The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's Cheering for Goldy & Jake?

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

I'm cheering for both. Goldy's in tough as his window and opportunity is narrowing. Jake I have hope for. When I watch Jake what I see is a player that hustles and does a lot of things right. He hounds the puck, is really good on back checking and takeaways, but on offence still tends to play a perimeter game. His 'go to' move when he drives the net is to circle around the back. Defenders on opposing teams must have a book on his habits, it's so predictable. Force him outside and he won't challenge them.

If he could learn from Bo to drive the net harder and play offence in the harder areas he would open up a ton of space for teammates. I can't help but think if he finally puts it together and 'gets it', he could be another Bertuzzi. Milbury gave up on Bertuzzi at 23 and I remember his comments after the trade:

"If I ever felt [Bertuzzi] was going to fulfill his potential, I'd be a fool to make the deal, because his potential is so vast." The Islanders have spent three years trying to tap into that potential. "He's been hugged and kissed and educated," Milbury said. "We tried everything short of bamboo shoots under the fingernails."

Don't give up on Jake; his potential is so vast. :emot-parrot:

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Joe Blough said:

I'm cheering for both. Goldy's in tough as his window and opportunity is narrowing. Jake I have hope for. When I watch Jake what I see is a player that hustles and does a lot of things right. He hounds the puck, is really good on back checking and takeaways, but on offence still tends to play a perimeter game. His 'go to' move when he drives the net is to circle around the back. Defenders on opposing teams must have a book on his habits, it's so predictable. Force him outside and he won't challenge them.

If he could learn from Bo to drive the net harder and play offence in the harder areas he would open up a ton of space for teammates. I can't help but think if he finally puts it together and 'gets it', he could be another Bertuzzi. Milbury gave up on Bertuzzi at 23 and I remember his comments after the trade:

"If I ever felt [Bertuzzi] was going to fulfill his potential, I'd be a fool to make the deal, because his potential is so vast." The Islanders have spent three years trying to tap into that potential. "He's been hugged and kissed and educated," Milbury said. "We tried everything short of bamboo shoots under the fingernails."

Don't give up on Jake; his potential is so vast. :emot-parrot:

Great quote and a very appropriate comparison. The missing ingredients for Jake are confidence and offensively gifted linemates. I am rooting for Jake in a big way, not as much Goldy, though I most certainly want to see him put it all together.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Here are some of my many questions surrounding Goldy:

1. Does he work hard?

Coach Green says he's really trying, and listens.

2. He's 23, He played 38 games the year prior to last, and 63 games last year. Are we ready to give up on him?

This one kills me because last year was his first full-ish year and like many first year players outside the Van-City microscope, they struggle from time to time. I mean, the kid DID have 8 G and 6 A in the 38 games he played prior to last year which was without EP40. 

He does not actually have 4 full years of experience in the NHL. He had 63 Games last year, half season the year prior and not much besides that.

2015-2016: 9 NHL Games with SJS

2016-2017: 2 Nhl Games with SJS, 2 With VAN

3. Does he have a spot on this team?

I think Goldy has just as much of a spot as JV. 

4. Speaking of JV, who do you think is closer to breaking out and becoming a top 6 stud?

They are different players, and have different issues. Jake needs to use his frame more and Goldy needs to let go of the puck quicker. Plain and simple. That's how cut and dry their situations are when I watch them play every night. There have been instances where we see them doing this, which makes us hungrier for that version of them. 

The Breakout:

Jake uses straight line speed and gets the puck into the O-Zone.

Goldobin makes some very nice dekes to get into the O-Zone. Please Goldy, shoot the puck or use the playmaking ability we've seen to make a pass. Don't hold on to it for that long. 

I see Kapanen in Goldy next year. I feel the issues surrounding him are minimal, and if he's coachable, they can be fixed. Im talking video, drills, or maybe even puck handling classes if he really cant give up the puck a second faster.

(funny enough, when I looked Kasperi up, they have a similar GP history, and a similar stat line, Kapanen with the edge of course)

Let the community know what your thoughts on these players are! Go Canucks Go!

We have such a passionate fan base but lets give it to JB for stealing Podkolzin and Hoglander at the draft, and adding a top-6 player to our roster! With what we have now in Petey and Brock and Quinn and Bo etc, we have to actively start trying to win, because all the pieces are there, or hopefully will be after FA & trade.

First of all... some great questions to consider.

Totally agree, I'm cheering for these guys as well and I'd love nothing more than the both of them to jump up the lineup and improve their production. But at this point (as you pointed out) they dont have particularly impressive stat lines.

I think Goldy may have a higher chance of cracking the top 6 just due to the type of player he is with some good skill and skating ability, but both of these need to shine before he can make a good shot at a solid top 6 role.

