11 hours ago, Baggins said:

First full seasons here:

Goldy 63 GP - 7g 20a  27pts -10

Ice time per game = 14:59 total - 2:33 pp time per game

Giveaways 33, takeaways 20

Vey 75 GP -  10g 14a 24pts -3 

Ice time per game =  13:10 total - 1:52 pp time per game

Giveaways 28, takeaways 25

Fans wanted Vey gone asap - fans want Goldobin to stay. I don't really see much difference other than Goldy getting more opportunity.

Vey didn't have anything close to Goldy's shot or passing potential tho

the only spot I see for Goldy is on Bo' RW. I don't think Loui will be back there so I guess it will be a battle between Goldy, Leivo and Jake for that spot barring any trades. I'd love to see him figure things out here, he's got so much offensive potential. 

11 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Where is all this JV developing fine crap coming from? He has looks in the top 6 before or on the pp and he has looked terrible.

Goldie has looked good in flashes.

Not sure what kind of crack most people are smoking but JV looks terrible and Goldie has his moments.

Here are Virtanen's advanced stats.  He has been deployed with a defensive focus and I believe TG is grooming him purposely - to be a 200 foot player.  TG has been hard on him and Virtanen has responded.  Compare the TK (takeaway) vs GV (giveaway) / Hits / Zone % starts.  I like how Virtanen is trending and will be more versatile and dependable in the end.  I hope they don't give up on him.  His size and speed are hard to replace.  I hope they add PK duties for him - teams would need to respect his breakaway speed when he is on the PK.

image.png.7ec9df6588adab1745a34ac66a84fc19.png

image.png.7596b0fb02c4ab10e487d1aca3e0a799.png

Here are Goldobins for comparison. Goldobin has been gifted offensive opportunity galore and plays an all around soft/lazy game.  Him I can live without.

image.png.805c5dd3baea74657cfa967e836d33a2.png

image.png.f7bfc920fa4a48bff5cab53a2e9cf492.png

Edited by Borvat

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

First full seasons here:

Goldy 63 GP - 7g 20a  27pts -10

Ice time per game = 14:59 total - 2:33 pp time per game

Giveaways 33, takeaways 20

Vey 75 GP -  10g 14a 24pts -3 

Ice time per game =  13:10 total - 1:52 pp time per game

Giveaways 28, takeaways 25

Fans wanted Vey gone asap - fans want Goldobin to stay. I don't really see much difference other than Goldy getting more opportunity.

Bruh Vey was gifted the most premium ice time in Canucks history... automatically became 1st line PP without ever proving anything. How much time has Goldy spent on even just the 2nd PP? There's a big difference between Edler the Sedins and Vrbata, compared to Granlund Eriksson Stecher and/or Hutton and Sutter...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the only spot I see for Goldy is on Bo' RW. I don't think Loui will be back there so I guess it will be a battle between Goldy, Leivo and Jake for that spot barring any trades. I'd love to see him figure things out here, he's got so much offensive potential. 

Does he though? 

No more than any average top-6 finesse winger, IMO.

We keep proping up this guy’s offensive potential, but we could do that for almost any project player. 

I haven’t seen Goldy do much that I’d be inclined to put him up there as some kind of game changer, offensively. His skill level is high, sure, but so are many AHLers. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Does he though? 

We keep proping up this guy’s offensive potential, but we could do that for almost any project player. 

I haven’t seen Goldy do much that I’d be inclined to put him up there as some kind of game changer, offensively. His skill level is high, sure, but so are many AHLers. 

I think it’s worth patience and this coming from someone who doesn’t have much time for “soft”.....

guy bounced around the lineup a lot.  As Jake was given leash and had it retracted so should Goldy.  Both have moments of not “getting it” and size doesn’t matter if your play is vacant.

i think one more year if with as much consistent linemate time as possible and we may have a player.  If Goldy puts the time in to two way play then he is worth keeping.

• Cheers 1

Don't know why so many are complaining about our bottom feeders on this team. We have many of players who have basically had try outs and failed. Goldobin showed promise and definitely has skill but has failed to put it all together or show continued improvement since coming here. Work ethic and commitment to defense has not been his forte and, to me, this is a character flaw in which I am not sure can be taught.

Virt, on the other hand, has continued to learn the defensive side of his game and has showed continued improvement. He has a flaw, and that's consistency, which may or may not improve over time.

Virt has attributes that we need on this team, speed and aggressive play. I think Virt still has the potential to be more offensive but that will depend on how the coach deploys him from here on out.

Goldy is like a lot of players on this team right now in that he does some things good but does not do a lot of things great. Now is the time to start weeding out these guys and bring the guys in who can play a multitude of different games and have the ability to adapt. No need for one dimensionals on the roster IMO.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think it’s worth patience and this coming from someone who doesn’t have much time for “soft”.....

guy bounced around the lineup a lot.  As Jake was given leash and had it retracted so should Goldy.  Both have moments of not “getting it” and size doesn’t matter if your play is vacant.

i think one more year if with as much consistent linemate time as possible and we may have a player.  If Goldy puts the time in to two way play then he is worth keeping.

It won’t matter one way or another to this team’s chances if Goldy is there or not, IMO. So, patience, sure. 

