The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Judd Bracket's 2019 Draft Summary

Rate this topic

Bissurnette

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

I meant he breaks down what they see in each guy and why they drafted them...

Got'cha.  Yes, in that way he is quite articulate.  I appreciate that he just doesn't speak about the prospects in 'cliche' terms although sometimes that's somewhat unavoidable I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Judd has been the man behind our recent drafting success. Very lucky we have him

He seems like he has a very good grasp on player evaluation and is a good communicator .Probably a big part of getting everyone on the same page.

Its one thing to go out and evaluate talent, it’s another to be able to identify the characteristics your team is looking for in a player. He seems to be able to do that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Got'cha.  Yes, in that way he is quite articulate.  I appreciate that he just doesn't speak about the prospects in 'cliche' terms although sometimes that's somewhat unavoidable I suppose. 

Exactly. It's pretty refreshing to see. You can actually get a little bit of insight in how they assess prospects.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Actually he wasn’t.  There was a guy that lived near where he played and got Delmore to come and see him...I’m sorry I can’t remember his name right now but he was adamant that he come and wouldn’t leave them alone until he did.  He’s an old scout for the franchise I’d have to look through some old mags to find his name.   Delmore got the credit for it, and if course he deserves a lot of it,  but without this other guy this would have never happened and we’d have Glass.

This story sounds A LOT like how Benning retold the story of how Delorme 'insisted' that the Canucks look at Pettersson. Are you sure you're not misremembering this story?

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Delorme was the first to identify Pettersson before Benning and his other scouts at 14 years old. Benning credits Delorme for his find.

I think a lot of people, including myself, have been wrong about Delorme.

Was it not Thomas Gradin? Didn't he say draft 

Petey or i walk?

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Delorme was the first to identify Pettersson before Benning and his other scouts at 14 years old. Benning credits Delorme for his find.

I think a lot of people, including myself, have been wrong about Delorme.

I just said people talked about Delorme a lot which is something you dont necessarily want with scouts because its usually the negative  lol.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Actually he wasn’t.  There was a guy that lived near where he played and got Delmore to come and see him...I’m sorry I can’t remember his name right now but he was adamant that he come and wouldn’t leave them alone until he did.  He’s an old scout for the franchise I’d have to look through some old mags to find his name.   Delmore got the credit for it, and if course he deserves a lot of it,  but without this other guy this would have never happened and we’d have Glass.

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Was it not Thomas Gradin? Didn't he say draft 

Petey or i walk

Let's put this to rest.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-petterssons-smarts-skill-and-will-became-perfect-package-for-canucks

Canucks general manager Jim Benning first saw Pettersson at the 2017 world junior championship. And even though he only had one assist in six games (Sweden placed fourth), Benning couldn’t take his eyes off him.

“Every time he touched the puck, he made something happen,” recalled Benning. “That’s the first thing that jumped out at me — his ability and vision to see where everybody was. And with the accurate release on his shot, he didn’t take much time and could rip it.”

It was the same story when chief amateur scout Ron Delorme and director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett saw Pettersson do his thing. It got to the point where Delorme was adamant the slick Swede had to be on top of the club’s draft board.

“Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us saw him,” recalled Benning. “He was in my office and said: ‘We’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.”

I thought (wrongly) that Delorme was incompetent, but clearly I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Realistically, what else is he going to say to the media moments after bringing these guys into the organization? 

"Very excited to bring X player into the organization, we definitely feel like he's a steal for where we got him. As for Y player, total bust, waste of a pick, but we didn't know who else to take so whatever. Z player is okay but probably will cap out at the AHL level. I don't even know who we took with our 7th rounder."

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This story sounds A LOT like how Benning retold the story of how Delorme 'insisted' that the Canucks look at Pettersson. Are you sure you're not misremembering this story?

Nope..the source was THN, EP was on the cover and the lead story.  Went looking for it and went back to see if I could find some posts I made on it when it came out earlier this year.  The guy watched EP all the time and contacted other scouts in the Canucks .org to get them down there.   If I could figure out how to scroll back and look at previous posts from a few months ago I’m sure I could get the name... wife probably recycled the mag as it’s not in the recent pile or in the basement with the rest of them.  To be continued will try and get the specifics, but they are definitely on this site already.   If I find it and it’s Delmore I’m going to see a dr soon about memory loss ha ha.

• Cheers 2

Just now, IBatch said:

Nope..the source was THN, EP was on the cover and the lead story.  Went looking for it and went back to see if I could find some posts I made on it when it came out earlier this year.  The guy watched EP all the time and contacted other scouts in the Canucks .org to get them down there.   If I could figure out how to scroll back and look at previous posts from a few months ago I’m sure I could get the name... wife probably recycled the mag as it’s not in the recent pile or in the basement with the rest of them.  To be continued will try and get the specifics, but they are definitely on this site already.   If I find it and it’s Delmore I’m going to see a dr soon about memory loss ha ha.

I don't know about the The Hockey News source, but I quoted a passage from Ben Kuzma (or Ken Buzma as I was about to type) from the Province.

