The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] William Karlsson re-signs (8 years, 5.9M AAV)

16 hours ago, goblix said:

We had Guddy whom had that same mantra to him. Turns out it didn't matter lol.

We do have more size with TJ Miller and Pearson in top 6 roles now and Luke Schenn if he resigns, I know these guys aren't the same bruiser that Reaves is but they are at least chippy or have some size to avoid being pushed around.

He had 7 games, 0 points avg 9 minutes of TOI a game and was a -1. His previous post-season stats are similar. 

Look I understand you two  like Reaves because of the intangibles and I'm not opposed into adding him because I do see the use of it.

But really our team if overfilled with bottom 6 forwards and even prospects projected to bottom 6 and most of them would be tough to move off of. Like nobody is going after Erickson, Spooner, Schaller, Beagle and we've heard the reports of Sutter it's really unknown.. 

Reaves would not be my main target if you can get a 2020 first or Miller and Reaves then sure. Otherwise I'd focus on things more worthwhile

Having the only real tough guy on your team a dman was kind of useless. Best tough guys are wingers and are more free to hit and get involved in the offensive zone. Would love to have Reaves here. Maybe Tanev with salary retained could land us Miller and Reaves.

7 hours ago, rekker said:

And the other GM's that dont have this luxury are fine with this? Its ridiculous. 

You'd think they could come up with a formula that would give a market place adjustment for each team, resulting in teams having different salary caps. I can't think of it being a problem in the past but with LV and TB being the powerhouses they are, it certainly creates an uneven playing field. 

Side note - for a guy that just lost a lot of money, JT Miller is sure putting his best foot forward so far. Hopefully he really values the oportunity he'll get in Vancouver. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

22 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You'd think they could come up with a formula that would give a market place adjustment for each team, resulting in teams having different salary caps. I can't think of it being a problem in the past but with LV and TB being the powerhouses they are, it certainly creates an uneven playing field. 

Side note - for a guy that just lost a lot of money, JT Miller is sure putting his best foot forward so far. Hopefully he really values the oportunity he'll get in Vancouver. 

Yip, the no state tax thing is stupid. What if BC was a die hard enough hockey province to have a public vote. We vote in a tax clause that says NHL players pay no provincial income tax. Never happen but say it did. It would be frowned upon around the leugue but would more or less be the same thing. Just stupid. 

Edited by rekker

14 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wouldn't it be nice to get Boeser for similar?

Just settle for 6.6 million for 6 years. Not too low, not too long

Agreed. I hope to see something similar to that for Brock.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:06 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Doesn't Vegas still have to re-sign Nikita Gusev?  I'm thinking they are still in cap purgatory and will need to shed millions to get under $81.5 million.  I would take a look at Shea Theodore and Ryan Reaves.  That would take them out of cap hell and fill two big needs for us.  What would it take to get those two guys?

We already used our firepower on JT Miller.  We have Boeser/Petterson/Hughes contracts coming up you know. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wouldn't it be nice to get Boeser for similar?

Just settle for 6.6 million for 6 years. Not too low, not too long

How many years would it be till he is a UFA? I think they should either do an 8 year deal or a contract which ends the year before he becomes a UFA.

55 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

We already used our firepower on JT Miller.  We have Boeser/Petterson/Hughes contracts coming up you know. 

Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Edler, Tanev, Spooner, Schaller are all off the books by the time Petey and Hughes are up.  That's over $27 million right there.  Plus we are most likely getting rid of Eriksson this year, so a possibility of another $3 million off the books if we retain 50%.  That's $30 million plus any increase in cap space over the next two years.  That's plenty of money to re-sign all 3 players.  We also still have $17 million in cap space this year excluding those contracts.  So we have plenty of money to go out and sign another JT Miller type of contract.  Especially if we let Hutton go.