The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scientists discover giant freshwater reservoir beneath the Atlantic ocean

https://globalnews.ca/news/5427410/atlantic-ocean-freshwater-reservoir/?utm_source=Other&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

A gigantic, freshwater reservoir has been discovered beneath the Atlantic Ocean, stretching from Massachusetts to New Jersey, according to a new study.

Scientists at Columbia University made the discovery during a multi-year survey of the sub-seafloor off the U.S. Northeast coast.

The study, published in the journal Scientific Reports on June 18 says the aquifer stretches from the shore at least from Massachusetts to New Jersey and extends more-or-less continually out about 50 miles to the edge of the continental shelf.

If it were on the surface, researchers say it would create a lake covering about 15,000 square miles.

“Our data suggest a continuous submarine aquifer system spans at least 350 km of the U.S. Atlantic coast and contains about 2800 km3 of low-salinity groundwater,” the study reads.

According to researchers, the aquifer was found trapped in porous sediments lying beneath the ocean.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PrideInThisTeam said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5427410/atlantic-ocean-freshwater-reservoir/?utm_source=Other&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

A gigantic, freshwater reservoir has been discovered beneath the Atlantic Ocean, stretching from Massachusetts to New Jersey, according to a new study.

Scientists at Columbia University made the discovery during a multi-year survey of the sub-seafloor off the U.S. Northeast coast.

The study, published in the journal Scientific Reports on June 18 says the aquifer stretches from the shore at least from Massachusetts to New Jersey and extends more-or-less continually out about 50 miles to the edge of the continental shelf.

If it were on the surface, researchers say it would create a lake covering about 15,000 square miles.

“Our data suggest a continuous submarine aquifer system spans at least 350 km of the U.S. Atlantic coast and contains about 2800 km3 of low-salinity groundwater,” the study reads.

According to researchers, the aquifer was found trapped in porous sediments lying beneath the ocean.

And the leviathan that was also trapped in porous sediments has been released. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Honestly this is kinda good news for us Canadians. The US has been relying on us too much for fresh water supply. I fear that one day with how things are drying up down there they would come get our water by force if needed. Finding this resevoir allows them to tap into their own reserves and be more self reliant. If they develop a water pipeline out from the resevoir zone and deliver it out to the dry areas of the mid and southern states we could potentially see a major reduction in our fresh water leaving our own damn country and quit over taxing our water sheds. Good news to me.

• Upvote 1

Not too surprising.  

IIRC, there's been some studies mentioning about how there's actually way more water within the earth than all of the oceans combined.  

Probably entirely possible that in the future, some huge freshwater cache reduces the salinity of parts of the oceans, thus creating more ice and affecting global temperatures, much like how the previous ice age occurred.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Not too surprising.  

IIRC, there's been some studies mentioning about how there's actually way more water within the earth than all of the oceans combined.  

Probably entirely possible that in the future, some huge freshwater cache reduces the salinity of parts of the oceans, thus creating more ice and affecting global temperatures, much like how the previous ice age occurred.  

This was another big find in the relatively recent past...

https://newatlas.com/freshwater-reserves-under-sea/30072/

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

god is funny 

Thanks, I now have Depeche Mode stuck in my head...

'I don't want to start 
Any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's 
Got a sick sense of humor 
And when I die
I expect to find Him laughing'

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, I now have Depeche Mode stuck in my head...

'I don't want to start 
Any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's 
Got a sick sense of humor 
And when I die
I expect to find Him laughing'

Obviously there are

things on your chest

you need to confess.

• Haha 1