The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Deserves Better!

Rate this topic

Dixon Ward

On 6/29/2019 at 6:44 PM, clutesi said:

I have no problem with Benning's draft record, it's been good in a very competitive business. His trades and player development is a mystery to me. Bringing in Green was a great step in player development. But losing McCann, Dahlen, and Tryamkin were blunders. It's not enough to draft well, the players are assets that should be developed. Several times now Benning's given away too valuable assets for little and signed for too long and too much. Why not keep Benning for scouting director, his strength, and get a manager to handle trades, contracts, and development?

Not agreeing on Dahlen, after the canucks traded him, he left SJ to play in sweden again. Certain players think they just get their ice time and the opportunity to play in the top 6 for free. If you are not willing to earn your spot then i think it says a lot about the work ethic of a player. Honestly, not to sad about the departure of Dahlen.

Fantastic day for Benning and the Canucks.

It’s really this simple.  If you hate or dislike today’s moves, you’re a hater.  Doesn’t matter if Benning does something good, you’ll still find a fault.  It’s kind of like south of the border.  Trump is kicking a$$ and turned the country around but he has haters too.  Not comparing Benning with Trump (although they’re both rad) but my point is there’s haters out there.  

At least we all get a say, an opinion.  As a die hard fan for many years, my opinion is Jimbo isn’t perfect.  However he’s been very good overall and there’s no doubt he has turned the ship around. We’re on the upswing of the rebuild.  The future is bright.  Nobody can deny that.  

I’d encourage more people to quit hating.  It’s gotta be a tiresome way to live.  Enjoy your Canucks.  Have a beer and dog at the game.  Try not to fall out of your seat once Pettersson, Brock and Hughes jump the boards in 3 on 3 OT.

Canucks, s’go!

Benning is awesome!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, By sea and land said:

It’s really this simple.  If you hate or dislike today’s moves, you’re a hater.  Doesn’t matter if Benning does something good, you’ll still find a fault.  It’s kind of like south of the border.  Trump is kicking a$$ and turned the country around but he has haters too.  Not comparing Benning with Trump (although they’re both rad) but my point is there’s haters out there.  

At least we all get a say, an opinion.  As a die hard fan for many years, my opinion is Jimbo isn’t perfect.  However he’s been very good overall and there’s no doubt he has turned the ship around. We’re on the upswing of the rebuild.  The future is bright.  Nobody can deny that.  

I’d encourage more people to quit hating.  It’s gotta be a tiresome way to live.  Enjoy your Canucks.  Have a beer and dog at the game.  Try not to fall out of your seat once Pettersson, Brock and Hughes jump the boards in 3 on 3 OT.

Canucks, s’go!

Benning is awesome!

Lost my interest at “Trump is kicking a$$”. 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

Show me the math.

your argument is based on cap issues 

back up your argument with facts not tall tales please 

go to cal friendly build out the next 4 years in roster and cap space and show us all each one.

if you can’t do that and show everyone how they are in cap hell in four years you’re making it up based on “I think they will be” - that’s hyperbolic opinion 

thanks 

Still need me to explain to you how the salary cap works, or do you understand now? Once Boeser is signed it's gg cap space lol. 

15 hours ago, By sea and land said:

Canucks, s’go!

Benning is awesome!

A more suited analogy than a ship is that

We were more like a submarine, sitting on the floor for years with nowhere lower to go, eventually we have to rise :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CreamCheese said:

Still need me to explain to you how the salary cap works, or do you understand now? Once Boeser is signed it's gg cap space lol. 

I guess you don't calculate players we're going to get rid of via trade or other and / or not re-sign / age out.

But then again I use my brain, sorry about that

The following is based on a 2020/2021 season and cap of 85 mil.

we would have 19 mil in cap space based on the team below

It assumes, we rid ourselves of Sutter, Erickson (assume a cap floor team takes him for a late pick), Tanev is traded or gone via ufa, we sign Tryamkin to 3.75, Boeser to 7 mil. Marky is gone via a trade or Seattle claims him.

