Sign in to follow this  
Provost

[Official] Luongo Retires

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not in that instance. He had spoken in length about looking forward to playing the Heritage Classic, and did deserve to play it based on his place on the team. He had every right to be insulted, in my opinion.

He did have an issue keeping his emotions in check during games though. That I agree with.

Had Luongo played though we would never have been treated to this impressive skid mark courtesy of Eddie Lack.

BynSzLxCAAAXv_k.jpg

• Haha 4

One of the most annoying things about this is there isn't anyone valuable on Florida's roster we can offer sheet. 

• Hydration 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

One of the most annoying things about this is there isn't anyone valuable on Florida's roster we can offer sheet. 

I know you're joking, but the sad reality is we can't offersheet anyone for over $4m anyway because we lack the draft pick required for compensation.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

So I am surprised this actually happened. Everybody I have ever heard talk about this on the radio (Kevin Woolley repeatedly and Brian Burke) sounded so sure Luongo would just go onto LTIR for the remainder of his contract instead of retiring.

I just wanted to apologize to everyone who ever started a topic about or brought up Luongo’s cap recapture penalty, I often said it was pointless to talk about. 

Anyways I was dead wrong and you were all right haha.

Anyways with this $3 million cap hit plus Millers $5.25 million dollar cap hit, Boesers $6-7 million cap hit (assumption) plus other RFAs, we are running out of cap space quick.

We still have players who we can try and move to clear up more cap space like Brandon Sutter or a Louis Eriksson post July 1, only worth trading if you don’t take a worse contract (Lucic). 

What once looked like a free agency period where we could sign 2 big name players, is quickly becoming maybe 1 big name player or more likely 1 2nd tier player overpaid long term (because it’s Free agency).

Should we still try and sign 1 of the top free agents or because of our quickly disintegrating cap space, should we just be patient in free agency and maybe try and actually steal a good player (via trade) from a team in cap hell?

There’s already a topic on this. Since this one has some replies I’m just going to merge them. Cheers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Rules that are created after a legal contract was signed and approved by the league, that retroactively punish that legal contract are something else though.

I heard that they(Canucks/Luongo) knew the consequences and the League told them what would happen.  Perhaps some internet sleuth can dig that out.  IIRC there isn't anything the Nucks can do.  

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Thanks 1

I’m split on the jersey retirement idea.

Personally, I feel like when it comes to a team retiring the #1, it should be for a goalie that’s won a Cup. 

However, Canucks history being what it is, and the precedents set with the current retired jerseys (and comparative careers/achievements of the players who wore them), does Luongo measure up? I lean toward yes.

But if we were to retire the #1, I think the best approach would be a joint ceremony, with both McLean and Luongo going to the rafters. Similar to what the Leafs did with both Turk Broda and Johnny Bower. Of course, the Canucks don’t have the same kind of history as the Leafs, and we really shouldn’t try to compare. But I just like the idea of retiring the number itself, and honouring the two greatest Canucks goalies to wear it, instead of honouring one and not the other.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m split on the jersey retirement idea.

Personally, I feel like when it comes to a team retiring the #1, it should be for a goalie that’s won a Cup. 

However, Canucks history being what it is, and the precedents set with the current retired jerseys (and comparative careers/achievements of the players who wore them), does Luongo measure up? I lean toward yes.

But if we were to retire the #1, I think the best approach would be a joint ceremony, with both McLean and Luongo going to the rafters. Similar to what the Leafs did with both Turk Broda and Johnny Bower. Of course, the Canucks don’t have the same kind of history as the Leafs, and we really shouldn’t try to compare. But I just like the idea of retiring the number itself, and honouring the two greatest Canucks goalies to wear it, instead of honouring one and not the other.

We're going to run out of numbers! I'd say putting him in the ROH would be more appropriate. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

He doesn't want to do the Canucks any favours by going on LTIR.....

I guess there's still bad blood?

There's no bad blood. He would like to work for the Panthers organization one day and they wanted him to straight up retire rather than LTIR.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

So the free agency class of 2022 looks decent with players like Coutourier, Seth Jones, Alexandre Barkov. This could and should be the year the Canucks make a big free agent splash to compete for the cup.

All things said and done today, hopefully the hockey gods give us a break to get Eriksson gone, but if he rides it out as is his right the Canucks would get 9 million in space from those two contracts/penalties off the books.

Hopefully for the time being Juolevi and eventually Woo turn into must have type players. The team can still be competitive

I will be surprised if any of those 3 names hit free agency.

They will all be re-signed before that.

Too bad because I would love Seth Jones

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Had Luongo played though we would never have been treated to this impressive skid mark courtesy of Eddie Lack.

BynSzLxCAAAXv_k.jpg

Now that's a true warrior, not like Luongo with his potty break in OT:bigblush:

• Haha 2

I'll miss tracking his climb up the wins chart.

Thanks for everything, Luuuuuuuuuu

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There's no bad blood. He would like to work for the Panthers organization one day and they wanted him to straight up retire rather than LTIR.

Wouldn't he also be helping the Panthers by being on LTIR too?  Unless they want the recapture.  

He can always just work a side gig a la Chris Pronger.  

Enjoy retirement Bobby Luo, you'll always be #1 in my books!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Wouldn't he also be helping the Panthers by being on LTIR too?  Unless they want the recapture.  

He can always just work a side gig a la Chris Pronger.  

Don't have to pay a retired guy actual cash and a $1m hit is pretty much peanuts.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Don't have to pay a retired guy actual cash and a $1m hit is pretty much peanuts.

Isn't Luongo's contract pay by insurance if he goes on LTIR?

Just now, Lancaster said:

Isn't Luongo's contract pay by insurance if he goes on LTIR?

Likely. And then their insurance rates also likely go up.

Just now, aGENT said:

Likely. And then their insurance rates also likely go up.

I would assume the insurance is calculated on a player-by-player basis... not team-based.  

Would sucks for the Canucks if it was based on team though, lol.