The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Which should have been followed by a resignation.  Either Gillis didn't know how harmful this was to the franchise or he didn't care.

When was the last time you walked away from a contract paying you millions?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gillis ultimately signed off on this, accepting responsibility.  A GM with some integrity and professionalism would have resigned rather than knowingly crippling the franchise.  Gillis was either an idiot or a coward.  Either way, he did a fantastic job of screwing the team over years after his departure.

Aquallini signed off on the contract aswell. It makes no sense putting it all on Gillis because he doesn't make the decision for a buyout, all he can do is ask/reccomend/push, its really up to ownership not the GM.

Gillis didn't cripple the franchise, a 3 million dollar cap penalty is hardly 'crippling'.

Considering he got Markstrom for Roberto & Bo Horvat for Schneider, I'd say that's a bigger positive for the franchise's future than a 3M penalty is negative.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

My personal favourtite Lu moment was when he robbed Ben Eager in the playoffs in 09. I was at that game behind Lu in the nose bleeds and it was an unbelievable save to witness in real time. The crowd went beserk, many of us were hoarse afterwards from yelling Lu and I recall the entire arena standing and cheering while the play continued and for about a minute into the stoppage after the whistle blew.

We were lucky to have Lu during his prime!

didn't we lose 5-2 :bigblush:

• Haha 1

I actually don't think Gillis gets credit for how the goaltending situation ended.

He got killed for the Schneider trade, & it ended up being a massive win. The Luongo trade felt like a soft deal at the time, which was understandable to accommodate Roberto, but its ended up working out great getting a younger starter in Markstrom.

The TO media totally vilified the Canucks those years. Basically from 2011 till the end of MG's tenure this organization was sh** on & disrespected at every turn. Anyone ever see the TSN top 10 of Lu's best moments as a Canuck (after the '14 trade)??? Pitiful garbage, un-accurate to any fan of this team. So even on his way out they trashed him/us. 

Ultimately the contract was very good for us, without the lower cap hit we might not've been able to add the extra players to have that run in 2011 & those great teams we had. 

Hopefully we can get out of it, the retro-active penalty is BS, but if not those years are definitely worth a $3M cap hit penalty.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I actually don't think Gillis gets credit for how the goaltending situation ended.

He got killed for the Schneider trade, & it ended up being a massive win. The Luongo trade felt like a soft deal at the time, which was understandable to accommodate Roberto, but its ended up working out great getting a younger starter in Markstrom.

The TO media totally vilified the Canucks those years. Basically from 2011 till the end of MG's tenure this organization was sh** on & disrespected at every turn. Anyone ever see the TSN top 10 of Lu's best moments as a Canuck (after the '14 trade)??? Pitiful garbage, un-accurate to any fan of this team. So even on his way out they trashed him/us. 

Ultimately the contract was very good for us, without the lower cap hit we might not've been able to add the extra players to have that run in 2011 & those great teams we had. 

Hopefully we can get out of it, the retro-active penalty is BS, but if not those years are definitely worth a $3M cap hit penalty.

All of this is true.  There are also  a lot of fans in this city with very short memories.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Because Luongo doesn't have a mystery illness.

As a person with Degenerative Disc Disease in my L3-L4...I’d Call Callahan going on LTIR because of it BS. The word disease throws people off, but man, it’s not career ending by a long shot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Strange as it sounds?

I prefer a athlete retiring, than actually raking in millions to sit on IR. For portions of contacts never intended to be honored by either party...

The real problem was that such deals were ever legal? 

If the cap had any credibility.  It still stings that we will be slapped with cap hits, when others worked around it.

But Vancouver, like all teams signed the new CBA. Nucks management accepted that potential fate. Now, as fans, we have to eat it too...

I think Lou was a great goalie for us. But unlike Edler, he only hung out when we overpaid the sh!t out of him. Gave him tools to jack us for what he wanted after he took our money. And was bailing, using every method possible, to return to Florida. I believe he always felt he had the right to return to Florida. Did not intend to stay her in good faith.  

I respect that he stayed a great goalie and team mate when his heart was elsewhere. But I also have as much loyalty for him, as he had for us.  

Too many sour grapes for me!

• Like 1

Haven’t been here in a long time.  Haven’t bought a piece of Canucks merchandise since Luongo was traded.

(mulitiple jerseys/games/playoff games - when we made it).  

I was actually out of the country when he got f**ked out the Heritage Classic and eventually was traded.  Worst decision ever.  Made a pact with myself to never buy anything from this franchise ever again.  As a EPL football fan we never turn on a player that obviously is giving their all everyday.

i have finally come across a lil with our new management and hope we are going in the right direction.  Still haven’t paid any money to the team (others have paid for tix and amenities).

Luongo did everything for this city and exceeded.  He was the Kwhai (still gotta google the spelling) guy who was as loyal as &^@# to city.

Greatest goalie ever.  Love you Lu and will try to get a championship in my own Mikey mouse league for you my idol.

Bobby Lou, you are the best we have ever seen.  

Thank you, I love you.  

I cried tears of sadness and happiness today.

i wish you the best in retirement sir.

Edited by I_AM_CANUCKIAN

27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I loved Lu but he is not hall of fame worthy.

Too bad he didn't go out on the LTIR like other old players.

Oh well.

He’s not a shoe-in, but I think he’ll eventually get there.

Hardly to ignore, a 2-time Olympic medalist, 2-time World Championship, 6-time all-star, and third amongst goalies in wins.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

He’s not a shoe-in, but I think he’ll eventually get there.

Hardly to ignore, a 2-time Olympic medalist, 2-time World Championship, 6-time all-star, and third amongst goalies in wins.

He is a shoe in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fans never understood the negative value of his 12 year deal.  Or that Lou himself, like Kesler, had an agenda which complicated things  when he wanted to be traded.

I would have preferred to trade Lou and keep Schneids.

But I agree wholeheartedly, that we got a good deal. On trade day, my comments were along the line of I'm pretyy happy considering the situation we were in. With the benefit of hindsight, it was much better! Horvat is the cats ass!

Gillis should also get some cudo's, after many knocks for his drafting. I wanted Nichushkin. So did many / most? And he hit a home run with Bo.

Some of Gillis's best work. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, I_AM_CANUCKIAN said:

Luongo is the best we ever had

The "Best we ever had" were Burrows and Hansen who were the true "Character" players of that regime who tried to help THIS TEAM going out. Not the Sedins, Not Kesler,Not Luongo and sadly,neither will Edler. Only Tanev remains to be seen.

I am so glad that era is over and a new one has begun.

• Upvote 1