price on Colin Miller would be Clarkson?  Bc can't they just put him on LTIR. 

We can also put him on LTIR.  IF this is the case, then I'd love to acquire him.  looking at these UFAs and possible contracts then estimating the Canucks’ future contracts you hit the cap quite quickly. For this reason a player like Colin Miller and JT Miller are good acquisitions.  lets make this off-season Miller time. 

Edited by brian42
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Are we sure the price on Colin Miller would be Clarkson?  Bc can't they just put him on LTIR. 

We can also put him on LTIR.  IF this is the case, then I'd love to acquire him.  looking at these the UFA and possible contracts and estimating the Canuck's future contracts you hit the cap quite quickly, for this reason a player like Colin Miller and JT Miller are good acquisitions.  lets make this off-season Miller time. 

explain how we would get rid of existing contracts and players to achieve this vegas move ?

we will not have enough cap space as things presently stand

I just have a question with the whole C Miller thing. Curious why Las Vegas would trade their only R handed Defensemen. Am I missing something here? I’ve seen quite a bit about them moving him due to cap restraints but wouldn’t they prefer to trade someone else. Just a thought

Edited by Devron44

We do have the cap space for the Miller move but if your saying there wouldn’t be enough cap space for the Miller move then sign our RFAs and sign 1 big UFA 

then solutions could include:

trade sutter -Hayes went for 7 million sutter’s contract isn’t huge wouldn’t expect much back.

buy out spooner.

trade Tanev 

do do not re-sign all RFAs 

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I just have a question with the whole C Miller thing. Curious why Las Vegas would trade their only R handed Defensemen. Am I missing something here? I’ve seen quite a bit about them moving him due to cap restraints but wouldn’t they prefer to trade someone else. Just a thought

He fell out of favour with Gallant last year was in his dog house...

22 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

with the rumours of us courting Myers and some interest in Nemeth, I wonder if we will see a trade happening soon? 

100% there will be a trade.  

Need one more top 6 forward to play with Horvat.  A play maker someone who can pass the puck. 

Then some D help and cpl players out including LE.  This team is going to look very good to start the season.

• Upvote 1

Sign Stralman to the exact same deal we just gave Edler. Give Nemeth a 2-3 year deal. Trade or let Hutton walk. Schenn and Brisebois/Sautner can be 7 and 8. Juolevi sits in Utica for a month or two of however long it takes to get his legs back after missing so much time last season. Next summer can try sign Barrie in free agency.

11 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Myers/Gardiner

Tanev

Hughes

Edler 

Stecher

Hutton 

Joulevi

Schenn

Biega

I think ill be good with this going into next season.

Take out Hutton and Schenn.

Hutton bc smiles don't wins hockey games and Schenn because we haven't reached an agreement with him yet :/