At the end of the following season Edler would be off the books, Baer and Pearson as well are UFA's. That leaves alot of money to sign petey, hughes and Baer and Pearson if needed. Edler will take a pay cut if he can still play or retire. (6 mil + 3.75 + 3.66 + 19 mil + any cap increase). The only player I don't have in there is a cheap backup.

Its clear you've done zero thinking and simply want to bash benning. You're welcome for doing the math for you. Move along

JT Miller C, LW, RW
UFA - 3
VAN
Pettersson, Elias
$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
VAN
Boeser, Brock
$7,000,000
RW
UFA- 6
VAN
Baertschi, Sven
$3,366,666
LW
UFA - 1
VAN
Horvat, Bo
$5,500,000
C
UFA - 3
VAN
Pearson, Tanner
$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
VAN
Leivo, Josh
$1,250,000
LW
RFA
VAN
Gaudette, Adam
$1,350,000
C
RFA
VAN
Virtanen, Jake
$1,750,000
RW
RFA
VAN
Roussel, Antoine
$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
VAN
Beagle, Jay
$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
VAN
Motte, Tyler
$975,000
RW, LW, C
RFA
VAN
MacEwen, Zack
$1,050,000
C, RW
RFA

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
VAN
Hughes, Quintin
$916,666
D
RFA - 1
VAN
Myers, Tyler
$6,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 4
VAN
Demko, Thatcher
$1,050,000
G
RFA - 1
VAN
Edler, Alexander
$6,000,000
D
NMC
UFA - 1
VAN
Stecher, Troy
$3,250,000
D
RFA

VAN
Juolevi, Olli
$863,333
D
RFA - 1
Tryamkin, Nikita
$3,750,000

VAN
Benn, Jordie
$2,000,000
D
UFA - 1

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

On 7/3/2019 at 12:06 AM, 18W-40C-6W said:

I guess you don't calculate players we're going to get rid of via trade or other and / or not re-sign / age out.

But then again I use my brain, sorry about that

The following is based on a 2020/2021 season and cap of 85 mil.

we would have 19 mil in cap space based on the team below

It assumes, we rid ourselves of Sutter, Erickson (assume a cap floor team takes him for a late pick), Tanev is traded or gone via ufa, we sign Tryamkin to 3.75, Boeser to 7 mil. Marky is gone via a trade or Seattle claims him.

At the end of the following season Edler would be off the books, Baer and Pearson as well are UFA's. That leaves alot of money to sign petey, hughes and Baer and Pearson if needed. Edler will take a pay cut if he can still play or retire. (6 mil + 3.75 + 3.66 + 19 mil + any cap increase). The only player I don't have in there is a cheap backup.

Its clear you've done zero thinking and simply want to bash benning. You're welcome for doing the math for you. Move along

JT Miller C, LW, RW
UFA - 3
VAN
Pettersson, Elias
$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
VAN
Boeser, Brock
$7,000,000
RW
UFA- 6
VAN
Baertschi, Sven
$3,366,666
LW
UFA - 1
VAN
Horvat, Bo
$5,500,000
C
UFA - 3
VAN
Pearson, Tanner
$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
VAN
Leivo, Josh
$1,250,000
LW
RFA
VAN
Gaudette, Adam
$1,350,000
C
RFA
VAN
Virtanen, Jake
$1,750,000
RW
RFA
VAN
Roussel, Antoine
$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
VAN
Beagle, Jay
$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
VAN
Motte, Tyler
$975,000
RW, LW, C
RFA
VAN
MacEwen, Zack
$1,050,000
C, RW
RFA

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
VAN
Hughes, Quintin
$916,666
D
RFA - 1
VAN
Myers, Tyler
$6,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 4
VAN
Demko, Thatcher
$1,050,000
G
RFA - 1
VAN
Edler, Alexander
$6,000,000
D
NMC
UFA - 1
VAN
Stecher, Troy
$3,250,000
D
RFA