I mean... Benning could be giving Delorme credit because of blackmailed material, as the conspiracy theorists like to claim due to the fact that he has survived ALL the regime changes... I think at this point, we are better off just accepting that Delorme isn't garbage.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't know about the The Hockey News source, but I quoted a passage from Ben Kuzma (or Ken Buzma as I was about to type) from the Province.

I mean... Benning could be giving Delorme credit because of blackmailed material, as the conspiracy theorists like to claim due to the fact that he has survived ALL the regime changes... I think at this point, we are better off just accepting that Delorme isn't garbage.

I read it and I am going to say there is more to the story then Ben Kuzma and the Benning quote about Delmore...they did say in the article that they scouted him 90 times...the guy that was watching him play lived close by and watched him play pretty much every game and asked the Canucks to come and scout him more..damn ... I will get back as soon as I can with the particulars...

Edit:

The full story is in the Jan 28 2019 Rookie Issue, featuring EP on the cover...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Bennings not so much as giving credit as just making a statement about his insistence that they take him.  Delmore isn’t the guy I’m like 98% sure, tried to go back and look for the posts but it wouldn’t let me go beyond March for whatever reason... will keep looking at let you know when I can..

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bennings not so much as giving credit as just making a statement about his insistence that they take him.  Delmore isn’t the guy I’m like 98% sure, tried to go back and look for the posts but it wouldn’t let me go beyond March for whatever reason... will keep looking at let you know when I can..

No, that is incorrect. Credit was given to Delorme when Benning literally said “Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us saw him,”

I'm not sure at all how you can say what you said above.

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

No, that is incorrect. Credit was given to Delorme when Benning literally said “Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us saw him,”

I'm not sure at all how you can say what you said above.

Exactly.  Loud voice would be the instistance, and of us saw him could be referring to Benning and Bracket specifically.   Listen i was hoping it would shake something loose with another CDCer that also reads THN mags, the entire story about how the Canucks discovered him is in their Rookie Issue from Jan 28 2019, EPs first cover.    Unless Delmore lives where EP and Dahlén were playing together and watching them every game, he’s not the guy that discovered him , he’s the guy that was contacted by the guy that did...it’s all in the story, feel free to spend 5.99 and get the issue and read all about it yourself.   Taking this statement and blanket giving the credit happens the be coming from Ben Kuzma of the province , lazy  journalism really.

Im sure Delmore was a big reason for them making the selection, but saying he discovered him is  not giving credit where it’s due.

Edited by IBatch

Delorme has been chief scout since 2000. 

That means he's been making decisions since Burke has been here right through to Gillis and the current GM. 

Ever since Benning and Brackett the drafting has been significantly better. 

Nathan Smith, Pat White, Brendan Gaunce. All under his watch. 

Maybe Pettersson is so good, that Delorme wasn't blind. That doesn't make him a great scout. Unless the Canucks bad picks were

not Delorme's choices but the previous GM's choices? 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Delorme has been chief scout since 2000. 

That means he's been making decisions since Burke has been here right through to Gillis and the current GM. 

Ever since Benning and Brackett the drafting has been significantly better. 

Nathan Smith, Pat White, Brendan Gaunce. All under his watch. 

Maybe Pettersson is so good, that Delorme wasn't blind. That doesn't make him a great scout. Unless the Canucks bad picks were

not Delorme's choices but the previous GM's choices? 

Usually the GM weighs in on the first overall pick for the team, after that not so much in a quickly declining scale.  It’s also to be noted that so far only 7 guys since 2001 have gone on to play 200 nhl games for the third round on.   Hitting on first rounders is the easy thing, of course you don’t always get them right but most get a lot of chances before they don’t anymore.  JV is undeniably a NHL player, but he’s not what we hoped either.  Also only 68% of first rounders make it to 200 games... 

What I’m saying is we haven’t exactly been knocking it out of the park with out later picks...less then 10% for all of them together past the second round.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Exactly.  Loud voice would be the instistance, and of us saw him could be referring to Benning and Bracket specifically.   Listen i was hoping it would shake something loose with another CDCer that also reads THN mags, the entire story about how the Canucks discovered him is in their Rookie Issue from Jan 28 2019, EPs first cover.    Unless Delmore lives where EP and Dahlén were playing together and watching them every game, he’s not the guy that discovered him , he’s the guy that was contacted by the guy that did...it’s all in the story, feel free to spend 5.99 and get the issue and read all about it yourself.   Taking this statement and blanket giving the credit happens the be coming from Ben Kuzma of the province , lazy  journalism really.

Im sure Delmore was a big reason for them making the selection, but saying he discovered him is  not giving credit where it’s due.

Well Benning was the one who gave the credit to Delorme so... it's not Kuzma's fault that that happened.

Based on what you said, maybe Delorme himself took credit for someone else's work, but that is a very serious charge and I'm not prepared to make this accusation without some kind of proof.

The 'guy' you keep talking about doesn't even seem to be employed by the Canucks.