The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If someone gives Boeser a HUGE offersheets should we match or let him walk and collect the picks?

Rate this topic

Gator

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I don't want to trade him but I don't want to see a Trouba drama here too......

Trouba was outspoken about his not resigning in Winnipeg.  Has there been any indication that Boeser wants out of town?  Nope.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Trouba was outspoken about his not resigning in Winnipeg.  Has there been any indication that Boeser wants out of town?  Nope.  

No but I don't want to see the team taken to the bank cause Brock's deal will affect petey's deal.....I'm thinking worse case and it was just an idea. Yikes....I want to keep him...it was just an idea. 

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed, that isn't good for the team to have those drawn out "foot out the door" situations but what indications are their Boeser wants to leave?    I don't get that sense whatsoever.    

It's not the sense he wants to leave....it's just if the  numbers don't work....cap is everything and It was just a theory. Didn't figure it would be like dropping a bomb. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

It's not the sense he wants to leave....it's just if the  numbers don't work....cap is everything and It was just a theory. Didn't figure it would be like dropping a bomb. 

I am sure if there isn't a financial fit, an asset move would have to happen but I have no inkling that is the case.   Do you know something?    Again, I think given the CAP plateauing (I see it coming down actually over next few years, at best staying stable) agents are not stupid, players are not stupid and management of teams are often not stupid (certainly there can be stupidity there).    To that end of aligned non-stupidity, for the most part, it comes down to where a player really wants to be and the trend of having four or five players taking up a massive chunk of CAP will be a diminishing trend when teams see that those teams winning over the next few years are not constructed that way.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am sure if there isn't a financial fit, an asset move would have to happen but I have no inkling that is the case.   Do you know something?    Again, I think given the CAP plateauing (I see it coming down actually over next few years, at best staying stable) agents are not stupid, players are not stupid and management of teams are often not stupid (certainly there can be stupidity there).    To that end of aligned non-stupidity, for the most part, it comes down to where a player really wants to be and the trend of having four or five players taking up a massive chunk of CAP will be a diminishing trend when teams see that those teams winning over the next few years are not constructed that way.

no I don't know a damn thing....like I said it was just a theory if he wants 9 mil a trade might be better cap wise....I wasn't trying to stir the pot....I respect your opinion and figured I would ask yea.....it was like I said if the numbers don't work....and what I meant with Trouba was that he wanted a big contract and Brock doesn't sound like that type of guy but never know what his agent is saying....I agree with you and hope your right about that four of five guys taking up a huge chunk of the cap goes away or there could be another lock out....I was just spit balling....

17 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I am a huge Boeser fan and I am on record saying I believe this guy can become a 40-50 goal scorer 1 day. That being said there is no certainty and there is a bit of injury concern there.

I'm down for a 2-5 year show me deal around 6-7M per, but if someone offers him 7 years $10M+ per should we just let him walk and collect the 3 1st round picks? At least I believe it's 3 1st rounders

We could collect the picks in hopes of them becoming lottery picks and hopefully use that money on Panarin 

If anyone pays that for him, I'm taking the picks laughing all the way.

I love your optimism, but I have serious doubts he's a fifty goal scorer. 

40, maybe, but not 50.

My concerns with Brock is his total lack of intensity. He's extremely passive which, in hockey, can be a killer in the playoffs (Hockey Reference).

A look at his metrics shows a very heavily gaurded player who, almost exclusively starts in the offensive zone at a 77.3% vs only 22.7% starts in the defensive end.

Imo, this shows a lack of trust in his all around game which concerns me long-term. 

In contrast, Bo Horvat started in the defensive zone 59.1% of the time vs 40.9% in the offensive zone. The fact that he could still post 61 pnts is quite impressive when one considers how much time he spent in the defensive zone.

JT Miller is another guy who started 51.4% of his shifts in the defensive zone and was still able to produce 47 pnts, much of which was spent in a bottom six role. Another impressive feet, in some ways more so than Bo's stats considering the bottom six starts.

Both Bo and JT have high compete levels and look able to elevate their games come playoff time.

Though Bo only has 6 games of playoff experience, he produced 4 pnts in those 6 games and exibited willingness to raise the grit level.

JT has 40 games of playoff experience and has 16 points. Again, much of this is in a bottom six role. Not bad.

Podkolzin has these traits in his game and there's little doubt in my mind he is a playoff performer.

In no way, do I see any of this in Boeser. This is concerning to me and causes doubts as to whether or not he's going to be an effective playoff producer.

So, back to the offer sheet question.

With Brock I'm looking at him more as an asset than a player.

It doesn't matter if his value is as an rfa or as a tradeable down the road, I'm looking to maximize on his market value.

Let him go to rfa and see what the offers are and weigh the pros and cons then. 

Worst case scenario, he gets paid slightly more than JB wanted to spend.

This being said, I don't know that he does. First round draft picks are a stiff price to pay. Signing Brock as an rfa is minimum, a first, second, and 3rd. Any compensation below that means he misread his value and JB saves money.

If anybody offers him above 8.5 mil., I'm taking the compensation. If it's under I'm looking at the signing team and projecting where I see them finishing. If I feel they're a lottery team next year, I take the compensation. If I see them in the playoffs, I match..

