The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

Thanks for the insights and opinions.  I learned a bit.
Would be nice if he does re-sign at a lower price and has another really good off season training.

Bringing more improvements to camp like last year.  Who knows maybe one year he will truly be a decent d-man.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's a qualifying offer, not a contract. Hutton therefore becomes UFA, which allows Hutton to talk to other teams. However, I think he'll make every opportunity to re-sign with the Canucks. After all, Virtanen is one of his best friends here and I'm sure Hutton understands that he doesn't deserve an unjustified raise to 3-4 Mill. He can either go to another team or he can re-sign with the Canucks for a fairer price.

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So far the only defense of Benning is that we have Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser to look forward to and guess what: all of them are the result of us being ass and drafting high.

That's not a plan, that's just being ass.

Nope.

This is how I see our defense right now ranked (level of defenseman in parentheses):

Edler (2)

Tanev (3)

Stecher (4)

Hughes (2-5)

Hutton (4-5)

Biega (6-8)

Sautner (7-8)

Rafferty (7-8)

Teves (8)

Brisebois (8)

Basically, no top level defensemen and a plethora of bottom level defensemen. If we don't re-sign Hutton (for a reasonable deal, of course), we'll need some help on the bottom pairing, as I'm not sure Biega is fit for a permanent role, despite his dramatic offensive improvement last year.

Of course, a big signing of a top 4 guy will push several guys down, so at that point, Hutton would be our No. 6, which is pretty good.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do you think he'll circle back and re-sign with the Canucks cheaper? That would be a little awkward in the room. I think if he's gone, he's gone. It sounds like Benning is busy looking for at least 2 Ds. He's also been talking to Tryamkin's people and he seems confident Nikita will be back at some point. Is it possible that Tryamkin could be in a Canucks uniform this fall? Maybe Juolevi's recovery is going well and they expect him to make the team later in the year? Tanev could also be traded, so the D could look very different next season.

Edler - UFA

Tryamkin* - Hughes

UFA - Stecher

Juolevi

I'm quite sure Benning earlier said that Tryamkin will not be returning this fall. The soonest we could see him is next year. I think Stecher is penciled in on the 2nd pairing with Hughes for now.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

It is what it is. Good teams lose talent all the time. Hutton isn't worth his ARB case. If we add a free agent D we can't afford 2 overpaid players. 

I personally feel his personality has been of the problem. He feels threatened by Quinn anyways. Instead of embracing a new teammate he's worried about his positional standing on the team.

The focus should be on the group. Stecher wants more ice time I'm sure but he acts more mature about it and puts the team first because he wants to play here. I respect stechs play and decision making. He's a good player and a good guy.

Why not get rid of him last season?  He had a good season, D men have value. 

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm quite sure Benning earlier said that Tryamkin will not be returning this fall. The soonest we could see him is next year. I think Stecher is penciled in on the 2nd pairing with Hughes for now.

Hughes-Stecher won’t happen unless some injuries force it..who’s going to clear the net?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Hutton likes it here enough, I wonder what he would sign for to stay?  

Is 2.5 too much?  He was making 2.8.  

I think he likes playing here. I would hope we could sign him for 2 years at 3-3.2 per year. 

16 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Why not get rid of him last season?  He had a good season, D men have value. 

It's another example of how many Canuck fans overrate their players. Benning should do this, Benning should do that. JB has few options to trade and not many options to make trades with outside the core. 

• Cheers 1