The team has several fillers inserted into the lineup like we’ve seen on so many rebuilding rosters. 

Whats one more, especially one with skill and youth on their side. 

Maybe Goldy will surprise me in the playoffs. It can happen.

For a few seasons running now, I’ve wanted to see Goldy and Hutton traded.

How about any trade combination involving those two, and possibly Demko, to get Bouchard out of Edmonton, or even just pool party? 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

Cheering for both but with reservations.

If Goldobin is getting lots of ice time (top-6 or bottom-6) then the team likely is in even more trouble than some are suggesting (injuries from among Pearson, Miller, etc). There are better options for the team in either situation for the roles to be played. More ice time for Goldobin could also mean that he showed up to camp in shape, with a great attitude, and put in a lot of effort, enough to take a spot. I am less optimistic that this eventuality will occur.

Virtanen still has potential, but without improvement he looks like he is going to move down. He does benefit (atm) from a lack of significant depth on the right side: Boeser, maybe Miller if he doesn't play the left side, and after that there isn't anyone who is that far ahead (Motte, Eriksson, Granlund).

I see more of a future here for Virtanen. Maybe he'll make it, maybe not.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

42 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Does he though? 

I think he does, every once in a while he makes a brilliant pass but you could be right, maybe its a flash, but he certainly seems to have a very good offensive awareness. If Jake had Goldys vision he'd be a 40 goal scorer.  

I'm all for any player that plays their heart out and supports their teammates. Virtanen has shown what he's capable of, and just needs to make it a consistent effort. He's got some scary speed and power.

Goldobin also has the potential to be a difference maker, but it again comes down to consistency. If he can find that and maintain it, he'll be fine.

I'm a fan of the Canucks, so I'm a fan of these two for sure.

31 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Bruh Vey was gifted the most premium ice time in Canucks history... automatically became 1st line PP without ever proving anything. How much time has Goldy spent on even just the 2nd PP? There's a big difference between Edler the Sedins and Vrbata, compared to Granlund Eriksson Stecher and/or Hutton and Sutter...

Really? Rubbish. Vey wasn't "gifted" anything. He impressed in pre-season, particularly on the PP, to earn what he got to start the regular season and had a decent start to the season as well. When his production stalled his time was reduced and he was scratched games. Some gift. When injuries piled up he moved back up line up because of lack of options. Did he get to the bulk of his ice time with a Pettersson/Boeser like Goldy? No. Vey was mostly third line and 2nd PP unit. He started the year 3rd line and on the 1st PP and produced. He ended the year on 1st PP only when injuries piled up. In between got what he earned - which was less.

I'd say Goldy was gifted far more ("in Canucks history" :lol:) due to lack of options than Vey was. Goldy didn't drop often until trades brought in better options. Prior to that he played pretty regularly with Petey and Boes even strength and on the PP. Now that's a gift.

37 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It won’t matter one way or another to this team’s chances if Goldy is there or not, IMO. So, patience, sure. 

The team has several fillers inserted into the lineup like we’ve seen on so many rebuilding rosters. 

Whats one more, especially one with skill and youth on their side. 

Maybe Goldy will surprise me in the playoffs. It can happen.

For a few seasons running now, I’ve wanted to see Goldy and Hutton traded.

How about any trade combination involving those two, and possibly Demko, to get Bouchard out of Edmonton, or even just pool party? 

If this was a straight swap I’d be curious.

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Here are Virtanen's advanced stats.  He has been deployed with a defensive focus and I believe TG is grooming him purposely - to be a 200 foot player.  TG has been hard on him and Virtanen has responded.  Compare the TK (takeaway) vs GV (giveaway) / Hits / Zone % starts.  I like how Virtanen is trending and will be more versatile and dependable in the end.  I hope they don't give up on him.  His size and speed are hard to replace.  I hope they add PK duties for him - teams would need to respect his breakaway speed when he is on the PK.

image.png.7ec9df6588adab1745a34ac66a84fc19.png

image.png.7596b0fb02c4ab10e487d1aca3e0a799.png

Here are Goldobins for comparison. Goldobin has been gifted offensive opportunity galore and plays an all around soft/lazy game.  Him I can live without.

image.png.805c5dd3baea74657cfa967e836d33a2.png

image.png.f7bfc920fa4a48bff5cab53a2e9cf492.png

Stats are great and all but he still has to fix his two glaring issues that goldie doesn’t have. Keep your feet moving and dint just stand there like a duff when your team mates are anticipating plays. 

Receive hard passes and the occasional weak shot with speed and keep plays alive.

Virtanen looks horrible in the top 6. And I don’t think he beats pure bottom 6 in their roles either.

Edit. JV is basically the antithesis of the entire St Louis blues philosophy. Berube said he hates losing control of the play from low percentage shots or just dumping the puck away. JV treats the puck like a hot potato and the play ends and dies on his stick every time.

So I don’t get why people want him on the top 6.

Edited by Tomatoes11

Jake has a higher upside due to his speed and size. Let's see what Goldobin does over the summer, maybe he comes back bigger and more aggressive? Same with Jake, hopefully he's not pi**ing away his summer at the lake or partying. They may need to move on from both players.