I believe we are going to be a 7 or 8 playoff team next year. 

I'm keenly interested in what Brock can do in a more pressurised situation and will reserve my opinions on long-term plans involving him for next offseason, assuming he's still here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WolfxHaley said:

Collect the picks! In fact trade everyone for first round picks 

1st round pick-1st round pick-1st round pick

1st round pick-1st round pick

1st round pick 

1st round pick

CDC dream team :frantic:

What, no goalie? It's not enough to assemble a team Oilers style with nothing but draft picks, but they are just trying to compete with no defence, we are going to try it with no goalie?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What, no goalie? It's not enough to assemble a team Oilers style with nothing but draft picks, but they are just trying to compete with no defence, we are going to try it with no goalie?

Can’t have a goalie trying to steal games for us, it’s too risky.

18 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Not a fan of that trade off. I’d rather have them on one more dirt cheap year.

With only two years of data, could be argued that a better long-term deal can be signed after year two given player has much less leverage (less time to prove skills, no arb rights and is not offer sheet eligible). Benefits/negatives to both options but although team misses out on one ELC year, can save on long-term second contract. 

Boeser can’t be offer sheeted but what about Laine for 10.5 for 7 years.  Compensation of two 1sts one 2nd and one 3rd seems very worth it.  We would have to negotiate our first being in 2021 with TB.  Trade for Pool Party too:

Laine Pettersson Puljujarvi 

Miller Horvat Boeser

All offence no defence ::D

9 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

If anyone pays that for him, I'm taking the picks laughing all the way.

I love your optimism, but I have serious doubts he's a fifty goal scorer. 

40, maybe, but not 50.

My concerns with Brock is his total lack of intensity. He's extremely passive which, in hockey, can be a killer in the playoffs (Hockey Reference).

A look at his metrics shows a very heavily gaurded player who, almost exclusively starts in the offensive zone at a 77.3% vs only 22.7% starts in the defensive end.

Imo, this shows a lack of trust in his all around game which concerns me long-term. 

In contrast, Bo Horvat started in the defensive zone 59.1% of the time vs 40.9% in the offensive zone. The fact that he could still post 61 pnts is quite impressive when one considers how much time he spent in the defensive zone.

JT Miller is another guy who started 51.4% of his shifts in the defensive zone and was still able to produce 47 pnts, much of which was spent in a bottom six role. Another impressive feet, in some ways more so than Bo's stats considering the bottom six starts.

Both Bo and JT have high compete levels and look able to elevate their games come playoff time.

Though Bo only has 6 games of playoff experience, he produced 4 pnts in those 6 games and exibited willingness to raise the grit level.

JT has 40 games of playoff experience and has 16 points. Again, much of this is in a bottom six role. Not bad.

Podkolzin has these traits in his game and there's little doubt in my mind he is a playoff performer.

In no way, do I see any of this in Boeser. This is concerning to me and causes doubts as to whether or not he's going to be an effective playoff producer.

So, back to the offer sheet question.

With Brock I'm looking at him more as an asset than a player.

It doesn't matter if his value is as an rfa or as a tradeable down the road, I'm looking to maximize on his market value.

Let him go to rfa and see what the offers are and weigh the pros and cons then. 

Worst case scenario, he gets paid slightly more than JB wanted to spend.

This being said, I don't know that he does. First round draft picks are a stiff price to pay. Signing Brock as an rfa is minimum, a first, second, and 3rd. Any compensation below that means he misread his value and JB saves money.

If anybody offers him above 8.5 mil., I'm taking the compensation. If it's under I'm looking at the signing team and projecting where I see them finishing. If I feel they're a lottery team next year, I take the compensation. If I see them in the playoffs, I match..

I believe we are going to be a 7 or 8 playoff team next year. 

I'm keenly interested in what Brock can do in a more pressurised situation and will reserve my opinions on long-term plans involving him for next offseason, assuming he's still here.

20 plus goals his first two seasons and he is totally passive lol and in the NHL yet. just think if he got some intensity ; )

9 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Boeser can’t be offer sheeted but what about Laine for 10.5 for 7 years.  Compensation of two 1sts one 2nd and one 3rd seems very worth it.  We would have to negotiate our first being in 2021 with TB.  Trade for Pool Party too:

Laine Pettersson Puljujarvi 

Miller Horvat Boeser

All offence no defence ::D

4 x 1st round picks.   

1 minute ago, mll said:

4 x 1st round picks.   

$10,568,590 and below is 2 - 1sts, 1 - 2nd, 1 - 3rd.  I was thinking the upper part of the range and not the 4 1sts range.  That becomes good value in my mind.  Laine etc at that level and Provorov and the level below it.  Something to consider.

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

$10,568,590 and below is 2 - 1sts, 1 - 2nd, 1 - 3rd.  I was thinking the upper part of the range and not the 4 1sts range.  That becomes good value in my mind.  Laine etc at that level and Provorov and the level below it.  Something to consider.

It's divided at most by 5 years.  So a contract of 10.5 x 7 year is 4 x 1st round picks.  

As per the tweet - as of these numbers it's 4 x 1st round picks:

6 years x $8,807,158+/year
7 years x $7,548,993+/year

• Cheers 1