The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Jason Zucker

We all know to land a top free agent we’ll have to overpay and I’m not for it. I think when guys like Hayes are getting paid 7 million a year the best route to take to improve our top 6 is the trade route. We all heard the rumours about Zucker, he’s signed for another 4 years at a reasonable cap hit of 5.5 million. So rather than overpay for Lee or Nyquist why not go the trade route and deal for Zucker?

Miller - Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Zucker 

I would say that’s a pretty good top 6 and we can save ourselves from making another mistake a la Eriksson. By the way I’m not saying Lee and Nyquist are going to end up like Eriksson, I just want to avoid handing out these enormous free agent contracts. 

The only issue in dealing for Zucker is Minnesota is looking for immediate help rather than picks. Do we have the assets to make a deal?

Edited by Doogie

2 minutes ago, Doogie said:

We all know to land a top free agent we’ll have to overpay and I’m not for it. I think when guys like Hayes are getting paid 7 million a year the best route to take to improve our top 6 is the trade route. We all heard the rumours about Zucker, he’s signed for another 4 years at a reasonable cap hit of 5.5 million. So rather than overpay for Lee or Nyquist why not go the trade route and deal for Zucker?

Miller - Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Zucker 

I would say that’s a pretty good top 6 and we can save ourselves from making another mistake a la Eriksson. By the way I’m not saying Lee and Nyquist are going to end up like Eriksson, I just want to avoid handing out these enormous free agent contracts. 

Who do we trade for him when we probably still need assets to trade for a top 4 D?

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Zucker will cost assets.

Lee or Nyquist will not.

Lee or Nyquist will also cost us close to 7 million if not more on 6-7 year deals. Would you rather give up assets for someone at a reasonable cap hit at only 4 years or overpay in free agency. 

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Who do we trade for him when we probably still need assets to trade for a top 4 D?

If GMJB is going the trade route for a top 4 D I would definitely save those assets for someone like Ristolainen or Colin Miller. But if he’s going free agency with either Myers or Gardiner then I would trade the assets for Zucker. 

54 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You'd likely be looking at futures/player combo. Like Baer, Hutton & Madden for Mother Zucker.

Don't know if I'd take the plunge? ..prob not

Minnesota has too many left wingers and only have 1 right shot in their top-9.  If they trade Zucker it's not to get a left wing in return.  

Hutton has played well over 22 minutes and in arbitration ice time is a key factor.  He could end up being significantly overpaid by taking the team to arbitration.

From Russo in the Athletic (paywall): 

[...] Fenton has said he’d only trade Zucker if the “right thing came to me.”  But right now, it sure sounds like Fenton’s content to keep Zucker, who has scored 76 goals the past three seasons.

Canucks were rumoured to be heavy on Zucker and if they made an offer it was not sufficient.  

Edited by mll

20 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I think after we acquired Miller, the Zucker interest is gone. I do hope we still go after Hoffman If Panarin signs with the Panthers.

You really want hoffmann and his wife in VAN?:unsure:

Karlsson wanted out of Ottawa because of them 

5 hours ago, scheif16 said:

You really want hoffmann and his wife in VAN?:unsure:

Karlsson wanted out of Ottawa because of them 

5 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I think after we acquired Miller, the Zucker interest is gone. I do hope we still go after Hoffman If Panarin signs with the Panthers.

yes no to Hoffman

Benning already made his trade to fill a top 6 role.  I don't see him giving up assets to get another top 6 forward, especially given the fact that we just drafted Podkolzin who will be here in 2 years and ready to fill a spot.  

I would say Benning is going to focus on free agency to fill the gaps.  Whatever chips we have won't get us a top 6 winger or top 4 Dman.  Most likely guys like Granlund, Goldy and Hutton will get traded for picks.  

8 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The Canucks just gave up a first for Miller. Ship’s sailed on Zucker. 

and trading for top 4 d. 

Its clear now that Jim was shopping a conditional 1st, and you have to believe that he would have moved that for a guy like Barrie if at all possible but Sakic wanted more. So Jim made the deal for a guy who's better than any winger not named Panarin in the free agent market. 

I can see some minor trades going on, or maybe that fabled Loui-Lucic swap, but thats it now. 

It sure sounds like they are all-in on Myers. 

8 hours ago, Doogie said:

Lee or Nyquist will also cost us close to 7 million if not more on 6-7 year deals. Would you rather give up assets for someone at a reasonable cap hit at only 4 years or overpay in free agency. 

depends on what it takes to land Zucker, Lee & Nyquist will get over paid but not cost us roster spots but, I'm sure Zucker will cost too much for us