The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] William Karlsson re-signs (8 years, 5.9M AAV)

43 minutes ago, goblix said:

Why do people want a 32 year old 10-20 point guy that makes 2.25m for 1 year ?

I understand he's a bully and a bruiser and perhaps we need more sandpaper... but really if I'm going to try to fleece a player from VGK Reaves is last on my list.

Do you remember teams taking liberties with any of the Vegas stars?

Reeves is why you don't.

Pettersson and co. would be free to play their game without fear of being body slammed with a guy like Reeves in the lineup.

Edited by Lionized27
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lionized27 said:

Reeves is why you don't.

Pettersson and co. would be free to play their game without fear of being body slammed with a guy like Reeves in the lineup.

People underrate his playoff impact.

• Upvote 1

I watched this game.  The play was getting progressively chippy.  Dallas is not without some toughness and everyone expected was involved.  Then this happened and it all stopped.

this is what I like about reaves.  He’ll fight the toughest guy but he will also simply intimated an entire team by destroying a skilled player.  Reaves was looking for this and he found it.

do it for the kids Jim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We’ll take Ryan Reaves off your hands there, McPhee. 

McPhee isn't the GM anymore. He handed off the reins after putting them in this mess in the first place. All troubles will be blamed on McCrimmon though I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Reeves is why you don't.

We had Guddy whom had that same mantra to him. Turns out it didn't matter lol.

We do have more size with TJ Miller and Pearson in top 6 roles now and Luke Schenn if he resigns, I know these guys aren't the same bruiser that Reaves is but they are at least chippy or have some size to avoid being pushed around.

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

People underrate his playoff impact.

He had 7 games, 0 points avg 9 minutes of TOI a game and was a -1. His previous post-season stats are similar. 

Look I understand you two  like Reaves because of the intangibles and I'm not opposed into adding him because I do see the use of it.

But really our team if overfilled with bottom 6 forwards and even prospects projected to bottom 6 and most of them would be tough to move off of. Like nobody is going after Erickson, Spooner, Schaller, Beagle and we've heard the reports of Sutter it's really unknown.. 

Reaves would not be my main target if you can get a 2020 first or Miller and Reaves then sure. Otherwise I'd focus on things more worthwhile

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

And again - if this team were to acquire Miller, it creates a need / leaves a need for another D to fit - a heavier, harder minutes guy than Miller - there'd still have to be another important addition regardless, imo.    Spending assets on Miller doesn't make primary sense imo.

I think he's an upgrade on the bottom 4 tho, and good insurance if we can't land anyone better. 

1 hour ago, goblix said:

We do have more size with TJ Miller and Pearson in top 6 roles now and Luke Schenn if he resigns, I know these guys aren't the same bruiser that Reaves is but they are at least chippy or have some size to avoid being pushed around.

He had 7 games, 0 points avg 9 minutes of TOI a game and was a -1. His previous post-season stats are similar. 

Look I understand you two  like Reaves because of the intangibles and I'm not opposed into adding him because I do see the use of it.

But really our team if overfilled with bottom 6 forwards and even prospects projected to bottom 6 and most of them would be tough to move off of. Like nobody is going after Erickson, Spooner, Schaller, Beagle and we've heard the reports of Sutter it's really unknown.. 

Reaves would not be my main target if you can get a 2020 first or Miller and Reaves then sure. Otherwise I'd focus on things more worthwhile

Comparing Gudbranson to Reeves is laughable. One is a legitimate heavyweight, the other, well, isn't.

Reeves is a proven deterrent. Gudbranson proved he was not.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, goblix said:

I’m not suggesting it like it’s some crucial piece or signing.

im saying if he can be had for cheap he would be a good fit over the course of the season for specific matchups during the regular season to provide the “safe environment” Jim spoke about.

and imo I’ll take a Ryan reaves that can play 9 minutes per game in the post season doing what he does and only a -1,  (just to lend some legitimacy to +/- for the sake of your point)

edit

ill assume from your post you only looked at the stat lines and didn’t actually watch the playoff games both years.

Edited by riffraff

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Let's spitball some fool's game!

To Vegas

Schaller

To Vancouver

Reaves

Clarkson

Vegas 1st 20

This might mean no Myers type signing (unless LE vacates) - but they could still get a mid range placeholder - or possibly deal a guy like Baertschi or dump Spooner to clear more cap....

I like the cut of your jib, young fellow me lad. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Well they do get the Clarkson cap relief, but still will have to make some moves for sure as they still need a couple more roster players too.

Colin Miller and Reaves should be basically free for cap relief.

I wish. I'd say Colin Miller is easily worth a 2nd and a prospect or additional draft pick and I think Reaves would surely get a 3rd rounder as he's still a top 5 modern day enforcer and teams are always looking for more grit and toughness. They'd both be welcome additions IMO.

