The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

If you qualify him, he costs too much.  I think they are confident about getting a top 4D like Myers enough to take the chance on Hutton leaving.  They can still sign him just have to compete with everyone else, much like how Justin Schultz wasn’t qualified by the Penguins then re-signed for less than his QO

1 minute ago, Jaku said:

Yes. But not worth 4.4M per year for 4 years.

They could just do a one year qualifying offer

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like, but where’s Tanev?

He’s likely gone from Vancouver after this contract

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do you think he'll circle back and re-sign with the Canucks cheaper? That would be a little awkward in the room. I think if he's gone, he's gone. It sounds like Benning is busy looking for at least 2 Ds. He's also been talking to Tryamkin's people and he seems confident Nikita will be back at some point. Is it possible that Tryamkin could be in a Canucks uniform this fall? Maybe Juolevi's recovery is going well and they expect him to make the team later in the year? Tanev could also be traded, so the D could look very different next season.

Edler - UFA

Tryamkin* - Hughes

UFA - Stecher

Juolevi

I don't think it's awkward at all. If you look at the comparables, Hutton does not look good with 4 Mill. It'd be actually AWKWARD if he got it and came into the room performing like has for the past couple of years.

22 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

If the Lightning drafted that player in the 6th round, the Canucks could've drafted that same player in the 5th round or 4th round. 

As for Benning, if we don't end up with not having anyone of significance coming out of later of the 2nd round then, yes, he'll have failed as Gillis did.

I agree but at the same time I would think it also depends where the scouts were focused at that time. It's quite completely possible the Canucks scout never even looked at those players. Theres hundreds and hundreds of kids all over the world cant look at them all.

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think Vancouver likes what Hutton can get through RFA Arbitration, hence they don't qualify him so that the team can re-negotiate a fairer contract.

I don't think anyone here (including Hutton) believes he deserves 4M. Hutton will re-sign with the Canucks with a better cap hit. I'm sure of it.

This happened to Pouliot last year and thy resigned him..I think Van will offer 2.5 million and if he doesn't sign that okay..

Jordie Benn, 6'2 gritty , avg 18 mins per game last year local guy, home town discount 2.5 million maybe..

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Conversely it allows you little balls of hate to spin it negatively as well :lol:

Your flaw is thinking there's only one 'right' way to rebuild. I have no such limitations.

We've been complete ass, and, 5 years later, there's nothing to suggest that'll we'll be anything more than 1st round and out team over the next few years.

I've yet to see the fruits of Benning's particular rebuild "plan". So far all I've seen is a bunch top 10 picks, something you or I or Joe Blow could have accomplished as GM.

Step 1: Be the worst team in the league

Step 2: Draft high

What a plan.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Hutton likes it here enough, I wonder what he would sign for to stay?  

Is 2.5 too much?  He was making 2.8.  

His qualifying offer would have been 2.8M. So it would have been higher than that. Maybe as a UFA he signs at 2.5.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think it's awkward at all. If you look at the comparables, Hutton does not look good with 4 Mill. It'd be actually AWKWARD if he got it and came into the room performing like has for the past couple of years.

The Canucks didn't offer him a contract, so I'm not sure why they would later. Seems strange to me but I guess it could happen. Some other team could pick him up too. Benning said he was going to overhaul the D, so my guess this is part of it. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

We've been complete ass, and, 5 years later, there's nothing to suggest that'll we'll be anything more than 1st round and out team over the next few years.

I've yet to see the fruits of Benning's particular rebuild "plan". So far all I've seen is a bunch top 10 picks, something you or I or Joe Blow could have accomplished as GM.

Step 1: Be the worst team in the league

Step 2: Draft high

What a plan.

You should open your eyes then, you're missing a LOT.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jaku said:

His qualifying offer would have been 2.8M. So it would have been higher than that. Maybe as a UFA he signs at 2.5.

Heard on the radio out here that the Sens will want Hutton.  It’s whether Hutton will want them?

I dont care what our D situation was this past season, our GM should have known he wasn't willing to pay Hutton his arbitration rate and he should has moved Ben at the TDL for a draft pick.

This screams PISS POOR asset management, only cements it in stone that JB is not the right guy for the job. I am glad the owners have note extended him, he doesnt deserve it. He is trying to save his job with the JT trade and who knows what else in FA on July 1.

Best of luck Ben, your not worth 4m imo, your a great #5 fringe #4 D in the NHL.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

You should open your eyes then, you're missing a LOT.

So far the only defense of Benning is that we have Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser to look forward to and guess what: all of them are the result of us being ass and drafting high.

That's not a plan, that's just being ass.

• Wat 4

Just now, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio out here that the Sens will want Hutton.  It’s whether Hutton will want them?

The Sens can throw a ridiculous overpriced contract and probably will. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks didn't offer him a contract, so I'm not sure why they would later. Seems strange to me but I guess it could happen. Some other team could pick him up too. Benning said he was going to overhaul the D, so my guess this is part of it. 

It's a qualifying offer, not a contract. Hutton therefore becomes UFA, which allows Hutton to talk to other teams. However, I think he'll make every opportunity to re-sign with the Canucks. After all, Virtanen is one of his best friends here and I'm sure Hutton understands that he doesn't deserve an unjustified raise to 3-4 Mill. He can either go to another team or he can re-sign with the Canucks for a fairer price.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I dont care what our D situation was this past season, our GM should have known he wasn't willing to pay Hutton his arbitration rate and he should has moved Ben at the TDL for a draft pick.

This screams PISS POOR asset management, only cements it in stone that JB is not the right guy for the job. I am glad the owners have note extended him, he doesnt deserve it. He is trying to save his job with the JT trade and who knows what else in FA on July 1.

Best of luck Ben, your not worth 4m imo, your a great #5 fringe #4 D in the NHL.

And here’s another one folks! You understand that it’s quite possible that no one wanted him and even if he could have gotten a late round pick the defence was so depleted we were icing half of Utica back there 

• Cheers 1