The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Year's HHOF Class Announced

Rate this topic

HKSR

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pretty weak HHOF class, compared the previous years. Hayley is great though best woman to ever play the game. 

Congrats to the group, but I kind of agree with you on the strength of this group. 

But then again, I'm not 100% certain on the criteria to be nominated/selected.

Likely some political correctness (not talking about Hayley - she's legendary) and popularity undoubtedly play an unspoken/unwritten role sadly, but like I said, I'm not certain of the criteria.

Edited by Fanuck

Guy Carbonneau has no business being in the Hall of Fame.  Seriously brings the standard down.  I watched him play with Montreal and he was a great utility player, but nowhere close to the HOF.  

I'm a bit torn in regards to Carbonneau being inducted.  The HHOF has generally been all about the offensive production of players, but rarely touches on the other aspects of the game.  Carbonneau is probably one of the best defensive forwards to ever play the game.  Hence the 3 Selke trophies.  Perhaps the HHOF is moving towards recognizing those that not only show up a ton on the scoreboard, but also those that excel in their role?

In terms of Zubov, I still say he's highly underrated.  Playing the majority of his career in the lowest scoring era of the NHL, he likely would have scored 80-100pts a season outside of that era. 

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Wickenheiser is one of the few female players I could see actually succeeding in the NHL. Congrats to her and the rest of the inductees.

lol, come on man. She is a great female player. Best of all time. No chance of survival in the NHL... Thats just crazy talk.

• Upvote 4

Wickenheiser was the one surefire lock, and Zubov picked up a lot of chatter over recent months. But Carbonneau? Nedomansky? When Vinny LeCavalier was a first-time ballot? When the likes of Fleury, Roenick, Alfredsson, Brind'Amour, Mogilny, Turgeon, Osgood and CuJo still await the call?

Part of me wonders whether this was deliberate to ensure that Wickenheiser was the story, not one of the old boys. Which would be a positive move, but you'd hope to see Jarome Iginla flanked by at least two of those guys next year, if not three.

48 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Guy Carbonneau has no business being in the Hall of Fame.  Seriously brings the standard down.  I watched him play with Montreal and he was a great utility player, but nowhere close to the HOF.  

He was more than just a utility player.  He was ELITE defensively and those Selke’s are an indication of that.  When I think of utility player, I think of Higgins.  Now my beef with his selection was that he was mediocre offensively.  Two-way player?  Not a chance.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

She was only able to play in like Division 3 in Finland or something.

That being said, one heck of a female hockey player and this is a hockey hall of fame, thus it's right that she should be inducted.  I'm actually surprised it wasn't sooner.  

Cheers, thanks for the info. I assumed that because she was a star and quite big by female standards that she might be able to hold her own. Didn't know that she actually tried to compete with men at any level.

Glad Carbonneau is in.  I don't see any cause for complaint or claims about a slippery slope.  He was kind of like the forward version of Rod Langway, but with great playoff success added.  Three Selke Trophies, three Stanley Cups and being a captain of a Stanley Cup team...plus certainly respectable offensive numbers isn't going to open the floodgates for the, I don't know, Joel Ottos or Mike McPhees of the world to get into the HHOF.

I don't have a problem with Zubov but he certainly shouldn't get in before Doug Wilson.

Nedomansky is an interesting one and I'm glad he's in.  The story of the NHL and the Iron Curtain should be fleshed out for people interested in the history of the game.

Still, if they're going to take these years to start attending to overlooked candidates, I'd probably have had Barrasso, Vernon, Doug Wilson, Bernie Nicholls, Mogilny, Fleury as the top priorities.

And I've always thought John Ross Roach from the 1920s-30s is a long overlooked guy that should be re-examined.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Glad Carbonneau is in.  I don't see any cause for complaint or claims about a slippery slope.  He was kind of like the forward version of Rod Langway, but with great playoff success added.  Three Selke Trophies, three Stanley Cups and being a captain of a Stanley Cup team...plus certainly respectable offensive numbers isn't going to open the floodgates for the, I don't know, Joel Ottos or Mike McPhees of the world to get into the HHOF.

I don't have a problem with Zubov but he certainly shouldn't get in before Doug Wilson.

Nedomansky is an interesting one and I'm glad he's in.  The story of the NHL and the Iron Curtain should be fleshed out for people interested in the history of the game.

Still, if they're going to take these years to start attending to overlooked candidates, I'd probably have had Barrasso, Vernon, Doug Wilson Bernie Nicholls, Mogilny, Fleury as the top priorities.

Carbonneau was one of the great shutdown centers of his generation.  No issue with excellent defensive players getting recognition. 

Vladimir Konstantinov is my guy for overlooked candidates.  Best shutdown defenseman of his generation, and hit like a truck.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I can tell a few people here didn't watch Carbonneau play, he was an elite shutdown forward, and still put up 600+ points while shutting down some of the top lines in the league. 

This is exactly right! A select few individuals had defensive abilities like him. Bob Gainey, Datsyuk, and then a bunch of other players a notch or two down there.He was elite for sure.

• Cheers 1