The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canuck Defense

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

vegas golden knights fired him after being eliminated by the sharks. Don t know the date, but it was in the off - season, one or two weeks after the playoff elimination.

This is either the best kept secret or you're misinformed. Do you mind linking a tweet or article or something about it? I googled "Gerard Gallant fired" and it's just about the Panthers. Wikipedia says he is the current coach for Vegas. As does Capfriendly. I legit can't find anything that says he was fired.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

don't get your reasoning.

Gallant is no longer in Vegas.

New headcoach might look different at Miller than Gallant did.

I think you may be mistaken

George Mcphee was GM he has stayed on as President passing GM duties to McCrimmon. 

Gallant is the coach. Ex FLD coach. Good newfie boy. He's not going anywhere soon.  

• Upvote 1

IMO Schenn is gone.   

Usually these kind of depth player, who kind of just rejuvenated their career, re-signs right-away with their team.   Fact that he hasn't yet, tells me either JB tried to lowball him so bad he felt insulted, or the more plausible scenario, he got greedy and is trying to get a longer term deal on the market to secure his future, based on his end of season success and JB kind of decided to go in another direction.

By the time Schenn goes around the league to see if the grass is greener elsewhere and realized it isn't, there won't be anything left for him in Vancouver, unless JB's plans all fell through.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is what I am looking at right now, and am wondering about...………..love to hear your thoughts on the subject...……...

Currently Signed  Defense

Edler                                    Tanev

Hughes                                Stecher

Juolevi                                  Biega   

Sautner                                 Woo - (2 years away minimum)

Brisebois

RFA's Un-signed

Hutton                                   Tryamkin - (1 year away minimum)

Targets - RHD Defensemen

Colin Miller             3 yrs @ $3,875,000                     Cost...……..Taking David Clarkson's contract ($5,250,000)

Tyler Myers            5 yrs @ $6,000,000                     Cost...……...UFA signing...…...term

Luke Schenn          2 yrs @ $1,000,000                     Cost...……..UFA signing...……nothing

Anton Stralman      2 yrs @ $4,000,000                     Cost...……...UFA signing...…...term?

In my opinion, we re-sign Hutton on the left side, re-sign Schenn on the right, and go get Colin Miller or sign Myers, and that is about all you can do this year, until possibly the TDL, when you can look at moving both Hutton and Tanev out if so desired...……..

To me that is the most logical and economical moves Benning can do, as Juolevi should be ready by Christmas to start in Vancouver (Fingers crossed) and Tryamkin can be brought over at the end of his season. 

If we make any more moves other than that is will end up handcuffing us in a couple of years

And signing Gardiner, as some has suggested does not fix our RHD problem and does not improve our LHD significantly. 

Let's spend our money wisely!

One of the issues for me is having the TOI available for rookie d-men on the Canuck roster. Canucks are still in transition over the next 2 years as the various pieces get NHL experience and as needs become clearer. It appears Meyers is close to signingin Van. That bumps Tanev to 2RD. I want Tanev traded sooner than later as his health record continues to drop his value. IMO Hutton is resigned and likely starts at 2LD. If Hughes can push up into the 2LD then Hutton becomes tradeable. Canucks will not let Hutton walk as he has value. Moving Tanev opens a spot to move Stecher back up to 2RD but he will be on the bubble as Tryamkin and Woo wait in the wings. 

All of this assumes that no player comes out of camp with a claim on a roster spot. There are 3 or 4 prospects who could surprise, Joulevi being in the led. The idea that any of Tanev, Hutton or Stecher might be dealt could also be tempered by the Canuck performance in the standings. I do expect them to make playoffs this year. Making playoffs increases the value of the players on the trade bubble. The question then becomes does Benning trade into performance strength or make playoffs. Maybe a combo. As much as Jimmy likely has to make playoffs to placate the fans it is still a development game as his younger prospects mature.  

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

don't get your reasoning.

Gallant is no longer in Vegas.

New headcoach might look different at Miller than Gallant did.

:picard: Gallant is the head coach of Vegas 

Google is your friend 

Edited by Crabcakes

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

IMO Schenn is gone.   

Usually these kind of depth player, who kind of just rejuvenated their career, re-signs right-away with their team.   Fact that he hasn't yet, tells me either JB tried to lowball him so bad he felt insulted, or the more plausible scenario, he got greedy and is trying to get a longer term deal on the market to secure his future, based on his end of season success and JB kind of decided to go in another direction.

By the time Schenn goes around the league to see if the grass is greener elsewhere and realized it isn't, there won't be anything left for him in Vancouver, unless JB's plans all fell through.

you are obviously close to jim, to be able to know what he is thinking. what else is he thinking?

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

don't know, to be honest.

Head nothing that another NHL team hired him as a headcoach.

He is out of business right now.

Why do people invent things?   Gallant has no more been fired than Donald Trump has opened a plush day care for illegal immigrant children.

:picard:

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

these kind of depth player, who kind of just rejuvenated their career, re-signs right-away with their team

Yet another invented narrative that flies in the face of facts.   :picard:What most typically happens with this sort of player is the team tells them to hold tight (there is not extensive demand for them) until after the draft and even until after July 1st as other moves need to happen to clarify CAP space etc.   The player/agent are understanding and are appreciative to the team that "rejuvenated" their career but also they want to not miss out on other opportunities so they often have a "gentleman's" agreement to not sign elsewhere in the first few days of FA but not much past about July 4th or 5th.    THAT is what happens and is factual.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

you are obviously close to jim, to be able to know what he is thinking. what else is he thinking?

I'm his wife...I tell Jim what to think.

Seriously, what are you doing on CDC?  Isn't the point of this message board to voice your thoughts and opinions on the Canucks.   I never pretended to know what was JB thinking.....hence why I start my post with IN MY OPINION !!! :picard:

Edited by timberz21
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet another invented narrative that flies in the face of facts.   :picard:What most typically happens with this sort of player is the team tells them to hold tight (there is not extensive demand for them) until after the draft and even until after July 1st as other moves need to happen to clarify CAP space etc.   The player/agent are understanding and are appreciative to the team that "rejuvenated" their career but also they want to not miss out on other opportunities so they often have a "gentleman's" agreement to not sign elsewhere in the first few days of FA but not much past about July 4th or 5th.    THAT is what happens and is factual.

I guess the Mighty Rob_Zepp's opinion trumps everyone else.   Good to know.

My confusion and concern about the Canuck defense is this. Let's say we sign one of Myers/Stralman and Schenn, as well as re-sign Hutton

then we have...….

Edler                     Myers

Hughes                 Tanev

Hutton                   Stecher

Juolevi                  Schenn

Saunter                 Biega

Brisebois    

Is that enough to be considered  a   playoff defense?   I do not think so, and then we talk about moving out Tanev and Hutton, which will only make it weaker......

Should we be concerned?