VAN
Juolevi, Olli
$863,333
D
RFA - 1
Tryamkin, Nikita
$3,750,000

VAN
Benn, Jordie
$2,000,000
D
UFA - 1

You make me laugh, so our 3rd line is going to be Unproven Gaudette, Virtanen and Leivo eh (GIVE US THE CUP MEOW!) All 3 of these guys needing new contracts at the moment. Leivo will be signing for 2mill MINIMUM. And the other 2 guys will either prove themselves and also get 2mill+ or be out of jobs. You're putting in the best case scenario dollar amount, but if that's what these guys sign for it would be because they had terrible years. 

Also you have just Demko in net who is also unproven, he's either going to prove himself and demand big money the year after or we're going to have to sign a goalie in free agencies which also won't be cheap. All the while still having Loui signed for 2 more years and 2 4th liners making 3mill+ 

Petey is going to be getting 8-10mill and Hughes assuming he lives up to expectations the same. We now have JT miller and Myers signed long term, 2 guys who were 2nd/3rd line players on their respective teams. They are going to cause issues trying to sign our bonafide superstars. And we traded away a 1st round pick for one of them.... but yeah keep thinking you know everything just like GMJB! 

PS that 2020/2021 lineup you made makes me want to cry.... MOVE ALONG 

3 minutes ago, CreamCheese said:

You make me laugh, so our 3rd line is going to be Unproven Gaudette, Virtanen and Leivo eh (GIVE US THE CUP MEOW!) All 3 of these guys needing new contracts at the moment. Leivo will be signing for 2mill MINIMUM. And the other 2 guys will either prove themselves and also get 2mill+ or be out of jobs. You're putting in the best case scenario dollar amount, but if that's what these guys sign for it would be because they had terrible years. 

Also you have just Demko in net who is also unproven, he's either going to prove himself and demand big money the year after or we're going to have to sign a goalie in free agencies which also won't be cheap. All the while still having Loui signed for 2 more years and 2 4th liners making 3mill+ 

Petey is going to be getting 8-10mill and Hughes assuming he lives up to expectations the same. We now have JT miller and Myers signed long term, 2 guys who were 2nd/3rd line players on their respective teams. They are going to cause issues trying to sign our bonafide superstars. And we traded away a 1st round pick for one of them.... but yeah keep thinking you know everything just like GMJB! 

I think this lineup is actually well balanced and very good.  Plus, Demko is part of our core.  He will win the starting job from Demko by this coming Christmas.  That lineup gets us to the Conference Finals.  The following year, when Pods is here, we win the frighin’ Stanley Cup.  And you know what?  You’re not invited to the parade.   :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CreamCheese said:

Nice response. I show you with facts and math that we can be in a position with that lineup  in 2 years and still have 35+ million in cap space LOL and you said we have cap crunch coming

1. 35 mil in cap space - easy to Sign Petey to 10 mil and Hughes to 4 -5. Hughes wont be getting 10 mil on his second contract and even if he does we have 15 mil in cap space!! oopsie poopsie!

2. Demko will not have 'proven' he's a top NHL goalie at that point. He'll be one year into a full time starter position, he'll get a bridge of 3 mil that's common for goalies.

3. Math is great isn't it. Your post is absurd and you know it. You're not going to save face by talking around the fact that I just proved your commentary about a cap crunch to be sheer nonsense

LOL SMH

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think this lineup is actually well balanced and very good.  Plus, Demko is part of our core.  He will win the starting job from Demko by this coming Christmas.  That lineup gets us to the Conference Finals.  The following year, when Pods is here, we win the frighin’ Stanley Cup.  And you know what?  You’re not invited to the parade.   :P

It’s Awesome optimism, but by any chance have you looked

at the polished versions of the other three teams. ThAts only my point I. Merge posts I made or partially my point I made in my other posts. Sorry but IMO we’re not even remotely close to making the final four conf finals, let’s focus on getting to the playoffs first. Remember,  getting there and winning there are very different, and unless your one of the all time greatest players winning the cup when four or five of your best six-seven players are under 22 (let alone doing well and going on s run) is extremely unlikely. I’m not just a pessimist I have logics supporting my rationale. But just because I use logic doesn’t mean I’m right or that we will suck.