Jake to me is a very capable 3rd liner and on a good team he could put up some nice point totals, but his playing style currently shows me that he can work hard and make good hits but he isn't a consistently capable scorer. Until JV improves that quality, theres no room for him in our top 6. We really need good scoring forwards in those roles and frankly, Jake could make a great grinding top 6 guy that makes big hits and forces turnovers while being able to score goals and keep up with some of the faster guys, but he just hasnt proved that ability to be a more dynamic player yet.

I have faith in Virtanen. He has been progressing well in my opinion.
Last year he was 2nd on our team in hits, 1st in takeaways, and had the best giveaway vs turnover differential. Sometimes, he skates straight into a turnover, which is why people cite low IQ, but he doesn't actually lose the puck that much. 
He's a great puckhound, and as his east-west game develops, he will get better at fishing up pucks for more offensive linemates.

Next season, I see him scoring 20+ goals, with 16 minutes of average ice time.

Goldobin I'm less sure of. He has tantalizing skill, and flashed chemistry with Pettersson, but disappears for stretches of time--only being noticeable when he holds onto the puck too long and gives it up.
Still, I'm glad we qualified him, because the potential is there. 

3 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Bertuzzi has hockey sense from the start. He was just learning how to use his size more properly to his advantage. JV isn’t even close to the same type of prospect.

actually kind of think about it, Bertuzzi as an Islander as comparison is closer to Goldobin if anything. Bert at that time was pretty obvious that he had the hands, and would show flashes of brilliance, but same problem, defensive lapses and questionable work ethic. Its almost as if he forgot that he was a big guy too. It wasn't until Bert got to Vancouver was when "ok, I can dangle through guys, but I can run over them too". Thats what drove Milbury bonkers that a big guy that can be a wizard with the puck, imagine if he can do that AND use his big frame to overpower D-men  (along with a mean streak). Lucky for us we got #44 when he reached his peak because he was a joy to watch.

I am cheering for both of them and think they both finished their biggest development years.  This is the year that they take another step.  As part of the ever changing line combos I could see a couple times combining the following:

Miller Horvat Virtanen

It would give Virtanen two mentors for the game he needs to play.  I think he would emulate the other two more if they were all grouped together on the same line.  They can continue to coach him on the little things they do on getting to the net and being puck hounds.

Virtanen did score 15 mostly on the 3rd line.   What if we give him more looks with EP40 and Horvat this year?  I expect 20 goals.

Baertchi   Horvat    Pearson

JT             EP         Boeser

Leivo        Gaudette   Virtanen  

Roussel    Beagle      Sutter

Extra:  Motte ,Goldy , Spooner ,Schaller

Goldobin can play. He sees the ice well and can make plays in the offensive zone. He just needs a bit more seasoning in the defensive end. He has tremendous hands. 

Virtanen on the otherhand has never shown he has any hockey sense in the offensive zone in terms of playmaking. His teammates make fun of him for having tunnel vision for a reason. Hes a straight line player. Skate into the offensive zone and shoot. Usually players like this have a hard time learning to see the full ice and use other players. 

I find Virtanen has a much steeper slope to climb to be a consistent and productive NHL player in the top 6. Otherwise hes a decent 3rd/4th liner 

This season is huge for goldobin in terms of development, if he can show he can be consistent on both sides of the rink he can be a legit 2nd line player

On 6/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, NaveJoseph said:

I have faith in Virtanen. He has been progressing well in my opinion.
Last year he was 2nd on our team in hits, 1st in takeaways, and had the best giveaway vs turnover differential. Sometimes, he skates straight into a turnover, which is why people cite low IQ, but he doesn't actually lose the puck that much. 
He's a great puckhound, and as his east-west game develops, he will get better at fishing up pucks for more offensive linemates.

Next season, I see him scoring 20+ goals, with 16 minutes of average ice time.

Goldobin I'm less sure of. He has tantalizing skill, and flashed chemistry with Pettersson, but disappears for stretches of time--only being noticeable when he holds onto the puck too long and gives it up.
Still, I'm glad we qualified him, because the potential is there. 

I suspect some are confusing hockey IQ and creativity. I don't see Jake as low IQ as he makes smart plays, has really inproved his positional play, and his defensive game. But he tends to be a north south player that isn't particularly creative on the fly though.

Goldobin I'm also unsure of for the same reasons. It's not just he holds the puck too long, it's his trying to play the puck through defenders that gets me. It often results in breakaways or odd man rushes going the wrong way. This seems to go largely ignored on this board because of his offensive ability, but he can be such a liability too often.

• Cheers 1