The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not a rumour...it's a discussion point. IMO a worthwhile one. It doesn't need 'credibility' or a 'source'.

There's plenty of 'credible' tweeters noting the Canucks shopping Tanev, I'd not be surprised at all to see us move him and sign Hutton or another D this summer.

Feel free to discuss...or don't and continue to just act like self-important douche-nozzles....

It would be a smart move depending on what comes back. I’d like to see Sutter moved for a pick as well and us sign Ferland 

Ferland Petey Boeser

Miller Bo Pearson

Baer Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Motte

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers 

Hutton / Juolevi Benn

That’s a team that other teams won’t look forward to playing. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not a rumour...it's a discussion point. IMO a worthwhile one. It doesn't need 'credibility' or a 'source'.

There's plenty of 'credible' tweeters noting the Canucks shopping Tanev, I'd not be surprised at all to see us move him and sign Hutton or another D this summer.

Feel free to discuss...or don't and continue to just act like self-important douche-nozzles....

Pot meet Kettle.

Boy o boy. Someone kill your dog this morning to put you in that mood?

Canucksmarmy are a bunch of whiny negative unprofessional bloggers that make stuff up half the time. They have no credibility. Could Tanev be traded?  Well duh. It has only been talked about every year for the last bunch of years by many of us actual Canuck fans.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pot meet Kettle.

Boy o boy. Someone kill your dog this morning to put you in that mood?

Canucksmarmy are a bunch of whiny negative unprofessional bloggers that make stuff up half the time. They have no credibility. Could Tanev be traded?  Well duh. It has only been talked about every year for the last bunch of years by many of us actual Canuck fans.

Not in any 'mood' other than my normal one thanks :) I see you're sticking with douche nozzle though ;)

And again, not an endorsement in any way of CA. I think you'll find my opinion of that particular entity not far from your own. Merely came across the thought on Twitter and thought it was an interesting taking point.

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Maybe we should start a pool for how much he will actually sign for.... :)

I'm going to go on record that he signs a 1 yr deal with a team (might be Vancouver), for about 2.5 million.

2.5 is fair for Hutty.  I do hope we can  bring him back.  He had a good season last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd be ok with this (or even another player if not Hutton).

This is some loopy thnking.

Hutton hasn't been signed.....therefore the Canucks are probably trying to move Tanev to make space for him...?

Sounds like the 'Ben Hutton is a legit top 4' fluff-club is still at it.

The longer Ben Hutton stays on the market the more I suspect that Ben Hutton was asking for too much cap and term - that's what  I suspect.

The longer Ben Hutton stays on the market, the more likely he is to realize that even at 2.8 million the last few years, he was handsomely compensated for his performance.

I like Ben Hutton - like his skating, like his potential (when he's not playing like a deer in headlights) - but he has a certain fluffer crowd in this fanbase that has been pumping his tires routinely the past few years - even heading into this free agent period peddling the "Ben Hutton is a legit top 4" story -  and here is more of that kind of unrealistic fantasy material around Hutton - he hasn't signed, because the Canucks are looking to trade Tanev.

It-takes-a-canucksarmy to come up with this kind of stuff.

If the Canucks are looking to move Tanev, it could be for a whole host of reasons other than making space for Ben Hutton.  Even if they were to move Tanev, I suspect it would be to use that cap hit on a RW - if they were to sign Hutton to cheaper terms, that would still have nothing to do with moving Tanev to 'make room' for Hutton.

If the Canucks haven't signed Ben Hutton, I doubt it has a whiff to do with Chris Tanev, and everything to do with Hutton not having reached the point of realism regarding his market value.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Did anyone else notice that Hutton didn't sign on July 1st, somewhere for 4 million +???

Just wondering if anyone else noticed that... :)

yeah - couldn't help but notice as well that TSN had him above guys like Hainsey and Dzingel in their "top 25" UFAs list.  Still have him above Kronwall.  Might just be the legitimate top 4 we've been looking for.

Then again, pretty sure that Jake Gardiner was alleged to be hella-in-demand - yet no one has signed him.   Must be that the bidding war is too intense, to escalated and that he can't decide among all the increasing offers.  I think the longer he remains unsigned, it's probably more and more likely that the Leafs move Marner so that they can re-sign Gardiner.

The thing is - the Canucks have enough cap space presently - and will have enough cap after signing Boeser, Leivo (Goldobin, if he re-signs, will imo would be a fraction over replacement value) to sign Hutton, whether or not Tanev is still here.

They have 9.1 space.

13 F signed.

8 D

Add another 1.8ish million of space gained from the 2 players that make way for Boeser and Leivo.  Waive Schaller, LE, assign Gaudette, and Fantenberg - whatever.

Around 10.9 million to sign Boeser and Leivo.   Imo that price tag is likely to be 6-7 on a bridge for Boeser, and Leivo - maybe 1.5 millon.

In my opinion, that leaves  in the range of 2.9 million - ample space for what Hutton is worth - and if he's important enough to move a player like Tanev for, then the mere wiggle room around that 2.9, you'd think, would be worth the 'risk' of signing him in the present to the type of cap hit he had last year.

And yet it hasn't happened. 

