The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Exactly. Everyone knows what a piece of garbage Torts is. 

Garbage would be how he coached here.  Still won the Jack Adams trophy the following season - so it's not like he can't coach (his 2nd Jack Adams trophy win).  Just should be ashamed at cashing Aquilini's cheque as he just 'mailed it in' here imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The only winner that comes out of this is Chicago. They blocked our path to the Cup twice when we were prime to make deep runs, are cap free from Hossa, are on the upswing from a successful retool, and, lastly, bestowed the greatest nickname a player could have.

Thanks for the amazing memories, 7uongo! ::D

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Garbage would be how he coached here.  Still won the Jack Adams trophy the following season - so it's not like he can't coach (his 2nd Jack Adams trophy win).  Just should be ashamed at cashing Aquilini's cheque as he just 'mailed it in' here imho.

Sorry what I was trying to say was Torts is an ass...he was a good coach at times (not necessarily in Vancouver) but giving Lack the start in the outdoor game was simply a dick move...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I think there was a few of our Benning is great guys on here who said that Luongo would finish his career on IR and they would never have to worry about the recapture. Guess what??????     :gocan:

So we lose another 2.2 mil plus we need to keep enough cap space to cover for potential  production bonusses.  It is not leaving much for the club to fill some needs with. I will bet you that our management didn't see this coming. Now they really need to get LE's money off their books.   

• Wat 3

I'll always remember Luongo nearly singlehandedly keeping the Canucks in the final game of the Ducks series and yet all people focused on was the 1 mistake he made. I think that game summed up his time in Vancouver pretty well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not mad Luongo retired and stick Canucks with recapture. The way he was treated by the team and a lot of the fans here when Schneider rise to prominent they were ready to run him out of town driving him to the airport. He doesnt owe the city anything.

When the league wants to fork the Canucks one more time. If this were the Leafs they’d probably make some pathetic exception. Robidas island sound familiar? Absolutely pathetic. 

Otherwise, I pay homage to Luu. Just sucks the League still likes to screw us over.

• Upvote 1

All those that are concerned about the cap recapture penalty need to realize it is very trivial. The Canucks were already paying 800K yearly in retained salary. This just means an extra 2.2M. By all accords, this would have been worse next year and disastrous the following year when that hit goes 4 and 8M respectively. 

If he was was going to pull the plug, this was the right time to do it. 

He really loved this city, fans and team mates. A legend who crushed most of our goalie records. I would have loved for him to have stayed. I blame Torts for his departure. He will undoubtedly have his jersey retired and be in the Hall of Fame.  

• Upvote 3

Louie was the best goaltender to ever suit up for the Nucks and a class act all the way.

hope he find happiness and success with whatever he chooses to do after hockey. 

It’s unfortunate the way his days in Vancouver ended. Torts was a POS to louie. 

The recapture is 100% on Garry Bettman, he and the league approved the louie contract then the rules changed this and other contracts should have been grandfathered. It’s to bad but it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

"The Devils recently applied to the League for reconsideration and relief from a portion of the original penalty, citing primarily changes in circumstances which, in the club's view, changed the appropriateness of the sanctions initially imposed," the NHL said in a statement. "After due and thorough consideration, the League has decided that a modification of the original circumvention penalty associated with the Kovalchuk contract is warranted and, accordingly, has amended the sanctions."

In September 2010, the NHL announced the Devils were being punished with a forfeiture of draft picks and US$3 million for violating Section 26.13(c) of the collective bargaining agreement that has to do with cap circumvention. New Jersey did not have any of its cap space taken away.

Okay, thanks for the details.  As said NJ got out of the cap penalty.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Fateless said:

In three years, that last year of 3 million cap hit will be a huge thorn in our side. That is the year we need to pay our young stars and will likely be the start of us being serious playoff contenders when we want to start loading up. Having a $3,000,000 deficit compared to the other contending teams is a HUGE loss. 

Let’s start by making the playoff this year and we’ll see if we’re even contenders in 3 years.

well cross that bridge when we’re there.  Lots will happen until then : possible lockout, 2 other salary cap increase, arrival of Seattle with potential positive impact on salary cap, Edler, Sutter off the books.

also technically, Lunogo was costing us 800k of cap space , therefore the net value is 2.2M. (Although I agree that with LTIR the impact would have been 0)

still, I don’t think we need to panic now for 3M cap space in 3 years

Edited by timberz21

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

All those that are concerned about the cap recapture penalty need to realize it is very trivial. The Canucks were already paying 800K yearly in retained salary. This just means an extra 2.2M. By all accords, this would have been worse next year and disastrous the following year when that hit goes 4 and 8M respectively. 

If he was was going to pull the plug, this was the right time to do it. 

He really loved this city, fans and team mates. A legend who crushed most of our goalie records. I would have loved for him to have stayed. I blame Torts for his departure. He will undoubtedly have his jersey retired and be in the Hall of Fame.  

I have no issue with those who want to look for silver linings to make themselves feel better about this (ie. 3m-800k=2.2m).

But regardless of how you look at the number, 3m tied up in cap space on a rebuilding team FOR NO OTHER REASON than the league wanting to stick it to you is not trivial. It's a complete joke and extremely frustrating as a fan.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Sorry what I was trying to say was Torts is an ass...he was a good coach at times (not necessarily in Vancouver) but giving Lack the start in the outdoor game was simply a dick move...

Yeah, you know...I seem to remember his after season presser and how he was basically saying that people were holding onto 2011 and that they should try to forget about it. It's over. If you read into that, I think that was a bit of a shot at Kesler and the old core in the room. Basically they had to move on from it. In other words, it's pretty hard to coach a room when you don't have 100% buy in from your core.