im just saying in order to make the playoffs that’s more or less 45 wins And 5-7 ot losses, 95-97 pts is a good

guess, or division is the weakest of the four at thE moment and last year the panthers I believe it was would of

made the playoffs over the avalanche had the confeeencss been different, so since our west was worst last year to make it we may only

need

93-95 let’s just use 95.

so that leaves roughly only thirty games roughly we can lose in regulation .

so now what you do since it’s not just our lineup that matters it’s every team with their new signings graduated prospects that we know less about then our own prospects ya naturally (unless it’s a huge name), and reality: we go against all those teams each and every single game of the 82 and not some

ea simulator using our awesome lineup as “well rounded” as it just may be. 

The game also isn’t played on paper but generally the good teams will do good and the bad teams will do bad. Not saying we are bad, I just am showing how difficult with parity each night it wi be to win because now often of those 82  games will we be able to honestly say “we are definitely a better team in oaper then them in the whole season.” Maybe against ten teams? (Because I said definitely it could more or less.) plus winning in the playoffs is completely different then making them

and wAy harder. It’s among multple  reasons why the cup is so coveted. I know all about our injuries and small sample sizes but every team gers hurt and playing this teams every night, gone are the days you could watch a game and say “ah Florida blow them out for sure.” (For instance) as is life with parity. So it be tough. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dude also people are allowed to be critical of JB, Green, the owners, anyone ....we have that right as fans. It doesn’t make us haters or mean we can’t go to the parade when they lift the cup whenever that is. Some are haters, but being critical or not liking additions or contracts, or saying we’re too young it will come because other teams are a bit ahead of us like Colorado Dallas (just for

exame) and it just might be another year or two.

That’s why the forums exist. 

Please distinguish the difference between being objective, critical, and being a hater, a troll, whatever term negative people are called.

its most often not the case. It’s good you have a positive attitude but don’t ridicule others for not sharing the same belief

You have. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Dude also people are allowed to be critical of JB, Green, the owners, anyone ....we have that right as fans. It doesn’t make us haters or mean we can’t go to the parade when they lift the cup whenever that is. Some are haters, but being critical or not liking additions or contracts, or saying we’re too young it will come because other teams are a bit ahead of us like Colorado Dallas (just for

Please distinguish the difference between being objective, critical, and being a hater, a troll, whatever term negative people are called.

its most often not the case. It’s good you have a positive attitude but don’t ridicule others for not sharing the same belief

You have. 

D2B24096-A63C-4E61-BE5E-11418761600C.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

You have. 

On this site you are only allowed to point out the good things that Jim has done. If you point out all the mistakes that he has made then you are a hater.

They have no in between.  Their are no balanced people who post on here. 

Just like Alf , he is either just coming off his meds or has just taken them and is slightly incoherent. Then he has a small widow where he seems normal.   :frantic:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

On this site you are only allowed to point out the good things that Jim has done. If you point out all the mistakes that he has made then you are a hater.

They have no in between.  Their are no balanced people who post on here. 

Just like Alf , he is either just coming off his meds or has just taken them and is slightly incoherent. Then he has a small widow where he seems normal.   :frantic:

11C6CE5F-5167-4DBF-95E7-0C845BACB123.png

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

11C6CE5F-5167-4DBF-95E7-0C845BACB123.png

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.  I deeply apologize for anything I may have said that might have be insensitive now , in the past or will probably say in the future. I say sorry also for all the things that have been said about all furry creatures from here and ever planet in our solar system.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.  I deeply apologize for anything I may have said that might have be insensitive now , in the past or will probably say in the future. I say sorry also for all the things that have been said about all furry creatures from here and ever planet in our solar system.

This is too much fun!