I don't think any of this translates into the Canucks being terribly desperate or determined to sign Ben Hutton.   If Hutton is prepared to sign for Benn range money, maybe there is something to talk about?

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd be ok with this (or even another player if not Hutton).

Don't really see bringing him back, partially because I don't see us using him for more than one season.  Juolevi should certainly ready this year or next at the latest, plus the other prospects that are knocking at the door.  Would think he could get a multi-year deal somewhere.  Time to move on.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

This is some loopy thnking.

Hutton hasn't been signed.....therefore the Canucks are probably trying to move Tanev to make space for him...?

Sounds like the 'Ben Hutton is a legit top 4' fluff-club is still at it.

The longer Ben Hutton stays on the market the more I suspect that Ben Hutton was asking for too much cap and term - that's what  I suspect.

The longer Ben Hutton stays on the market, the more likely he is to realize that even at 2.8 million the last few years, he was handsomely compensated for his performance.

I like Ben Hutton - like his skating, like his potential (when he's not playing like a deer in headlights) - but he has a certain fluffer crowd in this fanbase that has been pumping his tires routinely the past few years - even heading into this free agent period peddling the "Ben Hutton is a legit top 4" story -  and here is more of that kind of unrealistic fantasy material around Hutton - he hasn't signed, because the Canucks are looking to trade Tanev.

It-takes-a-canucksarmy to come up with this kind of stuff.

If the Canucks are looking to move Tanev, it could be for a whole host of reasons other than making space for Ben Hutton.  Even if they were to move Tanev, I suspect it would be to use that cap hit on a RW - if they were to sign Hutton to cheaper terms, that would still have nothing to do with moving Tanev to 'make room' for Hutton.

If the Canucks haven't signed Ben Hutton, I doubt it has a whiff to do with Chris Tanev, and everything to do with Hutton not having reached the point of realism regarding his market value.

I didn't read it at all as 'making room for Hutton' (yes, I know that's what they said... But it's CA).  I read it as, if we trade Tanev, perhaps we sign Hutton or another, less expensive D to free up cap for the exact reason you noted (while also adding assets from moving Tanev).

At least that's why I posted it as a talking point, as per my comments.

Edited by aGENT

58 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't really see bringing him back, partially because I don't see us using him for more than one season.  Juolevi should certainly ready this year or next at the latest, plus the other prospects that are knocking at the door.  Would think he could get a multi-year deal somewhere.  Time to move on.

Can he though? If he could, I'd imagine he would have by now.

And like I said, I'd be perfectly happy with another D as well. Perhaps a solid vet we could rent at the deadline.

Edited by aGENT

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I didn't read it at all as 'making room for Hutton' (yes, I know that's what they said... But it's CA).  I read it as, if we trade Tanev, perhaps we sign Hutton or another, less expensive D to free up cap for the exact reason you noted (while also adding assets from moving Tanev).

At least that's why I posted it as a talking point, as per my comments.

I don't think they necessarily have to move Tanev to sign a player like Hutton.

They have the cap imo.

But I think they're more likely to wait it out and see what else is possible.  If they can move another forward (LE, Baer) - it opens more options than Hutton. or maybe even adding a D in the process.  If not, maybe they circle back to Hutton, but I certainly don't read into the fact that Hutton has yet to sign some kind of indication that Tanev would be on the block to make space for him.  I think maybe a few army types over-rate Hutton, perhaps even buy the idea that he's the 2nd best D remaining on he market - behind Gardiner.....Kronwall, Girardi, Lovejoy, McQuaid, Chiarot, Sbisa! still available...  For the purposes of a 4LHD, I'm not sure Hutton makes any more sense than a cheap, short term Luca Sbisa, and when you get into the money that Hutton is alleged to want, you have choices.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have the cap imo.

But I think they're more likely to wait it out and see what else is possible.  If they can move another forward (LE, Baer) - it opens more options than Hutton. or maybe even adding a D in the process.  If not, maybe they circle back to Hutton, but I certainly don't read into the fact that Hutton has yet to sign some kind of indication that Tanev would be on the block to make space for him.  I think maybe a few army types over-rate Hutton, perhaps even buy the idea that he's the 2nd best D remaining on he market - behind Gardiner.....Kronwall, Girardi, Lovejoy, McQuaid, Chiarot, Sbisa! still available...  For the purposes of a 4LHD, I'm not sure Hutton makes any more sense than a cheap, short term Luca Sbisa, and when you get into the money that Hutton is alleged to want, you have choices.

But that smile though...

37 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They have the cap imo.

Yup.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Can he though? If he could, I'd imagine he would have by now.

And like I said, I'd be perfectly happy with another D as well. Perhaps a solid vet we could rent at the deadline.

Two years at up to $2mil or so?  Could do worse for a bottom-pairing dman, and there's certainly teams out there with limited cap options.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Two years at up to $2mil or so?  Could do worse for a bottom-pairing dman, and there's certainly teams out there with limited cap options.

TOR would probably love to sign him for 1 year at $700k.

• Haha 2

All the best to Hutton whether he plays here or elsewhere. Needs to be at a lower cap hit though because 4+ million is far too much at this point, they were right to cut him loose considering the Luongo recapture penalty.