The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sometimes you need to stand up for yourself and not be a doormat. Florida is using this to their advantage, why should we let that go? 

We might not have any choice in the matter.  If there is going to be something done, it will be done privately.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

how do you figure?

Everything Luongo accomplished in Vancouver, Kirk also accomplished while still actually playing the majority of his career here and not having all the baggage Lu does.

I love Lu don’t get me wrong, and in terms of pure ability he was a better goalie but when the smoke clears he was more of a Panther than a Canuck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

how do you figure?

Personally, I don't think McLean's necessarily done more than Luongo. I kind of view them as equals for us since they both made it to the finals. However, considering that, I do agree with him it would be a slap in the face for McLean.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Just now, NucksinNorway said:

I still remember where I was when we traded for Luongo. I was at yvr making the move from Van to Norway. 12 years ago this summer. It was a pleasure experiencing your career, Lu. Happy retirement! 

I wish I could move to Norway or some place like that. Maybe when I finish my computer science degree.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might not have any choice in the matter.  If there is going to be something done, it will be done privately.  

Oh for sure it will. FA has probably already been on the phone with Gary. The fair thing here is to charge it to our LTIR. We're still impacted by it and not let off the hook completely. But to allow Floria to benefit and give us the full pain is punitive. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oh for sure it will. FA has probably already been on the phone with Gary. The fair thing here is to charge it to our LTIR. We're still impacted by it and not let off the hook completely. But to allow Floria to benefit and give us the full pain is punitive. 

Was LA cut any breaks for their cap recapture penalty?

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If I were Aqulini's lawyer (text me Frank) I'd request Bettman allow us to treat the cap recapture money as LTIR since Lu needed to retire due to physical injuries. Its not fair at all that Florida gets to benefit from this at our expense. If not, I'd sue. Even if we lose it sends a message. 

Who are they going to sue?  The league is basically the 31 teams and Bettman works for them.  So wouldn't they be suing themselves?

26 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

A big slap in the face to Kirk McLean who wore number 1 here and accomplished more as a Canuck than Lu. Lu was a better goalie overall but if you’re talking about a player’s time with a franchise then Lu deserves to have his number in the ring of honour with McLean, not retired.

McLean was a great goalie but luongo is one of the best to ever do it . Don’t be a bitter melon.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Right Aquilini should have just not signed it. That would have gone well. Why didn’t he think of that? What a dumbass.

Well I have a lot of experience in labour relations and collective bargaining.

I am afraid sir, it is you that is the dumbass on this one.

In agreeing to collective bargaining, you forego your individual right to bargain.  If your selected representative bargains something you don’t like... you are pooched.

Retroactive things get bargained all the time.  

Sucks to be us, but there isn’t a realistic court or arbitration avenue to challenge it.  The best that we can hope for is to plead with the NHL that it isn’t fair because Luongo is retiring due to injury.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

A big slap in the face to Kirk McLean who wore number 1 here and accomplished more as a Canuck than Lu. Lu was a better goalie overall but if you’re talking about a player’s time with a franchise then Lu deserves to have his number in the ring of honour with McLean, not retired.

Dumbest post of the year.

Luongo:

The 40-year-old finishes his career ranked second all time among goalies with 1,044 games played, third in wins with 489, and ninth in shutouts with 77.

Lui was not just a Canuck legend that owns virtually every goaltending record, but he is also one in the NHL. We all love Kirk, but he was never even close to Lui.

He also won 2 back to back gold medals in the Olympics for Team Canada. 

Edited by StealthNuck
Personal attack removed.
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Who are they going to sue?  The league is basically the 31 teams and Bettman works for them.  So wouldn't they be suing themselves?

Sort of, they'd be seeking an injunction not financial damages. Partners in LLCs or corporate officers can seek injunctions against each others' actions.