The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

POLL: What would be a good Tyler Myers' Contract?

Rate this topic

Vinny in Vancouver

Tyler Myers Contract  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 x $6.5MM or 6 x $6MM but it will likely be more. 

I am on the fence with Myers but there aren't many options out there without giving up assets the Canucks just can't afford to give up. 

Next year we add Tyson as a UFA :) 

Edler - Barrie

Hughes - Myers

Tryamkin/Benn - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Could be worse.

Edited by Borvat

I said 6.5 at 4 years.

Because hes going to want to get paid,and he can go elsewhere to get it and be paid. We cant make him the highest paid player on the team. Hes worth 6.5 considering market value.  Four years is a good term, because it doesn't handcuff us in the future. Hughes will be making big dough, and we will have both the Russian kids in our system by then.

I’d pay him one year deals of 10 a year before I went long term.

I was always told on here that it’s not my money when I commented on what JB paid all his prized UFAs, so why would money matter now?

There’s no Leafs-like cap crunch coming to Van in the next few years. 

Think Braydon Coburn and what a disaster his old contract was before you think of locking up this player. 

He’s gettting 7x7 I’m hearing goodnight benning, trAding away our first when rebuilding for a guy who is a fifty pt player on a first line in Tampa, and Myers is awful his upside is his size and he barely uses it.

he makes the occcazional good play I watched him in buffalo all the time and on the jets, he doesent deserve four million let alone seven.

bye benning

10 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Short term? 

it is absolutely worth it. 

Have you seen Hutton's turnovers? Or Tanev's injury history. 

Our blueline is Vanilla and we need a monster like Myers to help right the ship 

Yeah but he's never coming here for "short term". He wants 7x7. That's ridiculous. And Myers may be a huge dude but he doesn't use his size as much as you think he does... he's been sheltered from that by a guy like Dustin Byfuglien.

And we've got a monster coming back in Tryamkin. Although the idea of Tryamkin and Myers does really excite me, there's gotta be a walkaway number.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers is a big strong guy.  There is no reason to think he won't stay at this level of play until he's 35.  

I was trying to make sense of some pink and blue fancy guy charts regarding Myers. It seems to me Myers best seasons were with Sekera. Who do we have that plays like Sekea.... steady left side presence.... 

Maybe a pairing of Edler-Myers bring the best out of Myers again? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was trying to make sense of some pink and blue fancy guy charts regarding Myers. It seems to me Myers best seasons were with Sekera. Who do we have that plays like Sekea.... steady left side presence.... 

Maybe a pairing of Edler-Myers bring the best out of Myers again? 

I think JB sees Myers as his Chara (minus the nasty side)  JB wants to get a big guy on D, who can play hard minutes.  That allows the younger guys we have coming along to be sheltered.  I agree with you that Edler and Myers would be our number one pair, and play the toughest minutes.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think JB sees Myers as his Chara (minus the nasty side)  JB wants to get a big guy on D, who can play hard minutes.  That allows the younger guys we have coming along to be sheltered.  I agree with you that Edler and Myers would be our number one pair, and play the toughest minutes.  

the trickle down effect is Tanev gets a few lighter minutes, which hopefully means fewer injuries. Also a great partner for Hughes imo. So there's a team effect that is worth something. Not 7x7 something, but something. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

Look, the guy is an upgrade on D. He is worth money in today's market, and it will take a big contract to get him. We could start to fight for a spot in the next year or two and start to contend with the maturation of our young guys within 2- 4. So he would be worth it. The problem is the value of the contract in the later years, and the cap situation in 4 or 5 years.

So if it needed to be 7x7 to land him. Could we not do something like $49 Million over 7 years, but broken down in a way that doesn't hinder us.

Something like:

Year 1: 10 Million

Year 2: 9 Miliion

Year 3: 7 Million

Year 4: 6 Million

Year 5: 6 Million

Years 6 and 7: 5.5 Million

Right? Years 5, 6 and 7 where we would be worried of him dropping off at age 34, 35, 36 his cap hit is less and the Percentage of that hit on the cap at that time will no doubt be tremendously smaller than it is now. Which would mean he is either at a fair deal, or moveable in the least.

(Like actually though, I'm asking if this is realistic, or if there is a rule that prevents this kind of manipulation of the money over long term deals?)

If that can be done, then I would have next to no issue with his signing, because it does not hinder us in the future like people seem to be afraid of. 6 Mil or 5.5 Mil in 5 years is going to be peanuts.

Edited by Tunderwood