The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If someone gives Boeser a HUGE offersheets should we match or let him walk and collect the picks?

Rate this topic

Gator

6 hours ago, peaches5 said:

That is a terrible return for a potential 40 goal scorer who is 22 years old. You match it and then trade him a year or so later like the Predators did with Weber.

Preds made a huge mistake... Easy to say in hindsight though. At the time Philly would have had to give them 4 first rounders based on the cap and compensation... 

Instead of 4 firsts from Philly the preds got PK subban and in turn 2 second rounders and a d prospect. 

Over 10.56 you definitely have to let him walk and take the 4 firsts. 

If it's slightly under than and it's only a 2 1sts, 1 second and 1 third, then you probably match that 

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Preds made a huge mistake... Easy to say in hindsight though. At the time Philly would have had to give them 4 first rounders based on the cap and compensation... 

Instead of 4 firsts from Philly the preds got PK subban and in turn 2 second rounders and a d prospect. 

Over 10.56 you definitely have to let him walk and take the 4 firsts. 

If it's slightly under than and it's only a 2 1sts, 1 second and 1 third, then you probably match that 

No they wouldn't have. They only would have gotten 2 firsts and the extra picks.

13 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

So he signs our deal with no other option? That don't sound right

Thats how the CBA is set up.  Same idea when Quinn was coming, the question was will he possibly play 9 or 10 games because once he hit 10 he got arbritration rights and could be signed to offer sheets, at 9 games he would only have burned a year of his ELC.  Lucky for us management never had to make that decision with his foot injury.

13 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Well he would be that much better when their rivals got him LOL

I hope we sign him soon because I'm getting anxious about it 

Could be a long summer for you if they decide to take some time off and re-covene at a later date...

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

No they wouldn't have. They only would have gotten 2 firsts and the extra picks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/flyers-shocked-nhl-shea-weber-offer-sheet-five-years-ago-215427518.html

"Predators had the decision to match the contract or accept four first-round picks from the Flyers, losing Weber in the process." 

Pretty sure it was 4 firsts at the time under the old offer sheet rules. 

Pretty crazy that they rejected 4 firsts and ended up with Subban who they got 2 second rounders for lol 

Just now, apollo said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/flyers-shocked-nhl-shea-weber-offer-sheet-five-years-ago-215427518.html

"Predators had the decision to match the contract or accept four first-round picks from the Flyers, losing Weber in the process." 

Pretty sure it was 4 firsts at the time under the old offer sheet rules. 

Pretty crazy that they rejected 4 firsts and ended up with Subban who they got 2 second rounders for lol 

It was not. I specifically remember it being broken down and because of how the contract was structured with bonuses being paid upfront the average brought it down to 2 first round picks. They had no choice but to sign Weber as losing him for only 2 first round picks and some scraps is a huge loss for the predators.

43 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

It was not. I specifically remember it being broken down and because of how the contract was structured with bonuses being paid upfront the average brought it down to 2 first round picks. They had no choice but to sign Weber as losing him for only 2 first round picks and some scraps is a huge loss for the predators.

You specifically remember wrong.

https://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-won-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

"Had Nashville not matched the offer sheet, the Flyers would have owed the Predators four first round picks in the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 drafts."

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You specifically remember wrong.

https://thehockeywriters.com/philadelphia-won-the-shea-weber-offer-sheet/

"Had Nashville not matched the offer sheet, the Flyers would have owed the Predators four first round picks in the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 drafts."

Everyone said that and then TSN came out a few weeks later and said that was incorrect because of how the salary and bonus were front loaded Nashville would have only have gotten 2 first round picks not the 4.

Match anything up until 8.5mil. The likely compensation for any realistic deal is a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. I'd say he's worth more than that. If someone offers 8.5+ I'd probably let him go. Two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is a lot for him. Especially since 8.5 is an overpayment imo. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Match anything up until 8.5mil. The likely compensation for any realistic deal is a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. I'd say he's worth more than that. If someone offers 8.5+ I'd probably let him go. Two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is a lot for him. Especially since 8.5 is an overpayment imo. 

Boeser is not eligible for an offer sheet, so the point is (as Joey would say) moo.

Moo point.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey lets make this thread relevant. 

Fill in the blank:

What if someone gives Boeser a HUGE ______________________ ?

Conditioner deal.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Everyone said that and then TSN came out a few weeks later and said that was incorrect because of how the salary and bonus were front loaded Nashville would have only have gotten 2 first round picks not the 4.

Every article I find from 2012-2018 says that... But who cares, Nashville matched and they got to keep Weber anyways. Their hands were tied after losing Suter. 

At least their fans can enjoy those 2 second rounders they got for Subban lol 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is not eligible for an offer sheet, so the point is (as Joey would say) moo.

Moo point.gif

Such a good episode... Friends always puts a smile on my face! :)

So glad to hear Brock isn't eligible. If he was Minnesota would be stupid not to offer him 7 years 10.6 mill. Four first rounders to bring home their hometown boy, greatest American man, best looking American ever, etc, would have been a bargain. 

Hope Jim can lock up Brock for 8 years. His looks alone will score 30+ goals every year :lol:

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Find me proof. Also the article i posted was from 2016 if you bothered to read it.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

@Rob_Zepp I know he can't be offer sheeted but if Brock wants to much say like nylander.....would a trade say for tarasenko for Brock work better ?

How much is too much?   While I doubt Tarasenko would be traded for Brock Boeser, why suggest such a thing when we don't even know what the Boeser camp is after let alone what the actual AAV of the deal is.   Nylander's deal was a problem for the league in general (I bet there isn't a GM happy with it) but there sure seems to be a lot of angst about a contract that hasn't been signed yet let alone terms publicly noted from the negotiations.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How much is too much?   While I doubt Tarasenko would be traded for Brock Boeser, why suggest such a thing when we don't even know what the Boeser camp is after let alone what the actual AAV of the deal is.   Nylander's deal was a problem for the league in general (I bet there isn't a GM happy with it) but there sure seems to be a lot of angst about a contract that hasn't been signed yet let alone terms publicly noted from the negotiations.

I don't want to trade him but I don't want to see a Trouba drama here too......

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I don't want to trade him but I don't want to see a Trouba drama here too......

Agreed, that isn't good for the team to have those drawn out "foot out the door" situations but what indications are their Boeser wants to leave?    I don't get that sense whatsoever.