4 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Gusev, a back-up goalie (Subban is unsigned), Pirri (UFA). Just 13 forwards, 6 D and Fleury under contract.

They're in a tight spot...certainly not nearly as bad a position as the Leafs though.

What a mystery this guy is. Does he absolutely suck at defense or what's his deal? How would he not score 35 goals plaing with Petey? You have to think he comes cheap.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

What a mystery this guy is. Does he absolutely suck at defense or what's his deal? How would he not score 35 goals plaing with Petey? You have to think he comes cheap.

This is a reason I mentioned him. Very low risk signing that would definitely come cheap.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Comparing Gudbranson to Reeves is laughable. One is a legitimate heavyweight, the other, well, isn't.

Totally true.  Our deterrent was Tryamkin and will be again in March.  Even if he doesn’t go around chasing people they will all think twice.  Myers isn’t quite the same but will hit people and stand up for teammates a bit.

3 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Guddy was brought in as a player who could play and stand up for team mates. So yeah he doesn’t compare in a sense he was never a 4th line heavyweight enforcer but he was touted to be a deterrent and was a player proven to stand up to teammates in Florida 

the fact that he proved he was not or did not do validates the danger in taking a player who likely can’t play very well or be a legit contributor to a roster.

id rather have big players like virtanen, leivo and macEwen in the lineup

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

I’m not suggesting it like it’s some crucial piece or signing.

im saying if he can be had for cheap he would be a good fit over the course of the season for specific matchups during the regular season to provide the “safe environment” Jim spoke about.

and imo I’ll take a Ryan reaves that can play 9 minutes per game in the post season doing what he does and only a -1,  (just to lend some legitimacy to +/- for the sake of your point)

edit

ill assume from your post you only looked at the stat lines and didn’t actually watch the playoff games both years.

Actually I did watch the SJS series and most of VGK series last years playoffs.... I don't think I saw too much, perhaps he hit a few guys and I think in 10 playoff games from 2017-18 playoffs he scored 2 goals which is nice... But anyways like you said he's not really a crucial piece or anything.

But look at the insane amount of bottom 6 forwards we have....

Virtanen / Leivo / Beagle / Roussel / Gaudette -- who are all probably worthwhile keeping around in the bottom 6

Sutter, Spooner, Erickson, Schaller  -- if we can't find a way to buyout // move out these guys then it's hard to scratch all of these players.

fringe RFAs like Motte, Granlund -- which I'm probably fine with walking away from these guys

RFA Perron (new guy) whom is waiver eligible so he's likely going to be a 12/13 guy this season

RFA Goldobin -- maybe it's time to walk away, but its believed possible to bring him back 1 more time for a show me or get out.

Zach MacEwen who seems like a potential Reaves that probably is better

Baertschi -- hovering in that top 6 // top 9 area.

My point is that this is all a garbled mess in that forward group I don't really find the allure in adding more into that group until at the very least all of the excess has been dealt with... and there is a lot to deal with that will likely take more than this year to clean up unless if you want to just walk away from most of the RFAs and spend assets // taking less in dumping out some of these onerous contracts.

8 minutes ago, goblix said:

Actually I did watch the SJS series and most of VGK series last years playoffs.... I don't think I saw too much, perhaps he hit a few guys and I think in 10 playoff games from 2017-18 playoffs he scored 2 goals which is nice... But anyways like you said he's not really a crucial piece or anything.

But look at the insane amount of bottom 6 forwards we have....

Virtanen / Leivo / Beagle / Roussel / Gaudette -- who are all probably worthwhile keeping around in the bottom 6

Sutter, Spooner, Erickson, Schaller  -- if we can't find a way to buyout // move out these guys then it's hard to scratch all of these players.

fringe RFAs like Motte, Granlund -- which I'm probably fine with walking away from these guys

RFA Perron (new guy) whom is waiver eligible so he's likely going to be a 12/13 guy this season

RFA Goldobin -- maybe it's time to walk away, but its believed possible to bring him back 1 more time for a show me or get out.

Zach MacEwen who seems like a potential Reaves that probably is better

Baertschi -- hovering in that top 6 // top 9 area.

My point is that this is all a garbled mess in that forward group I don't really find the allure in adding more into that group until at the very least all of the excess has been dealt with... and there is a lot to deal with that will likely take more than this year to clean up unless if you want to just walk away from most of the RFAs and spend assets // taking less in dumping out some of these onerous contracts.

Armchairing I’m saying we get him for cheap as he knows his days are numbered based on age and direction of the nhl.  I’m sure he is aware he may no longer see a regular spot so for the heavy games vs western teams you slot him in over goldobin if necessary and juggle the line every now and again.

takes the load off of Roussel a bit as well.

I would prefer Zac Mac to be able to round out his game as I see more potential for driving play.  As a rookie I wouldn’t want him being the resident policeman.

anyway.  It’s just summer time spitballs.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1